Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default flattening plates

Hi guys, there are a few flattening plates on the market but the ones i have looked more closely is the Veritas and the shapton. There seem to be a huge difference in the plates. I'm talking about the cast iron plates used for flattening off yr stones etc.
    So anyone have any experience with both that can draw some conclusion?

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

For what it's worth I just use a large thick piece of Floated glass seems to work just fine.

Cheers

Steve
    Discover your Passion and Patience follows.
    www.fineboxes.com.au

Hi Steve, i use glass at the moment as well. Just looking for a little cleaner solution that's all.

Quote Originally Posted by sinjin View Post
    Hi guys, there are a few flattening plates on the market but the ones i have looked more closely is the Veritas and the shapton. There seem to be a huge difference in the plates. I'm talking about the cast iron plates used for flattening off yr stones etc.
    So anyone have any experience with both that can draw some conclusion?
    Hi Sinjin

The flattening plates you mention are for two different purposes.

The Veritas plate is for lapping blades or planes. Just a plate (although ground with precision). It uses loose grit.

The Shapton is for lapping waterstones. It is a diamond plate made to very high tolerances.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Visit www.inthewoodshop.com for tutorials on constructing handtools, handtool reviews, and my trials and tribulations with furniture builds.

I use a piece of marble from a kitchen worktop. Kitchen fitters who use this material always have a bit left over that they cut out to fit the sink. If you ask nicely they'll give it to you for free.

Default lap lapping plate?

Where this whole lapping plate situation confuses me is what does one use to lap his lapping plate once that is slightly worn?
    If your lapping the sole of your plane with grit or lapping a stone(who's function is to wear away metal) on a plate then surely it will wear down over time also.

I just use 12mm glass with wet&dry or sanding belts for rougher grits. No problems so far. The plusses with glass marble etc is you can get it cut to a larger size than most conventional lapping plates come, so you get longer strokes before the heel/toe of your plane or whatever overlaps the edge.
    Makes more sense to me

Regards,

Lewis Allen.

Hi Lewis i'm the same as you.. i use glass and WD paper.. i just wanted to get it a bit cleaner using plates. The plate from Shapton is around the $500US mark..bit of a gob smack..

The "Diamond lapping plate" as they call it seems to be for the glass stones? and you can get it considerably cheaper Sharpening Supplies - Shapton Ceramic Water Stones.

And for general stone truing they offer these.

Haven't tried either sorry, but have been researching a fair bit recently as I am up for a purchase of a new sharpening system also, but not for a while.

Lie-Nielsen Australia are also Shapton dealers from memory so maybe give them a call.

Hope this Helps.

For flattening my carborundum oil stones I use a concrete paver ,water and garnet blasting grit .
    I use a circular figure of 8 pattern turning the stone end to end frequently and keep the grinding medium fairly wet .

Kev
    "Outside of a dog a book is man's best friend ,inside a dog it's too dark to read"
    Groucho Marx

You can view a video on this blog about flattening waterstones using a diamond whetstone.

| giant Cypress

This blog is by member wilburpan.

I think it is a very simple and easy way to keep your waterstones flat.

Cheers

Gunn

Is there more potential for actually putting convex camber on your stone by doing plate to stone rather than the usual stone to plate? I saw Rob Cosman do it on one of his online videos recently (with Shapton stones and plate) and I thought "he seem to know what he's doing in this whole woodwork lark but it just doesn't look right". And now the Giant cypress is doing it too. Have been doing it all wrong?

Cheerio,
    Virg.

The top of the line flattening plate from shapton is a double sided unit. It cost around the $500.00 US...so can only imagine what it costs here in Aust.

Shapton have a few options in plates, and at different prices. The double sided one has one side for lapping blades and the other for waterstones. Not necessary.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Visit www.inthewoodshop.com for tutorials on constructing handtools, handtool reviews, and my trials and tribulations with furniture builds.

Which one did you get Derick?? Derick by chance you don't have any links for the N02 or NO 3 Lie Neilson do you??

Hi Sinjin

Basic, single-side. On the right ..

A cheaper alternative is the Extra Coarse DMT diamond stone on the left.

Links to LN planes? Not sure what you mean.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast