Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Dave J Guest

Default New to me 24 inch Alba shaper

Hi fellas,
    I thought you all might like to have a look at a few pictures.
    I already have a Douglas 101/2 inch shaper (pictures from it's ad below) that I bought last year, but have been looking out for a bigger one. I nearly bought one for $1000 in good nick last week, but this week I came across this Abla 24 inch shaper made in England. Has any one got any info on it? I searched for a couple of nights but can only find info on the smaller ones. I found out hey changed over to Elliot somewhere along the way.
    I went and checked it out and only paid $300 for it. I have to pick it up this weekend so I only have one picture so far. It came with a heap of boring bars, tools, etc but sadly no vise, I am after one if anybody knows of one, the bigger the better.

While I was there he had a small to medium horizontal mill with cutters that I couldn't knock back for $200, so I bought that as well. No pictures of it yet either.
    It looks worse than it is, It's only been out of the shed for a few days so it could be sold. The slides are fine and the gears are greased, only the paint is peeling, a bit of TLC and I will have it looking like new.
    The Douglas looks like a baby compared to this one
    Now to make some room in the shed
    Dave

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

I have never heard of a 24"Alba either... I saw a 24" Invicta at an auction years ago...It was really huge,much bigger then the Alba...

Dave J Guest

Quote Originally Posted by .RC. View Post
    I have never heard of a 24"Alba either... I saw a 24" Invicta at an auction years ago...It was really huge,much bigger then the Alba...
    Me neither before this one.
    The motor is off it at the moment so that makes it look a little bigger. It sits at the rear on a massive cast plate.
    The only thing I found on it online was a fellow with a 18inch Alba saying he wanted a 24inch one. Maybe there rare?
    This one will suit my shed good with not being too big. I see some brands with the same stroke are huge will others like this one are smaller in mass. I have looked at some over the years and they have been 3 to 4 ton, way to big for my son and I to move on our own.
    It's just a thought at the moment but I am thinking about putting a separately powered horizontal spindle were the clapper bolts on and use it as a surface grinder until I can get one. Whats your thoughts? I cant see why it wouldn't work, the wheel dresser could be set up on the table, and I would the be able to grind angles by swiveling the head. One thing is for sure it would be ridged enough.
    Dave

You can do that,in fact I have an old article from Model engineer magazine where that was done.... However I think the grinding grit would quickly destroy the sliding surfaces unless you have a vacuum cleaner set up to collect the grit and ground metal as the wheel cuts..

I have found on my TC grinder most grit is created when you dress the wheel..

Edit: Found the article

Dave J Guest

Good to hear, at least it's been done before. I wasn't sure whether I was thinking too far outside the circle.
    I was thinking of building a complete enclosure for it and running coolant, so that would keep the dust mostly contained and from flying around the shop.
    Any chance of a scan of that article?
    Dave
    Edit
    Thanks

Dave J Guest

RC,
    I found another Alba here on the forum, but only a small model.
    https://www.woodworkforums.com/f65/al...-shaper-76279/
    Dave

Hi Dave,

Just curious, I have no real experience of shapers, what does the 24" actually mean, is that the amount of travel on the ram, the table size or what?

Regards
    Ray

Dave J Guest

Hi Ray,
    Yes 24 inch is the ram travel. so you can machine something flat 23 inches long or double that if you turn it around and set it up again. the smaller one is 11 inch but they call it a 101/2 because thats what it will cut.
    They will do most everything a mill will do, and will do some operations a mill can't like cutting internal key ways. The best part is the tooling is only HSS lathe tooling so it's allot cheaper than a mill. There only downfall is there slow, but can be left semi unattended as they have a table feed left to right even on the small one's.This big one will cut around 5-6mm deep steel per pass on a facing cut if needed.
    Your in the lucky state down there for them, every bit of machinery I want. is always down your way.
    One just went through on ebay for $650 down that way.
    Dave

Hi Dave,

That 24" shaper must be some machine! I have spent the better part of the past few weeks shuffling stuff around the workshop to make room for the mill, I doubt I could fit one in.

Looking forward to see how the rebuild/restoration goes. Sounds like a useful thing to have around the workshop.

Regards
    Ray

Dave J Guest

The smaller they are the dearer they get because of what you said,how much room they take up. I will have to do some rearranging myself. I just got the shed divided into a metal side and a wood side after not having a wood side for a few years. Looks like the wood side is going to be smaller for a while until I can get the shed extension built.
    You would not believe what I have squeezed in a 7mtr square shed, with still being able to work in there.
    I forgot to mention that a shaper can cut internal and external dovetails with a standard piece of ground HSS.
    Dave

And what's wrong with my "only a small model"

It's up and running and earning it's keep. Besides it's the only way to make internal keyways in this area (other than a file) since an old friend got sick and had to close his shop down.

Ken

Dave J Guest

Hi Ken,
    Nothing wrong with small shapers. My little Douglas is great, but as you know a small shaper will only do small jobs, a large one will do both.
    I am trying to find out some info on this one, dates etc. Have you found any info on the Alba company?
    Did you finish the rebuild on yours, any pictures?
    Dave

Well Ill admit I'm just plain jealous , I think you should box up that Douglas and send it to me ,after all what's a bloke need two shapers for ?

No chance of getting one up here either.

Kev.
    "Outside of a dog a book is man's best friend ,inside a dog it's too dark to read"
    Groucho Marx

Dave,

No pics. I have tried to upload some from my new camera previously, but I wasn't able to shrink them enough.

As I said it is in use. Totally remachining the 4" asian/indian vice was a good practice run. Cast iron finish is beautiful. Run some prehardened M200 tool steel (plastic injection mould steel)through. Did it easily but tool wear was heavy.
    Still in its original green paint (minus a few patches); bit it is a worker; not a show pony. I lost count of the hours spent scraping the new gear as it had a tight section where the gear teeth were binding. Probably the new bull gear shaft and bushes as well as the odd tooth wear pattern didn't help.

As far as I can recall, Alba took over the original company (forget the name) then were themselves taken over by Elliot. The latest build date for my one would have been about 1950. More likely to have been pre-war. The cost was somewhere around 14500 pounds. What would that be in todays exchange rate. I have an idea that the original company started off around the 1900 period.

I wonder how the current crop of Chinese machines will be faring in a 100 years time??

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Toggy View Post
    I have tried to upload some from my new camera previously, but I wasn't able to shrink them enough.
    The forum will now resize images automatically now, so you may want to have another try.
    Cheers

DJ

ADMIN

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast