Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Festo Rotex vs WTS150

Hey all,

Both are eccentric sanders, from what I can tell.
    Any advice on what the difference is, as my Festo catalogue is lost somewhere in a box, and I don't want to sort through 6 or 7 boxes... already pulled apart the most likely 3.

As well, I intend to get the Domino... What the most suitable Festo Vac considering I want to buy once and intend to get more Festo stuff in the future (e.g. router and circular saw)
    Cheers,
    Clinton

"Use your third eye" - Watson

http://www.flickr.com/photos/clinton_findlay/

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

I got the CT26 with my domino as a package. There was a little table in the promotion catalogue at the time that said which tools could run off each vac. The CT26 was the smallest one that could do them all if memory serves me correctly. (I may be corrected here) I have found that I needed to get the larger 36mm hose to get the proper dust collection from my Kapex. Happy buying.

I got the CT33 & very happy - I went for a bigger volume as there is less time between emptying bags. I am considering the new Festool Dust Deputy - see here - Carbatec will be stocking it.

Just pulled out my Festool cattledog - WTS150 is designed for pre-sanding large areas - it has a 7mm stroke!! Rapid removal of material. Not the best for fine work.But if you need to hog off lots of filler etc, go for it.

Rotex supposedly does it all Course sanding, fine sanding & works as a polisher. The 125 has a 3.6mm stroke & the 150 has a 5mm stroke.

As with most tools, it really depends what you want it for. If for furniture & general work I would go for the smaller Rotex as it is quite versatile & not too agressive. If you are unsure, call Festool & get the rep to come out & demo each unit to you - they are good like that.

Stu from Stu's Shed has just gone through the same dilema have a read of his comparison between these machines and see his reasoning for what he finished up with Stu's Shed
    Jim Carroll
    One Good Turn Deserves Another. CWS, Vicmarc, Robert Sorby, Woodcut, Tormek, Woodfast
    Are you a registered member? Why not? click here to register. It's free and only takes 37 seconds!

Clint, not sure if you have taken the plunge yet, but the CT26 is the ducks nuts. I have had mine for a few months now and it hasnt put a foot wrong. If you do get one, spend the extra and get the long life bag. Its brilliant, and when time to empty comes along its a simple 2 minute job thats 99% dust free.

And with the sanders, its only my opinion, but i reckon the Rotex is so overated. Its an uncomfortable sander in use and unless your in a profession that needs the aggression and power give it a miss. Out of the other two, the 150/5 and 150/3, I would go straight to the 150/3 any day. Its the best ROS ever made bar none. Put a 38# disk on the 150/3 and it will remove anything from anything, move to a 180# and above and it will give the finest sand you can imagin. The 150/5 is a great work horse, but will not give the fine quality sand like the 150/3 so give it a miss.

The Domino speaks for its self. If you want to get one from the forum sponser you will get a free Domino course. So next time you come down to Gods own part of the world you can come to Willie and do it.

Thanks all.... I going to think on this one a bit.

I did ring Ideal Tools and have a chat about the economics of the vacs/bags and what not. Informative... but more stuff to think on.

Lignum, thanks for your input... I reckon dropping in for a one on one session and yarn about the tools is the ideal way to sell/buy them. Excuse the pun. Wouldn't mind seeing what you get up to as well.
    Cheers,
    Clinton

"Use your third eye" - Watson

http://www.flickr.com/photos/clinton_findlay/

FenceFurniture is offline The prize lies beneath - hidden in full view

Default Calling Lignum please....

Quote Originally Posted by Lignum View Post
    Out of the other two, the 150/5 and 150/3, I would go straight to the 150/3 any day. Its the best ROS ever made bar none.
    Hi Lignum, firstly, dare I ask what a Ligtool might be? Mmmm, perhaps not.

Referring to the sanders, I tried to find a WTS 150 on the Festool site and it only shows a WTS 150/7 and that's far to big a stroke for me (although it may be a good stroke for a Ligtool ).

Are the ETS range perhaps superseding them I wonder? I was thinking of a Rotex 150 but you've put me off, and what you say about the WTS 150/3 does indeed appear to be the duck's nuts. I'm looking for a superfine finish on smaller wood projects, perhaps larger ones later.

Any advice is mucho appreciated.

Regards, Brett

Hi Guys

There is a new sander available that might very well eclipse the Festool offerings !!

This is the Mirka Ceros - see here Basically, it is an electrically powered ROS that looks & feels like an air powered device. Minimal vibration, low centre of gravity, easy single handed use, variable speed that can be trigger controlled on the fly, dust collection, standard abrasives & standard backup pads (= lower operating costs), universal 90–240 VAC switching power supply. About 1/2 size of other ROS, but claims much more power.

Most importantly - comes in a cool YELLOW Systainer

Popular Woodworking have done some preliminary reviews - see here & here and a video here

There is an extensive thread on TalkFestool here

Also YouTube video:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJ2gYXOje2Q&feature=player_embedded"]Ceros ROS[/ame]

Price us $US$495. You would probably add another $US70 for shipping & insurance. (You can buy from the UK at about $AU450, assuming you can get it VAT exempt)

(Mirka is a global company based out of Finland - supplies industrial & automotive trades mainly, I think)

FenceFurniture is offline The prize lies beneath - hidden in full view

Hi Ross, well, well, that does look good. The smartest thing about their marketing is the inclusion of a universal transformer. I'll have a good read of the threads. Thanks for that.

Regards, Brett

Hi Brett -

I think the transformer is due to its Eurpean origins. Need 240VAC for the EU (well - 220 really) and can't ignore North America. Anyway, its good for us, and more so with the strong dollar at present.

wow! that mirko sander looks pretty cool!
    and you get a yellow systainer!

i would love to hear from anyone that has used the mirko sanders.
    i reckon they will definitely give festool a run for their money...

but i still love festool ets 150/5 random orbital sander.

i see vek tools is selling the festool ets 150 sanders without a systainer for $400.
    thats a bloody good price!

justin.

Very interesting sander ,any body found a good place to buy one ? thanks bob