PDA

View Full Version : Meat Mallet Stand

Seventh Wood
3rd July 2009, 05:58 AM
Hi All,

My smallest bowl to date is a stand I made for my SA Blue Gum meat mallet - also in SA Blue Gum, but not the same tree - this one is redder. It has a 50 mm wide recess to match the domed end of the mallet and works a treat.

I decided to make it after SWMBO complained that the meat mallet was always in the way, or falling over when propped in the corner of the kitchen. The stand sits flat on the kitchen bench and the underside has a recessed dovetail for mounting.

Cheers,

7th Wood

artme
3rd July 2009, 08:24 AM
Both nice pieces.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

All the meat in Qld. Is very tender. I'd forgotten about meat mallets.:D:rolleyes::q

Rum Pig
3rd July 2009, 08:33 AM
All the meat in Qld. Is very tender. I'd forgotten about meat mallets.:D:rolleyes::q
That is because it is all road kill and has already been tenderised for you:U:D:q:doh:

Nice mallet and the stand is a great match SW :2tsup::2tsup:
what did you use as a finish on the mallet?

Seventh Wood
4th July 2009, 09:26 AM
Yes,

We need mallets to tenderise the crows that we eat here in SA. But they are also useful for tenderising abolone.

Rum Pig, the finish is only paraffin oil, which I use on anything that will touch food, like cheeseboards and chopping boards. I also use the odd dab of beeswax. I have met people who use Danish Oil, but when you check the MSDS for some of the chemical components of Danish Oil, there is no way you should use it on food articles.

Like Richard Raffan says, a useful weapon to have lying about the kitchen.

Cheers,

7th Wood