(There is an index for this monster thread that Biting Midge was kicking off here - it is just down this page or you can click here
And the Peter's Eureka Canoe website is here with more detail. Also the Eureka is a simple to build conventional canoe. I did do an experiment with something crazy simple - the Quick Canoe - the discussion is here http://www.woodworkforums.com/f169/d...g-pics-109997/ If you are after a "proper" canoe then the Eureka might suit your needs, but if you want a really simple to build fun canoe that still works the Quick Canoe)
The boat bit of this forum is curious...lots of visits but few posts!
After promising him for about three years that I'd prototype the panel development for him, Adelaide based designer Michael Storer has finally given up and pai a visit! Soooo after spending most of yesterday sailing my Goat Island Skiff in the Mooloola River, we got to in the shed and built a quarter of a canoe!!
The Eureka 5 (I think that's it's current name) will be the new version of the 16 foot version of Michael's 12 foot Eureka Canoe, and I have to say it looks pretty darned good!!
Basically it's a very simple to build five-panel/two sheets of plywood 16 footer, and as usual Michael has been able to squeeze maximum "bang for your buck" out of a very simple construction method. It will be built using the stitch and tape method with no frames required (those shown are just to hold up our prototype while we mucked around tuning the panels) and should be very quick and easy to build.(Which is just as well, because I have a very short attention span!!)
The compound curves on the bow/stern section are both pretty and provide plenty of stiffness to the structure.
1) Storer looking as perplexed as all do when watching me work; a very rare site indeed, and judging by the expression I am about to cut something.
2)Front/rear view -note that the stem will be only two sheets of ply thick, the photo shows a temporary form as well as the hull panel.
3) Side elevation- well one half anyway, but we know the panels fit really nicely now. (being leant on by yours truly. Note dust extraction ducting on the floor rather than connected to machinery!!! (sigh!).
I hope to finish the real one by Christmas (!) and probably will get it done before the dust extraction system at the rate that is happening!
For further information, email Michael direct at the address shown on the pic, PM me...or watch this space for progress!
Building boats again and happy!
:D :D :D