Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Thread: Decking Screws

Default Decking Screws

Hi guys!

Ive got a question about some decking screws. Im looking to build a covered deck with treated pine frame, and merbau decking. Theres a website (Bolts Nuts Screws Online bolts, nuts screws, stainless steel, decking screws, batten screws, high tensile, set screw, cap screw, coach bolt, self tappers, decking screws bolts,nuts,screws,stainless steel,Hi tensile,mild steel,decking screws,) that has 304 grade stainless 10Gx50mm for $90 per thou. My question is about quality of 304 grade screws in general, or if you have had any experience with these screws in particular, let me know.

A friend of mine suggested to use 316 screws, but quite frankly, I dont want to pay double the price. Ive read a lot of threads about screws shearing, but if I were to find out what torque setting to use on the driver and lubricate the tip, should that be ok? The hardwood will be predrilled.

Looking forward to your comments!

Cheers,
    Pete

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Go 316 Yep, you pay double per thousand, so far as them shearing I only did about 4 screws in about 1,200

I didn't lubricate anything, just pre-drilled and countersunk with the right bit and it was too easy.
    I make things, I just take a long time.

www.brandhouse.net.au

I have used stainless screws in the past and yes they wont rust and they look shiny and yes they are very expensive , I now use climseal screws which are still a self tapper just like any ordinary screw but have a green or dark grey coating on them and are designed for working with treated pine any good nut and bolt shop should stock them. no shearing and no burring of the heads like s/steel .good luck