Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Mitutoyo Height Gauge - Magnifier

This rolled up in the mail after what seemed too long a wait given the 100 dollars I paid for postage. I had thought that Mitutoyo's gear was a bit lightweight in comparison with the products of their American and European counterparts. I can now see why the postage was stiff. This is heavy. And beautifully made. It is a "Quick Setting" model 520-155 gauge.

It was originally fitted with a rectangular magnifier that attached to the narrow stainless steel angle to the left (or front) of the vernier, as per the 1973 catalogue.

Does anyone have a similar gauge with the magnifier attached and if so, any chance of a snap shot or two?

The little 6 inch gauge has been used for all my marking out but with the acquisition of my metric mill, a metric gauge will prove handy. I have a beautiful 10 inch Brown and Sharpe vernier height gauge along with the recently purchased Starrett 450mm gauge that I wouldn't mind selling. I will stick an ad in the forum market place.

BT

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Ha. Same gauge, same missing magnifier. In my case a Graysonline. It has some minor issues, but it was unusually cheap for a local auction. It is a heavy beast of a thing to be sure. Mine might be not quite the same model as it is Imp/Metric.

GQ

BTW...my first DRO arrived today. I am pretty impressed with it, although the mounting arm is pretty agricultural.

BTW...my first DRO arrived today. I am pretty impressed with it, although the mounting arm is pretty agricultural.

Be a nice contrast on the delicate Deckel. I'm used to reading my verniers with a loupe. Maybe I'll just stick to that. Did you end up buying your own loupe?

BT

No, I got called in to work for a couple of days, just getting some shed time today. I an trying to get some lights up right now, just taking a break. We had arborists in today, so I was busy not helping them, but it took some time to observe from afar with a coffee.

GQ

I was busy not helping them, but it took some time to observe from afar with a coffee.

Effing hopeless.!!

More shiny tools for BT I picked up two more 3hp 3phase motors today, does that make us even?. I think not
    What do you want to know about the magnifier? just how it was attached. I can't get you pictures of one but I do know how what they look like as I used to use one.
    Stuart

I was chasing photos Stuart, to determine if it is possible to make something similar. In a previous discussion with Gregory, I said I have a clip on loupe fixed to my shed glasses. I have to use it to read my micrometers and verniers so one more vernier won't hurt. I guess I have plenty of other things to fool around with. I don't really need to add lens grinding to the list....but you never know, it might come in handy.

BT

There isnt much to the mount, just a piece of sheetmetal folded around the pin the lens pivots on and then folded in to two "L"s one fitting inside the other that slip over the bracket you have.
    I can draw it if I'm not making sense and someone can't get a picture for you.

Stuart

I have a 2 foot tall version of that height gauge with the magnifier on it. I will take pictures of it tomorrow or Saturday and post them for you Bob. I got mine from work. It was going to be tossed because it never gets used so I scooped it up. I'm watching to see if the two 18 inch ones will be getting the boot too!

I also snagged a digital version, also a 2 footer, at the same time that someone probably dropped. Misaligning of the two vertical beams was the result. When I need it I will loosen the setscrews at the top and let it straighten itself out. Got to love rookie calibrators that haven't a clue how to fix things.

It is almost 3:00 AM, so goodnight.
    Pete

Default Sorry for taking so long.

Here are the pictures. If you need any others please ask.

Pete

Thank you Pete,

Is there any chance of a close up of the hinge section of the magnifier and maybe one showing how it is clipped to the angle bracket on the gauge? Sorry for being a pain in the neck.

Bob.

Hi Bob,
    This drawing might help
    The black line is the bracket you have, seen from above, the red line is the mount. It doesnt clip on, it slides onto the bracket from the top.
    Pete's pictures mostly show the bottom of the mount so remember to flip it over in your head. The second picture shows it best(although maybe thats just me as I know what I'm looking at)

Stuart

Got It Stuart

Obviously mine slid off and disappeared. Alan"C-47" rang and offered me the magnifier from a long gone Chinese height gauge he once owned. I can remember seeing one of the the Chinese gauges at H and F years ago and thinking they were pretty big bits of gear. About the size of my Mitutoyo. It will be interesting to see if it fits.

BT

Bob, Stuart is basically correct with his drawing but it needs a round part that wraps around the pin on the glass frame so it can swing out of the way. I will shoot a few more at higher resolution and closer if I can in the morning so you can see better. Friction is supposed to keep the magnifier in place as you slide it up and down along the scale. The lens looks to be about a 2x or so and is made of glass.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Anorak Bob View Post
    Thank you Pete,

Is there any chance of a close up of the hinge section of the magnifier and maybe one showing how it is clipped to the angle bracket on the gauge? Sorry for being a pain in the neck.

Bob.

Here you go Bob.
    Neck? No. Think lower.

Some more in the next post.
    Pete

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast