Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Kotara
    Age
    67
    Posts
    199
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Beth Ireland DVD

    In the October 2006 copy of the Woodturning Magazine (UK) there is a report on a DVD entitled Turning Outside the Box by Beth Ireland - whom I think is from USA.

    The report goes "This is a nice recording that introduces the bandsaw as a complimentary tool to the lathe. Beth takes us through the steps required to make a bandsaw box, then mounting it on the lathe to create unique turned boxes.....a clip is available for viewing on Beth's website ...where the DVD can also be purchased".

    I have purposely not included the website reference as I don't wish to promote the DVD as such - but if you are interested Google will probably find it).

    However when I looked at the clip it only contained lathe work and did not have any reference to bandsaws or bandsaw boxes.

    Can anybody (hello American forumites ) tell me whether the bandsaw boxes in the DVD are the type usually depicted in this thread (made by Tony Ward or PTC) or are they the more conventional box made by using a bandsaw (such as those by Donna ?:confused: ).
    John H
    Why do I never seem to cut "too long"?

  2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Advertising world
    Age
    2010
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    forest. tasmainia
    Age
    81
    Posts
    1,610
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Hope we get some info.
    p.t.c

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Perth, WA
    Posts
    1,246
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    The clip shows a finial being turned on the lid of a bandsawn box that is created on the DVD. The box is about 600mm long with one long compartment. I can not think of any practical use for the box, purely decorative.
    The top is cut from the blank. Front and back slices are cut off. A U shape piece is cut from the centre . The box is then glued back up and various turning techniques applied to the box.
    Check out the Gallery, Artwork section of the web site for examples of the boxes.
    Page 2, the right hand box shown in the lower left thumbnail is similar to the box created on the DVD.

    http://www.bethireland.net/

    Growing old is much better than the alternative!

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Kotara
    Age
    67
    Posts
    199
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Thanks Sprog.

    I gather the box stands vertically and the "draw" is effectively a long sleeve with an open front? To cut a U on a 600mm blank there must be some depth of cut on the bandsaw. Any clues on that - brand/model etc.

    The finial on the one you mentioned presents as offset turning. Is that the case?

    Approximately what width are the front and back and the "square" dimensions of the blank to start with.

    When you say "turning techniques to the box" I gather this is after the box is glued back together and with the draw fitted. Interesting that the blank on the lathe would then be a hollow without much room for error if the front and back are only thin.

    The middle and lower left thumbnails on page 3 of the Artwork section are squater and more along the lines of the type of bandsaw boxes that are posted on this thread. Any comments on that?

    Thanks again for the headsup.
    John H
    Why do I never seem to cut "too long"?

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Perth, WA
    Posts
    1,246
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by baxter View Post
    I gather the box stands vertically and the "draw" is effectively a long sleeve with an open front? To cut a U on a 600mm blank there must be some depth of cut on the bandsaw. Any clues on that - brand/model etc.
    There is no draw, the piece you see in the clip is the lid being turned. The box is a long hollow form with a lid, possibly closer to a lidded vase than a box. The "U" shape is cut from the centre piece laid down on its long side.

    The box stands with the long side upright and the lid at the top.

    The bandsaw is a Delta 14"

    The finial on the one you mentioned presents as offset turning. Is that the case?.
    Yes, correct. Also some are carved after turning.



    Approximately what width are the front and back and the "square" dimensions of the blank to start with.
    Probably around about 600x80mmx80mm


    When you say "turning techniques to the box" I gather this is after the box is glued back together and with the draw fitted. Interesting that the blank on the lathe would then be a hollow without much room for error if the front and back are only thin.
    Yes, all glued back together. The walls are about 19mm thick, so plenty of spare material to play with.

    The middle and lower left thumbnails on page 3 of the Artwork section are squatter and more along the lines of the type of bandsaw boxes that are posted on this thread. Any comments on that?
    They look like shorter versions of a similar design to the long lidded box. The emphasis is on the "decoration" rather than a box for practical uses.

    Growing old is much better than the alternative!

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Kotara
    Age
    67
    Posts
    199
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sprog View Post
    There is no draw, the piece you see in the clip is the lid being turned. The box is a long hollow form with a lid, possibly closer to a lidded vase than a box. The "U" shape is cut from the centre piece laid down on its long side.

    The box stands with the long side upright and the lid at the top.
    Thanks for that Sprog.

    Can you give some detail about the size of the blank that she uses the bandsaw to cut the U shape. I am trying to visualise the blank being vertical at the time the U shape is being cut on the bandsaw - but the dimensions appear to exceed the normal depth of cut on a Delta 14" bandsaw (i.e. around 150mm).

    When you mentioned that the finished piece is more like a lidded vase, I wonder why she didn't hollow the centre out on the lathe and not use the bandsaw.

    Is it accurate to call the piece a "bandsawn box" when comparing it to the type of bandsawn boxes that are shown on this thread?
    John H
    Why do I never seem to cut "too long"?

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Perth, WA
    Posts
    1,246
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by baxter View Post

    Can you give some detail about the size of the blank that she uses the bandsaw to cut the U shape. I am trying to visualise the blank being vertical at the time the U shape is being cut on the bandsaw - but the dimensions appear to exceed the normal depth of cut on a Delta 14" bandsaw (i.e. around 150mm).

    Is it accurate to call the piece a "bandsawn box" when comparing it to the type of bandsawn boxes that are shown on this thread?
    The blank is cut horizontally with the long side on the table after the two long sides have been cut off.

    It is mostly created on the bandsaw. I suppose if you can put something in it then it is a box. Does a box have to have a draw or a lid?
    Attached Images Attached Images

    Growing old is much better than the alternative!

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Kotara
    Age
    67
    Posts
    199
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sprog View Post
    The blank is cut horizontally with the long side on the table after the two long sides have been cut off.

    It is mostly created on the bandsaw. I suppose if you can put something in it then it is a box. Does a box have to have a draw or a lid?
    Sprog, thanks for the explanation.

    I had been trying to visualise a difficult or purposeful use of the bandsaw to create a bandsawn box. But, as a woodturner, I can't see why she just didn't hollow out the centre on the lathe with a gouge - using a jacobs chuck would probably be easier.

    You say that it is mostly created on the bandsaw. But it appears that most of the work is on the lathe. Did you mean on the lathe and not on the bandsaw?:confused:

    The question you raise as to whether a box has to have a draw or a lid is one that I have previously raised in conversation with others - not on the forum.
    What makes a box a BANDSAWN BOX.:confused: :confused: Since this is probably a complex question, I have started a new thread asking that specific question.
    John H
    Why do I never seem to cut "too long"?

  10. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Perth, WA
    Posts
    1,246
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by baxter View Post
    You say that it is mostly created on the bandsaw. But it appears that most of the work is on the lathe. Did you mean on the lathe and not on the bandsaw?:confused:
    The work performed on the lathe and also the carving done on some of the boxes is embellishment and not does not form part of the box construction. Without the embelishment the box is still the same object, a box made on the bandsaw.

    Growing old is much better than the alternative!

  11. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Kotara
    Age
    67
    Posts
    199
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sprog View Post
    The work performed on the lathe and also the carving done on some of the boxes is embellishment and not does not form part of the box construction. Without the embelishment the box is still the same object, a box made on the bandsaw.
    HI Sprog.

    In the quote above you refer to boxes in the plural. Are the other boxes (beside the one you have referred to in this thread) also demonstrated on the DVD or are you referring to the boxes that are displayed in the Website Gallery?

    If they are on the DVD, is the bandsaw used differently to the method you have previously detailed?
    John H
    Why do I never seem to cut "too long"?

  12. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Perth, WA
    Posts
    1,246
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    The DVD shows just the one type box being created. Several different turning applications are applied to similar boxes.
    Both the DVD and websites show an assortment of boxes with different embellishments applied.
    This DVD is not intended to be the definitive work on bandsawn boxes more to stimulate your imagination and creativity to produce something "extra".

    Growing old is much better than the alternative!

  13. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Kotara
    Age
    67
    Posts
    199
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sprog View Post
    This DVD is not intended to be the definitive work on bandsawn boxes more to stimulate your imagination and creativity to produce something "extra".
    Thanks Sprog

    I initially raised the question because of the report in the UK Woodturning Magazine which seemed to give emphasis to the bandsaw aspects more than the lathe aspects.

    You have answered my query and we can probably leave it at that unless anybody else can contribute.
    John H
    Why do I never seem to cut "too long"?

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •