Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How to Id QC toolpost dovetails

Evening all,
    My Metalmaster 12 x 36 lathe came with a quick change tool post.

I wish to upset Gerry Harvey and purchase more dovetails for it overseas as the local yokel wants $80+each for ones I know will fit.

I have read about AXA and others but I am not real sure how to nominate size to order the correct size dove tails.
    The dove tail is stamped 250 -202 .Does the 250 nominate the dovetail fit?

Does this id the dovetail for sizing,
    pic attached
    Thanks
    Grahame

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Hi Gra.

Are you saying that Harvey Norman, sell lathe tooling? What next?

Ken

The 250 202 should represent a holder with a small vee in the base where the tool would sit,the other style would be numbered 250 201 this has a flat base.
    These are BXA holders.
    If interested I have a few extras that I have no use for at the moment most are 201's $25 plus post.

Dave J Guest

You can find out what size it is from here.
    http://www.aloris.com/catalog/aloris_p2-3.pdf

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by neksmerj View Post
    Hi Gra.

Are you saying that Harvey Norman, sell lathe tooling? What next?

Ken
    No but some that work there are tools. Some have a fleeting association with the truth. I will go without than buy anything from them.

Grahame

Thanks Dave J but thats not quite the sort that I have. It has a piston to lock up rather than a wedge.

Mine is just a cheapie chinee knock off that was thrown in with the lathe I purchased in 2007. I will take a piccy tomorrow.

Grahame

As mentioned above, I believe these are 200 series, which would make sense for the size lathe you mentioned.

If you want some I can suggest this company in the US CDCO Machinery Corp. the BXA series holders are $9 each.

I use AXA and another 10 arrived from them last week. They send quite a lot to Australia, email Frank and ask him how many will fit in a USPS pre-paid box. The box can take up to 20 lbs and costs $45, a bargain in US freight terms! Even with my 10 AXA holders I had room in the box for a stack of other things before I got to the 20 lbs limit.

Pete

I bought an AXA toolpost from tools4cheap, and extra holders from CDCO - and there's a problem. The dovetails on the toolpost have sharpish edges, but the extra holders are meant to fit a dovetail with more radiused edges - so they don't fit as supplied, even though they are both AXA compatible supposedly. A solution would be to blunten the dovetails. Another would be to buy all the parts from the same source!

Jordan

Quote Originally Posted by nadroj View Post
    I bought an AXA toolpost from tools4cheap, and extra holders from CDCO - and there's a problem. The dovetails on the toolpost have sharpish edges, but the extra holders are meant to fit a dovetail with more radiused edges - so they don't fit as supplied, even though they are both AXA compatible supposedly. A solution would be to blunten the dovetails. Another would be to buy all the parts from the same source!

Jordan
    Hmmm, that's odd as I did precisely the same thing and the last CDCO ones fitted fine. I haven't had a chance to check the latest ones from CDCO but will check them tomorrow and report back if they don't fit.

Edit: Curiosity got the better of me and I just went down and checked immediately. I just grabbed two from the 10 at random and they slid on perfectly, so maybe you got a bad batch? This is the second lot of holders from CDCO I've purchased.

Dave J Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Grahame Collins View Post
    Thanks Dave J but thats not quite the sort that I have. It has a piston to lock up rather than a wedge.

Mine is just a cheapie chinee knock off that was thrown in with the lathe I purchased in 2007. I will take a piccy tomorrow.

Grahame
    It doesn't matter what style or brand tool post they are, as all AXA, BXA, CXA, etc are a standard sizing. So your piston style BXA holder will fit a Dorian triple lock BXA tool post etc.

Dave

HI Grahame ,
    If the You Compare these two Web Pages 10- 15" WEDGE QUICK CHANGE TOOL POST FOR ALORIS 222 BXA (eBay item 330525619157 end time 03-Mar-11 03:14:52 AEDST) : Business Industrial
    and this one 10- 15" PISTON QUICK CHANGE TOOL POST FR ALORIS 200 BXA (eBay item 350430544073 end time 11-Feb-11 08:52:05 AEDST) : Business Industrial You will find that a Piston Toolpost and a Wedge Toolpost take the same Toolholders.
    Here they are Selling some Tool Holders for them BORING TURNING FACING TOOL HOLDER 202 BXA #2 FOR ALORIS (eBay item 300517030249 end time 19-Feb-11 07:29:01 AEDST) : Business Industrial . This Ebay Seller is actually Shars shars.com . I bought My QC Toolpost off them (1st Webpage) and later on Bought some more Toolholders off them. Although made in China, I have had no problem and the Toolholders all fit No Problemo.

Pipeclay is right about his description for the 250-202 Toolholder, its purpose is a Boring Bar / Turning Tool Holder. I believe DAVE J is correct also in his last Post. I hope we have all been of some Help to You.
    Last edited by steran50; 5th February 2011 at 08:45 AM. Reason: too crammed
    All The Best steran50 Stewart

The shortest way to do many things is to do only one thing at once.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete F View Post
    Hmmm, that's odd as I did precisely the same thing and the last CDCO ones fitted fine. I haven't had a chance to check the latest ones from CDCO but will check them tomorrow and report back if they don't fit.

Edit: Curiosity got the better of me and I just went down and checked immediately. I just grabbed two from the 10 at random and they slid on perfectly, so maybe you got a bad batch? This is the second lot of holders from CDCO I've purchased.
    Sorry, I meant to say BXA (aka 200 series), not AXA.

The toolholders are marked the same. Note the detail showing a bigger radius in the dovetail V, on the CDCO one. It prevents it from fitting the tools4cheap toolpost.
    It's no big deal, as simply grinding the toolpost dovetail V's slightly would allow both toolholders to fit. It's a common enough story with "pattern parts".

Jordan

Hi All,
    I realize this is slightly off the topic that started this thread, but has anyone found a low cost version of the Dickinson style that comes with the H&F QA-150 tool post. https://www.machineryhouse.com.au/Pr...tockCode=L295A

Paying $70 bucks each for extra tool holders gets a bit annoying, when I see other (lucky sods) buying additional BXA toolpost holders for $9 each.... hrrrrmmpphh...

Regards
    Ray

Dave J Guest

I am in the same boat Ray with my H&F's Dickson style tool post. I have thought about selling it and buying a dovetail style, but I have a fair bit of money in this one with 7 holders.
    I think the only thing we can do is to make them up. This guy below shows how they are made and they are a lot easier to make than the dove tail ones, with only needing a T slot cutter or a key way cutter to cut the slot either side
    Dave WorkShop

Dave

Hi Dave,

I like the holders, it's just a cost issue. I have a friend with a pretty good engineering shop, lots of cnc machines, maybe I can talk him into doing a production run of say 50 or so. ( I'll split it with you if the cost looks reasonable)

That's if you're interested of course?

I wonder is anyone else might want a few?

Anticipating what he will ask, do we need hardened and ground?

Regards
    Ray

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast