PDA

View Full Version : Forum visitors to Kiewa

jefferson
2nd July 2009, 10:36 PM
I'll try again. (The first post died suddenly for some reason).

Calm and Skew arrived up yesterday, purportedly to build a box to house a Geelong footy jumper. I was so thankful when Handy Andy got out of the car, as is he so adept with his hands. :)

Anyway, here are the pics.

A 3 am finish this morning.

Thanks David and Andy for the visit. Great woodworking/ turning instruction and your company. It's made my week.

Jeff

Groggy
2nd July 2009, 10:47 PM
Andy - what's that ugly growth on your feet :oo:

Nice looking shop setup there Jeff, how does the gooseneck light work for you, do the job?

DJ’s Timber
2nd July 2009, 10:48 PM
Looks like a good time was had by all :H

Sorry I couldn't make it this time :C

dai sensei
2nd July 2009, 11:11 PM
Great effort and great time had by the looks of it :2tsup:

It must be really really really cold :cold:

Waldo
2nd July 2009, 11:12 PM

Looks like a dead bit of wood to me.

And I'm having trouble work out which bloke is Skew, one bloke is blurry and the other looks very much like the blurry bloke. :?

jefferson
2nd July 2009, 11:19 PM

Nice looking shop setup there Jeff, how does the gooseneck light work for you, do the job?

Groggy, the light isn't great. Ken W. has a fluoro over his lathe (240w) but the local lighting shop tells me that fluoros over a lathe aren't legal. Something about a strobe effect, so you can't tell whether the lathe is running.

I'm testing the new light tomorrow. If it works, I'll post some pics.

And sorry about the pics guys. The tall blurry one is Calm. And yes, believe it or not, Andy was wearing footwear! (Suck that one in . :D)

Jeff

Calm
2nd July 2009, 11:30 PM
Before any rumours or inuendo occur - i was the one who did all the work:D:D:D:D

the other 2 consumed a considerable - no, a fair bot - no, a bloody lot - no even more than that in VB cans while i displayed my considerable talents.

Thanks for the good feed, bed and the use of all your machinery Jeff.

Cheers

Waldo
2nd July 2009, 11:32 PM
Before any rumours or inuendo occur - i was the one who did all the work:D:D:D:D

the other 2 consumed a considerable - no, a fair bot - no, a bloody lot - no even more than that in VB cans while i displayed my considerable talents.

Cheers

Vitamins are important to doing an honest days work. :2tsup:

jefferson
2nd July 2009, 11:48 PM

Cheers

It brought me no end of joy to see that Calm had brought the very-handy Andy with him. I was feeling the pressure there for a while.....:~

But all turned out well.

And as for David doing ANY work, I think he only touched the piece once with some sandpaper after the glue-up. Andy did the rest. :D:D:D:D

As for the machines, David, what didn't we use? The Woodwizz for one (hasn't been used in 5 years), the biscuit joiner and probably not much else. I did like the play and I hope you like my toys.

I think I do need a belt / drum sander though. Just to make it easier for the visitors:2tsup:!

And a great stay. Thanks for the company and come back soon. Or the cook and I will come visiting soon with DJ???

Jeff

Skew ChiDAMN!!
2nd July 2009, 11:57 PM
It must be really really really cold :cold:

I had to wear 'em. Jeff has his lathe set up so damned high that I needed a 4" high lump of wood on top of a 6" high pile of shavings just to be able to see over the rest. :~ Every extra mm of height helped, including standing on sheep...

It would've been a lot easier if Jeff let me use some real tools instead of a bent nail held in a pair of vice-grips. :rolleyes:

But we were well fed and watered, Jeff and his wife were gracious hosts. Not even any complaints about leaving sawdust in the sheets. (Or maybe they just didn't notice in time? :p) I had a ball seeing if I could use every tool in Jeff's Shed at least once. And I nearly made it too... but I baulked at the Triton hidden in the corner for some reason.

Well worth the square bum to get there. (It'd be nice if I could remember more of yesterday, though. :innocent:)

Waldo
3rd July 2009, 12:03 AM
(It'd be nice if I could remember more of yesterday, though. :innocent:)

Yesterday was Wednesday. :D

It goes Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
3rd July 2009, 12:07 AM
Yesterday was Wednesday. :D

It goes Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

Ah. Now what Month is it? June? :p

Waldo
3rd July 2009, 12:08 AM
:dunno:

tea lady
3rd July 2009, 01:30 AM
Looks like a fun time was had by all.:D I notice has labeled your spindle turning tools "real tools" .:rolleyes: Your bottle collection looks interesting.:cool:

jefferson
3rd July 2009, 01:33 AM
Looks like a fun time was had by all.:D I notice has labeled your spindle turning tools "real tools" .:rolleyes: Your bottle collection looks interesting.:cool:

Tea Lady, we had a great time. Thanks.

I will post some pics of 's other scribblings. There's a whole board-full of instruction (which I can't post because of the language) but the one on my cyclone - not yet connected reads:

THE EAGLE HAS LANDED.

Typical of , isn't it?

Jeff

tea lady
3rd July 2009, 01:36 AM
Tea Lady, we had a great time. Thanks.

I will post some pics of 's other scribblings. There's a whole board-full of instruction (which I can't post because of the language) but the one on my cyclone - not yet connected reads:

THE EAGLE HAS LANDED.

Typical of , isn't it?

JeffBetter hide all the textas if he comes to my place then.:C

artme
3rd July 2009, 08:34 AM
Good to see a shed with shavings on the floor.

What happened to Dave?Beneath his dignity to turn on a lowly Vicmarc?:D:D:p

Rum Pig
3rd July 2009, 08:45 AM
Good to see:2tsup::2tsup: but I'm disappointed in the choice of dietary supplements:o, VB:doh:

Harry72
3rd July 2009, 02:59 PM
The Vic is definitely bigger than you Skew... at least your attire is colour coded to match!

Grumpy John
3rd July 2009, 07:29 PM
Calm and Skew arrived up yesterday, purportedly to build a box to house a Geelong footy jumper.

Are you gunna bury it Jeff :D :stirthepot:.

Dimmeys musta been having a sale on blue checked shirts last week :oo:.

Calm
3rd July 2009, 08:16 PM
Good to see a shed with shavings on the floor.

What happened to Dave?Beneath his dignity to turn on a lowly Vicmarc?:D:D:p

Firstly Arthur, even STUBBY owners lower their standards sometimes - just to please those peasant infidels:D:D:D:D

Bad luck Jeff & Skew - future SIL came over tonight to tell me which end was up before i put the hooks in to hang it.

This one is for a St Kilda jumper # 35 for his mothers birthday next Wednesday. GAve it a couple of coats of Poly satin tonight will post photos after they give it to their mother next week.

Thinks it is absolutely bloody fantabulous.. problem is his father has a Geelong jumper and he reckons when they see it they will want one for it as well.:B:B:o

Cheers and thanks again for the help/doing the job/the while lot while i sat and watched:B:B

jefferson
3rd July 2009, 11:01 PM
Cheers and thanks again for the help/doing the job/the while lot while i sat and watched:B:B

Calm - sat and watched you did. For two days. And you should be red-faced too. :B

Lucky Andy was here to guide the project along to fruition. (I now call him Handy Andy, 'cause that what he is! :p).

And if you want a case for a Collingwood jumper, please look elsewhere.

Jeff

jefferson
5th July 2009, 11:23 PM

Groggy,

Did I forget to respond to your query about the goose-neck? The switch on the light has died twice now so am not happy. :((

But I have sort-of replaced it with a better set-up. Once I get the turning corner sorted out, I'll post.

Jeff

Groggy
5th July 2009, 11:27 PM
Thanks Jeff!

Calm
8th July 2009, 06:09 PM
Here are some pictures of the finished Jumper frame made on the trip to Keiwa.
This was for my future SIL mother whose birthday was today.

She thinks it is great so thanks to Jeff and Andy for talking to me while i made it:p:p:D:D:D

Note - the accuracy of MY corners.

Now i'v cropped them all the photos look the same ah well BTW it's no 35 for those who were wondering.

Cheers

Skew ChiDAMN!!
8th July 2009, 06:53 PM
Another inch wider and an inch and a half taller, and it would've been perfect. Ah well, thems the breaks when the whole job description is basically "about this wide and that tall." :rolleyes:

I'm mightily impressed with Jefferson's SCMS. It did a very, very nice job on those mitres. It's take a sled on a TS to get 'em any better. :)

Hope she enjoyed her birthday.

jefferson
8th July 2009, 06:55 PM

She thinks it is great so thanks to Jeff and Andy for talking to me while i made it:p:p:D:D:D

Now i'v cropped them all the photos look the same ah well BTW it's no 35 for those who were wondering.

Cheers

You've just gotta like David for trying to impress. He lies pretty well too.

Andy and I cut the slab into planks on the sliding table saw. We then jointed and thicknessed. (I knocked off at that stage, about 3 pm and started on a beer. Last beer not much before 3 am next day. :oo:).

Andy, very Handy Andy then took over.

He cut the rebates on the little Jet TS, then the beading detail on the router table, then onto the Saw Stop to relieve the piece so it wasn't too heavy. Finally, all of the mitres.

Then Andy got the Domino out and put it all together.

You may be wondering what Calm was doing all this time???? Absolutely nothing. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: I repeat, NOTHING.

All David did was sand the piece on completion. Oops, sorry, he did get my hand planes out the day before and worked a sweat up. :D:D

David is definitely Foreman material. He's no Darksider and doesn't like to get his hands overly dirty either.

But as Bert said to Ali, we all like the boy.

Jeff

RETIRED
8th July 2009, 07:26 PM

CheersYep, concealed wiggle nails work well, don't they?:whistling2:

Groggy
8th July 2009, 07:28 PM
Yep, concealed wiggle nails work well, don't they?:whistling2:Or, maybe he cut a rectangle out of a larger panel and drew some lines for mitres :wink:

RETIRED
8th July 2009, 07:31 PM
Or, maybe he cut a rectangle out of a larger panel and drew some lines for mitres :wink:That is possible because Jeff hass some slabs to be able to do that.:wink:

Calm
8th July 2009, 08:13 PM
Another inch wider and an inch and a half taller, and it would've been perfect. Ah well, thems the breaks when the whole job description is basically "about this wide and that tall." :rolleyes:

I'm mightily impressed with Jefferson's SCMS. It did a very, very nice job on those mitres. It's take a sled on a TS to get 'em any better. :)

Hope she enjoyed her birthday.

The glass is about 633 x 734 so the measurements of 700 x 900 must have been inside aye

Thanks Skew

Cheers

Ed Reiss
8th July 2009, 09:57 PM
Jeff, don't be hard on David...his head is still in the clouds 'cause he got a Stubby:roll:

What the hell is a Geelong footy jumper :?

Waldo
8th July 2009, 10:02 PM
Handy Andy on a Domino? He's on the downward slope now. :doh: and a Sawstop too? He's definitely had it.

And playing in a shed, that's really done it. :D

RETIRED
8th July 2009, 10:20 PM
Handy Andy on a Domino? He's on the downward slope now. :doh: and a Sawstop too? He's definitely had it.

And playing in a shed, that's really done it. :DWith SHOES on, no less. The Neanderthal image is shot I think.:D

jefferson
9th July 2009, 12:22 AM
Jeff, don't be hard on David...his head is still in the clouds 'cause he got a Stubby:roll:

What the hell is a Geelong footy jumper :?

Ed, to be quite frank, it's now Open Season on Calm. When someone on the Board puts other's work up as their own, well, it's open slather. :D:D

Andy (AKA Skew) did all the hard stuff. Nice work Andy, again. :2tsup::2tsup: You've sure impressed the you-know-what out of me.

Waldo,

I hope Andy enjoyed playing with my tools. What did we miss, guys? We didn't play on the WoodWizz and the el-cheapo Triton router table. No biscuits or dowels either.

(Calm did play on the bandsaw, but that wasn't part of the project). :U

But I think we got to use most of my play-things. I'll never wear them out, so no bother at all. Some of you guys better get up here between Xmas and New Year and blow the cobwebs off.....

As for you , master, I am now two feet ahead of you. Skew's feet to be precise. Yes, Andy did put the sheepskins on (it was and is cold up here, not far from the snow). I'm still chuckling.. :p

And I do feel chuffed. Blessed in fact, as Andy wears nothing on his feet down at Tooradin..... :D:D

I must learn how to do this multi-quote stuff. :?

DJ might show me how next week.

Jeff