Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    41

    Default Open Day & Hand Tool event at Melbourne Guild of Fine Woodworking

    This Saturday and Sunday there is annual Open Day and Hand Tool at Melbourne Guild of Fine Woodworking.

    Details are at Melbourne Guild of Fine Woodworking | Education Dedicated Towards Traditional Skills

  2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Advertising world
    Posts
    Many





     
  3. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Leopold, Victoria
    Age
    60
    Posts
    2,932

    Default

    Took the trip there today and it was good to see the demos happening and the quality tools for sale.
    There was a display of some of the excellent work that students had completed.
    Took a few photos if anyone is interested.

    MGoFW_1.jpg MGoFW_2.jpg MGoFW_3.jpg

    MGoFW_4.jpg MGoFW_5.jpg MGoFW_6.jpg
    Cheers,
    Dallas

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Sydney
    Age
    31
    Posts
    2,269

    Default

    I must have been standing to your left when you took that photo of Steve Latta doing his demo. Hes a real pro and an excellent presenter, I really enjoyed his presentations.
    The infill smoothers were so nice also, my first time using one and was impressed.

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Leopold, Victoria
    Age
    60
    Posts
    2,932

    Default

    Pity it has been so long since I had seen you otherwise I might have recognised you wandering around. Yes those planes were beautiful weren't they with a tremendous amount of work going in to making them. Very interesting and detailed work that Steve does too.

  6. #5
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Albury
    Posts
    1,221

    Default

    Do you know what that slab is Dallas? It's absolutely stunning.
    Forum members PM me for a discount on all my products - stores.ebay.com.au/aldavsstore

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Leopold, Victoria
    Age
    60
    Posts
    2,932

    Default

    I'm not sure if I remember correctly but I thought I heard the name Mesquite mentioned. It came from a property in Clifton Hill.
    Maybe saladonion or someone else who was there may have heard the name and remember it. Whatever it was it was was certainly impressive, much like a burl.

  8. #7
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Not far enough away from Melbourne
    Posts
    2,719

    Default

    I went there on the Saturday for a short while as I am in the middle of moving house and did not have much time. Several demos and several hours later I went home.

    It was a great day and I agree with those who said Steve Latta was well worth going to see. He is doing a Seminar on 29 June at MGFW and I was so impressed with his knowledge and presentation style that I booked a spot for myself.
    Doug3030's Open Shed Day 2018 - Sunday 14 October. Hoppers Crossing
    See here for details:
    http://www.woodworkforums.com/f303/d...88#post2070740

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    41

    Default

    I am glad that you had a good time! I was there Saturday most of the day but couldn't make it on Sunday.

    The slab is Sycamore. It is from a 150 year old tree at a day care centre at Clifton Hill. I think the tree was dying or dead.

    Steve has a wealth of knowledge and is a really nice guy too. I heard recently Mike Pekovich on Fine Woodworking podcast describe him as one of his woodworking Gods.

    Quote Originally Posted by Treecycle View Post
    I'm not sure if I remember correctly but I thought I heard the name Mesquite mentioned. It came from a property in Clifton Hill.
    Maybe saladonion or someone else who was there may have heard the name and remember it. Whatever it was it was was certainly impressive, much like a burl.
    Sent from my SHIELD Tablet K1 using Tapatalk

  10. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    41

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by doug3030 View Post
    I went there on the Saturday for a short while as I am in the middle of moving house and did not have much time. Several demos and several hours later I went home.

    It was a great day and I agree with those who said Steve Latta was well worth going to see. He is doing a Seminar on 29 June at MGFW and I was so impressed with his knowledge and presentation style that I booked a spot for myself.
    See you there on 29th Doug. I couldn't do any of the classes with him, work commitments. Looking forward to the seminar though.

    Sent from my SHIELD Tablet K1 using Tapatalk

  11. #10
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Not far enough away from Melbourne
    Posts
    2,719

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by saladonion View Post
    Steve has a wealth of knowledge and is a really nice guy too. I heard recently Mike Pekovich on Fine Woodworking podcast describe him as one of his woodworking Gods.
    He is a bit of a name-dropper though - He said that he was taught veneering by Tage Frid

    All jokes aside, he told me FAR MORE than I will ever need to know about hide glue, and that was just in a free public demo.
    Doug3030's Open Shed Day 2018 - Sunday 14 October. Hoppers Crossing
    See here for details:
    http://www.woodworkforums.com/f303/d...88#post2070740

  12. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    41

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by doug3030 View Post
    He is a bit of a name-dropper though - He said that he was taught veneering by Tage Frid

    All jokes aside, he told me FAR MORE than I will ever need to know about hide glue, and that was just in a free public demo.
    Great that you made the veneering and hide glue session. I saw it happening from the distance but discouraged by the number of people around his bench.

Similar Threads

  1. Melbourne guild of fine woodworking - perch stool course
    By MGFWoodworking in forum ANNOUNCEMENTS
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 18th Jun 2012, 04:34 PM
  2. Lie-Nielson Hand tool event
    By FRB Design in forum ANNOUNCEMENTS
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 25th Jan 2011, 05:59 PM
  3. hand tool event
    By mrmoon in forum HAND TOOLS - UNPOWERED
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 1st Dec 2010, 12:22 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •