Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Check this out

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Katherine ,Northern Territory
    Age
    60
    Posts
    1,983
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Check this out

    I'm a modeller as well ,(sort of in suspension) haven't built anything for a while , but the modelling bug has led me to metal work and woodwork ,although my trade is Fitting and Turning , I've always enjoyed woodwork ,did it in high school and couldn't find a trade in woodworking I turned to metal work.

    I bought a metal lathe so I could turn aluminium barrels and other metal parts for my armour models and used wood work to make display bases for my models , one thing leads to another .
    Any way I still visit a few websites to see what happening and I found this this evening
    http://spitfiresite.com/hobbies/mode...k-ix-model.htm

    This guy has what I call AMD (advanced modelers' disease ) has to add all the little details and make every thing perfectly idential to the full sized original.
    But what a fantastic achievement this is a real knock out.

    Kev.
    "Outside of a dog a book is man's best friend ,inside a dog it's too dark to read"
    Groucho Marx

  2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Advertising world
    Age
    2010
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Newtown Geelong
    Posts
    1,930
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Woodlee View Post
    I'm a modeller as well ,(sort of in suspension) haven't built anything for a while , but the modelling bug has led me to metal work and woodwork ,although my trade is Fitting and Turning , I've always enjoyed woodwork ,did it in high school and couldn't find a trade in woodworking I turned to metal work.

    I bought a metal lathe so I could turn aluminium barrels and other metal parts for my armour models and used wood work to make display bases for my models , one thing leads to another .
    Any way I still visit a few websites to see what happening and I found this this evening
    http://spitfiresite.com/hobbies/mode...k-ix-model.htm

    This guy has what I call AMD (advanced modelers' disease ) has to add all the little details and make every thing perfectly idential to the full sized original.
    But what a fantastic achievement this is a real knock out.

    Kev.
    Hi Woodlee
    I like the Spitfire,and the Model.Would love to be that good with metal.Sadly i will never be.But if I was that good I would never go to that extreme.
    Back To Car Building & All The Sawdust.

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Gold Coast, QLD
    Age
    56
    Posts
    170
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Spitfire is amazing... he may as well go the last degree and add working machine-guns.

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    4,615
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    12

    Default

    That's so beautiful it hurts my eyes to look upon it.

    Cheers
    Michael

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Victoria
    Posts
    1,857
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Wow

    Wow that's impressive devotion to authenticity and easy to see why, that is a beautiful plane, let alone the aesthetics, I imagine the ride was at least outrageously thrilling!

    Thanks Woodlee, are you able to post some pics of your armour models?

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Perth - SOR
    Age
    68
    Posts
    468
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    What a beautiful piece of work. I hate to say it but as it doesn't do it for me; for all the effort - and I do admit it, he has ended up with a magnificent piece of work, but a spitfire should not be polished ally.

    Gripe over, I wonder what defines a model and what is not a model. In the Bull creek aviation museum here in W.A. is a magnificent 5?8 scale hurricane - is that a model, a replica or what?

    Denn

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Newtown Geelong
    Posts
    1,930
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dennford View Post
    What a beautiful piece of work. I hate to say it but as it doesn't do it for me; for all the effort - and I do admit it, he has ended up with a magnificent piece of work, but a spitfire should not be polished ally.

    Gripe over, I wonder what defines a model and what is not a model. In the Bull creek aviation museum here in W.A. is a magnificent 5?8 scale hurricane - is that a model, a replica or what?

    Denn
    A Model for sure 5/8 scale as you said
    Back To Car Building & All The Sawdust.

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Katherine ,Northern Territory
    Age
    60
    Posts
    1,983
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by springwater View Post
    Wow that's impressive devotion to authenticity and easy to see why, that is a beautiful plane, let alone the aesthetics, I imagine the ride was at least outrageously thrilling!

    Thanks Woodlee, are you able to post some pics of your armour models?

    Here are some of my models , some of the pics are a bit lousy but you ll see what I have built.

    First & 5th pic. Pattern 13 Quad Gun Tractor (Canadian markings)
    The detail underside , has a wire rope on the winch which was made from fine scrap wire wound up to look lile cable .The rope can be pulled out and wound back up on the winch ,using a finger to turn the winch drum.
    Pic 2 &3 German Panzer III Ausf J
    Pic Eight wheeled German Armoured car

    Kev
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Outside of a dog a book is man's best friend ,inside a dog it's too dark to read"
    Groucho Marx

  10. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Newtown Geelong
    Posts
    1,930
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Woodlee you are a bit of an allrounder hey.Not sure on the cactus growing though.I grow yukas but I wouldnt tell anyone though
    Back To Car Building & All The Sawdust.

Similar Threads

  1. check this out
    By old_picker in forum MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 22nd Jun 2008, 02:00 PM
  2. Check this out
    By Elbow in forum WOODWORK - GENERAL
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 14th Nov 2007, 09:35 PM
  3. Check this out!
    By gazaly in forum TRITON / GMC
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 20th Aug 2005, 08:28 PM
  4. Check this
    By John Saxton in forum WOODTURNING - GENERAL
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 6th Nov 2000, 03:47 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •