16th Jun 2016, 02:18 PM #1Intermediate Member
- Join Date
- Sep 2014
- adelaide south morphett vale
Hi all well I have just had a look at some of the fantastic pieces that have been shown on here,i must say some of you blokes are amazing in what you can produce of a humble bandsaw.Ok so now where can you find out more about these little treasures ,I have turned bowls and pens and all other sorts of things worked in commercial joineries and on construction sites as a carpenter but never thought you could make something like this from a bandsaw never even seen anything like this before .Being as I have just refurbished my workshop from a scrapheap to a functioning place of hidden treasures id like to get involved in this activity .
16th Jun 2016 02:18 PM # ADSGoogle Adsense Advertisement
- Join Date
- Advertising world
16th Jun 2016, 10:12 PM #2
If you do a Google search on Bandsawn Boxes you will find lots of designs, photos, videos and written step by step guides.
The main parts of the process are:
- Glue up a blank (you need something fairly chunky to start with).
- Square it up so it will be easily handled on the bandsaw
- Draw or print a design on paper then glue it to the blank
- Cut the outside shape
- Cut off the back
- Cut the inside shape to get the piece for the drawer. Make the entry cut in an area that goes with the grain (not across it) so it will be hard to see when closed up later
- Apply glue and clamp so the entry cut is closed
- Cut off the front and back of the drawer
- Mark and cut out the inside of the drawer
- Sand interior surfaces
- Glue front and back onto drawer
- Glue back piece onto outer box
- Make and glue on a drawer handle
- Apply a finish
I didn't realize there were so many steps until I started to write that so I've probably missed something.
There may be some variations to the order but generally the order shown will work best.
Your 6mm blade should be OK as long as there are no really tight curves - start with something simple and work up.
Good luck with it and don't forget to post photos here .Cheers, Bob the labrat
Measure once and.... the phone rings!
21st Jun 2016, 09:02 AM #3Skwair2rownd
- Join Date
- Nov 2007
- Dundowran Beach
Great post Ratty!!
Should be compulsory reading for all of us!!
By issatree in forum NOTHING AT ALL TO DO WITH WOODWORKReplies: 0Last Post: 14th Nov 2015, 01:13 AM
By hughie in forum WOODTURNING - ORNAMENTAL TURNINGReplies: 2Last Post: 27th Jul 2011, 11:44 AM
By ravlord13 in forum WOODWORK - GENERALReplies: 0Last Post: 1st Jun 2008, 03:55 PM
By Peter R in forum NOTHING AT ALL TO DO WITH WOODWORKReplies: 3Last Post: 30th Oct 2004, 06:24 PM