Page 80 of 80 FirstFirst ... 3070757677787980
Results 1,186 to 1,194 of 1194
  1. #1186
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Range View, Australia
    Posts
    668

    Thumbs up

    Staggeringly Awesome Groggy! I feel like a real slacker now.
    Cheers, Bill

  2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Advertising world
    Posts
    Many





     
  3. #1187
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Sydney, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    66

    Default

    wow Groggy, i've just spent the last 4 nights slowly reading through the posts in this thread and are inspired to make my own bench. I'm just trying to get my head around the logisitics and the weight of the top!

  4. #1188
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Melbourne
    Age
    58
    Posts
    12,858

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JT View Post
    wow Groggy, i've just spent the last 4 nights slowly reading through the posts in this thread and are inspired to make my own bench. I'm just trying to get my head around the logisitics and the weight of the top!
    I'm sure when you decide to make one you will do well. The task is 90% research and understanding what you are going to do with it, the other 10% is the build. The skills you pick up along the way with research and advice, reading the forums certainly helps. Regarding the top, the temporary support frame for the top that I made was a really good idea and let me use the frame as a bench, I was able to disassemble the temp frame without removing the top.

    Good luck with your bench, a WIP is a good way to help you think things through.

  5. #1189
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Adelaide, SA
    Posts
    978

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Groggy View Post
    I'm sure when you decide to make one you will do well. The task is 90% research and understanding what you are going to do with it, the other 10% is the build. The skills you pick up along the way with research and advice, reading the forums certainly helps. Regarding the top, the temporary support frame for the top that I made was a really good idea and let me use the frame as a bench, I was able to disassemble the temp frame without removing the top.

    Good luck with your bench, a WIP is a good way to help you think things through.
    I second that. My WIP has taught my loads about building a bench (as well as confuse me somewhat when everyone gives their much appreciated advice!). Not sure if I could have made one without this forum.

  6. #1190
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Sydney, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    66

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Groggy View Post
    I'm sure when you decide to make one you will do well. The task is 90% research and understanding what you are going to do with it, the other 10% is the build. The skills you pick up along the way with research and advice, reading the forums certainly helps. Regarding the top, the temporary support frame for the top that I made was a really good idea and let me use the frame as a bench, I was able to disassemble the temp frame without removing the top.

    Good luck with your bench, a WIP is a good way to help you think things through.
    Thank you, now to my research

  7. #1191
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Age
    45
    Posts
    293

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JT View Post
    Thank you, now to my research
    JT

    I think Greg and others would agree that even the most complex bench is still pretty simple once you know how!

    I have read every workbench book at least a thousand times and now that I am well into bench build I have come to the realisation that these things are very primitive tools and the more you keep it simple the better off you are.

    Not sure about you but as a novice I have been intimidated by building a monster bench and to some degree I still am as the size of the timbers laying in my garage is sore on the eyes!

    As IanW has said to me many times.....stop fretting...its a workbench!! If you listen to Chris Swharz over and over he says.....don't over think things its a workbench.

    Launch in and get building!

    Milo

  8. #1192
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Sydney, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    66

    Default

    Thanks for the words of wisdom guys!

    In the meantime I've got an old kauri bench which I'm going to resurface in the meantime. Got a few projects around the house which will keep me busy in the immediate future.

  9. #1193
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Millmerran,QLD
    Age
    66
    Posts
    5,581

    Default

    Groggy

    Thank you for tabling ( oops ) the journey and congratulations on such a superb job. I was just checking out a few details and pondering about my own bench which is still locked in the fleshy tablets of the mind and I refererred to the very first post.

    Now I have not read every post in this thread , but I will , so I don't know if you have already mentioned that you have edited the very first post to include a menu. If you have please accept my apologies for the duplication, but if you have not forum members may be interested to know that you have incorporated a very detailed index of every aspect of this epic build.

    My hat off to you .

    Regards
    Paul
    Bushmiller;

    "Power tends to corrupt. Absolute power corrupts, absolutely!"

  10. #1194
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Melbourne
    Age
    58
    Posts
    12,858

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bushmiller View Post
    Groggy

    Thank you for tabling ( oops ) the journey and congratulations on such a superb job. I was just checking out a few details and pondering about my own bench which is still locked in the fleshy tablets of the mind and I refererred to the very first post.

    Now I have not read every post in this thread , but I will , so I don't know if you have already mentioned that you have edited the very first post to include a menu. If you have please accept my apologies for the duplication, but if you have not forum members may be interested to know that you have incorporated a very detailed index of every aspect of this epic build.

    My hat off to you .

    Regards
    Paul
    Thanks Paul. The index probably helps me more than anyone else. I was asked a lot of questions via PM because people did not read the entire thread, so I went looking for a link. Since putting the index in to make my searches quicker the PMs have slowed to a trickle. Hope it helps!

Similar Threads

  1. workbench
    By Rhys Cooper in forum THE WORK BENCH
    Replies: 125
    Last Post: 4th Aug 2009, 09:42 PM
  2. Workbench on WC
    By dhurrang in forum THE WORK BENCH
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 13th Feb 2006, 10:42 AM
  3. Catch-22 - building a workbench without a workbench
    By brianhay in forum THE WORK BENCH
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 18th Jan 2005, 04:56 PM
  4. New Workbench ala FWW
    By bigAl in forum THE WORK BENCH
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 20th Apr 2004, 09:41 PM
  5. workbench
    By spargs in forum THE WORK BENCH
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 15th Apr 2004, 07:18 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •