Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Thread: Bandsaw Refit

Default Bandsaw Refit

It's been a while since my last post. Anyway back in the groove now. I bought my first bandsaw in January this year it's an MJ343B.

To be honest it was not a good buy, after I got it home and assembled I then realised that the thing was very badly made, specially the blade guides. The top ones were only held onto the housing by two very small self tapping screws.

To cut a long story short I posted a thread on the forum that was never answered, I asked if there were any guide upgrades for the MJ343B. It has been bugging me for many many months how crappy it was put together.

Anyway a couple of weeks ago I was in Perth and I called into Timbecon. The bloke was extremely helpful and I came away with some new guides and a new piece of extruded aluminum "similar" to the one I had but was made for the new guides. The bloke at Timbecon did say to me that although their machine looks the same as mine, the extrusion probably would not fit. I got it anyway (only $20).

Well the extrusion did not fit, but the guides looked so much better than the Micky Mouse ones on my machine that I decided it was time to get busy and refit the whole guide system. I got some aluminum and some nuts and bolts and went to work.

The result as you can see in the photos was better than I could have imagined. I added a small brace on the frame that has made the whole thing steady as a rock, before I could twist the blade guide assembly nearly 4-5mm.

I only finished this today, I am going put the top on and give it a go tomorrow, I'll let everyone know the result.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

I also got rid of the base and made my own. Here are the pics, cost about $35 mostly for the wheels.

Well here are the results of my refit, must say I'm amazed even if I say so myself. When I first got the saw I thought I was going to be able to make veneers like David Marks , when I started to use it it was rubbish and could not cut anything straight, the blade wandered all over the place.

Look at it now, 3mm and even 1.5mm slices to within 0.15mm tolerance, both in softwood and tas oak. The refit also took the height capacity from 150mm to 175mm.

By the way the small cleat from the front panel to the side makes a lot of difference, it makes the whole top guide assembly really solid.

You have nailed that problem down,
    les

great idea mate!"as they say the tradesman is only as good as his tools" now your bandsaw is improved you should be able to make some fine furniture!

Default I know it's an old thread

Anyone recognise the brand/model of guides that Stubchain used?

I have the same bandsaw with the same problem, except I broke my upper guide.

He got them from Timbecon, Carbatec have them too

Good work Stubchain !

We all have the choice of buying a fancy pants bandsaw for big $$$, or buy a cheaper one and put the time and effort into tuning it up. In many ways the latter is far more satisfying, and you've ended up with a great bandsaw by the look of things.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry72 View Post
    He got them from Timbecon, Carbatec have them too
    Stubchain doesn't remember the brand/model (as it was a while ago) and Timbecon and Carbatec only has one guide set on their website which look nothing like these ones.

Been bitten once by Timbecon so they aren't on my list of preferred suppliers.

May be hare and forbes have them ??

Leigh from Gregory Machinery is helping me out with guides, so all is good.

He has answered my questions and sent me sample photos of what he has in stock, from there I can figure out the best ones for my predicament.

Thumbs up for Gregmach.com.au

Update: The new lower guide is a tad too big to fit between the saw base and underneath the table, may need to raise the table by about 15 mm.