Thanks Thanks:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Thread: Chisel Set

Default Chisel Set

Looking for an Australian supplier of a set of four containing-- 25mm, 19mm, 12mm bevel edged with a 6mm mortise chisel.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Do you mean an Aussie manufacturer, or a distributor? And what kind of budget? You could go for a set of bahco from bunnings, right through to Harold and Saxon.
    Some days we are the flies; some days we are the windscreen

G'day & all so do you need New Or Used

Default The Chisels.

Morning Gary,
    Wood it matter if you went back to Imperial.
    If so, you could pickup some of those Chisels at the Local Sunday Markets, & much cheaper than what you are planning.
    If time permitted, to look, I may even have a few, Imperial that is, & anyway the older the better the steel, IHO.
    Regards,
    issatree.
    Have Lathe, Wood Travel.

Quote Originally Posted by issatree View Post
    Morning Gary,
    Wood it matter if you went back to Imperial.
    If so, you could pickup some of those Chisels at the Local Sunday Markets, & much cheaper than what you are planning.
    If time permitted, to look, I may even have a few, Imperial that is, & anyway the older the better the steel, IHO.
    I agree. Much better steel quality with the earlier imperial chisels. 1", 3/4", 1/2", 1/4".

Or you could just get a set or two of the Aldi $12.99 chisels if there are any left in a store near you.

Thanks everyone. Looking at new chisels, about 30 sets for a high school order. We can get the 25mm, 19mm and 12 or 13mm bevel edged easily but no mortise 6mm as a set of four. A Marples/Irwin set of 3 blue handled bevel edge is in the $29 range from a school wholesaler. To make up the set, but not matching, we can purchase a 6mm Mortise Hamlet that cost about $36 each, which is $8 more than the set of three which is quite rediculous. So there is a budget involved.

Apparently, the chisel firms stopped including the 6mm mortise in their sets about 6 or 7 years ago.

Thought someone may have known a maker, within our budget, that still includes the 6mm mortise in the set of four.

Paul Sellers has given a good review of the Aldi sets for his school use.
    Aldi Supermarket Chisels are Here Again | Paul Sellers

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzie View Post
    Paul Sellers has given a good review of the Aldi sets for his school use.
    Aldi Supermarket Chisels are Here Again | Paul Sellers
    I haven't given mine the workout Paul Sellers has but I was pleasantly surprised by the edge retention. Picked up the last set at our nearest Aldi for our son.
    Cheers,
    Jim

Narex from leevalley.com (among others) ?

+1 for Narex, but I don't know of an Australian distributor? ( the Narex 6mm mortise chisel is available in the US for $12.99 from HighlandWoodworking )

Value for money you'd never beat Aldi $12.99 for a set of 4 chisels, that's just ridiculous. But, how would you go about buying 30 sets?

I suspect the Aldi pricing is based on getting you into their store.

Bunnings sell the Stanley 5000 3 chisel set for $29.85, and I'd bet you could get a quantity discount Stanely 5000 Series 3 Piece Long Blade Chisel Set I/N 5562306 | Bunnings Warehouse

Supercheap sell a 3 chisel set for $19.99, but I'd want to have a close look at the quality first. SCA Wood Chisel Set - 3 Piece - Supercheap Auto Australia

Sorry, not much help I know, but if you could find an Australian Distributor for Narex, that would be a good choice.

So the best suggestion I can offer is to contact Narex Welcome and see if they have a distributor, and maybe make up some sets that include a 6mm mortise chisel along with the 3 bevel edge chisels, You never know.

Regards
    Ray

Jim Davey has a Woodriver set listed for $72

How much time have you got? A couple of Sundays and you should be able to get what you need from the markets. Go for old Titans and Bergs ("shark chisels"). Most Titans on the market are flat side registered firmers so not as slim as a bevelled edge chisel but great steel. They did make bevelled edge types but these don't seem to be as common. Their 1/4" registered fimer would make a fine mortice chisel.

Good luck with the hunt,
    Virg.

Quote Originally Posted by Kidbee View Post
    Thanks everyone. Looking at new chisels, about 30 sets for a high school order. We can get the 25mm, 19mm and 12 or 13mm bevel edged easily but no mortise 6mm as a set of four. A Marples/Irwin set of 3 blue handled bevel edge is in the $29 range from a school wholesaler. To make up the set, but not matching, we can purchase a 6mm Mortise Hamlet that cost about $36 each, which is $8 more than the set of three which is quite rediculous. So there is a budget involved.

Apparently, the chisel firms stopped including the 6mm mortise in their sets about 6 or 7 years ago.

Thought someone may have known a maker, within our budget, that still includes the 6mm mortise in the set of four.
    OK, now understand that the sets must be metric and probably purchased new

Do the school purchasing rules mean you have to buy from an Australian distributor?

getting the 4 chisels you want in a set might be impossible, are you prepared to store the mortice chisels separately to the bevel edge ones?

are you prepared to store the chisels in a tool roll, or do they have to be in a box or case.
    regards from Alberta, Canada

ian