Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default spring loaded oilers

Reading about Brendan's possible lubrication problems reminded me of the oilers on my lathe. Is there a special nozzle for getting oil past the spring loaded balls used on most lathes? I seem to get more oil outside than inside when I use them and its hard to be sure any oil went in at all.
    I've replace a couple of mine with oil cups with spring loaded lids, I think these would get in the way on places like the compound slide. Another thought was to tap the hole and put a grub screw in but that seems a little long winded and harder to clean before oiling.

Any ideas?

Stuart

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Does the tip of your oil can push the ball down or does the tip cover the ball and the pressure of the oil push the ball down.

Both. I have two oil cans. One is a squeeze bottle with a fine tip the can push the ball down. The other covers the ball. Neither seems to work very well, but they are both pretty cheap.
    Maybe I need to make my own.

The type that fits over in my opinion is better than the type that push the ball down.

Thr reason being that after you clean the top of the Ball and surrounds the one that fits over the ball should have enough pressure to detent the ball allowing for the oil to flow,with the type that you push the Ball down with you are not really sure how much force you are applying to the Ball and you may not get the oil to flow in correctly,also if you apply to much pressure to the Ball you run the chance of the Ball not returning correctly to its seat.

Dave J Guest

I just use a steel Chinese oil can that has a brass tip small enough to push the ball down. I get a little spillage but not that much to worry about.

Dave

Thanks guys
    I'll try reworking the end on the tip on the one I have to seal a little better.

Stuart

how do you get the little fockers out with out damage?

can this be done...be meaning to ask this question for some time...

I have one on the lathe and 1 one the mill which I suspect the gallery is blocked but rather than pull both apart it might be easier to start where the oil comes out..err doesnt want to go in...lol
    Last edited by eskimo; 6th January 2011 at 06:46 PM. Reason: grammar

I got a couple of mine out with a self tapping screw and a claw hammer
    One of them lived the other didnt, but one of them was already broken.
    Stuart

Dave J Guest

I got a few out from the outside but they broke, if you can get behind them with a snug fitting punch they will come out fine. The way I tried was to put a screw into the holes the pull but the brass just broke away and then I had to get the rest out which was fairly easy.
    They are not hard to make if you can save/find the ball and spring.

As for having crap in the oil galleries, I could almost guarantee it with your mill. This is the oilers out of the knee of my HM52 and the other pictures of the galleries. Their would be no way of getting this out without pulling it apart.

Dave

What I use which is real good is a "Pom-Pom" oil gun.
    Made by Alemite. They come with a tip for an oil nipple but is easy to machine an adapter to fit the spring load oilers.
    Blackwoods have them. Not sure of the price now but I think I paid about $30 for mine about 5 years ago.

Blackwoods cat number below

bollie7

Thanks bollie7
    I hadnt thought of one of those, I think I might have one around here somewhere. While poking around in the blackwoods cat I found an oil can like I used at a place I worked years ago 02321066. They work tipped forward, they work tipped back they work upside down. I'll give them a call tomorrow for a heart attack.

Stuart

Quote Originally Posted by Stustoys View Post
    Thanks bollie7
    I hadnt thought of one of those, I think I might have one around here somewhere. While poking around in the blackwoods cat I found an oil can like I used at a place I worked years ago 02321066. They work tipped forward, they work tipped back they work upside down. I'll give them a call tomorrow for a heart attack.

Stuart
    Will be interested to know what you find out Stuart, as my rotary table has some of those stupid oilers on it. Although, with the amount of use I'm likely to give it, the thing will probably outlast me without ever being oiled

Quote Originally Posted by Dave J View Post
    if you can get behind them with a snug fitting punch they will come out fine.

Dave
    I was hoping for an easy fix Dave.....Looks like I will be busy this weekend......

Hi
    Below is the POM POM type

Grahame

Hi

here is a link to the same thing a while back.
    https://www.woodworkforums.com/f65/oiling-lathe-78083/
    There is an Oz distributor for the spring loaded buttons.I had saved but can't find it sorry.
    Edit -found it
    http://www.majoreng.com.au/pdf/linco...n_Fittings.pdf see page 10

Further to the discussion, I find the current chinese version of the the pump oil can pretty hopeless as they self destruct in short order.

The same design but 10 years or so older seem to last longer but not forever.(see photo)

I like the old engineers type- bullet proof - but there rarely seen as I suppose few will part with them.

Frustrated because I had the chinese one self destruct, I lashed out and purchased a Reilag pressure oiler. It will work from an inverted position if necessary.
    I also have a Pressol oiler that I was given . It is excellent quality as well.
    Yes it was a few bucks but my grandkids will use it. I had to use a net photo as I can't put my hand on mine at the moment, time for a clean up I dare say!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast