I am currently looking at houses to purchase and many houses that interest me in Adelaide are built in 60's/70's and have a pretty boring and ugly frontage.
They usually have a protruding lounge room on the left, entrace, and then another room, and then a single garage.
Here is an example of the style I am talking about: 15 Pam Street, Netley, SA 5037 - House for Sale #110759663 - realestate.com.au

Often they have a large front yard, which generally is wasted space. The single garage leads to the back, where there is a double garage (which to me is a waste of valuable backyard space, and means you still have to shift cars around to get to the double shed.

My idea I have been floating is to add a double garage at the front of the property. Obviously council approval would be required, and there would need to be enough space for two cars on the driveway in front of the garage.
I was thinking have a company build a fairly basic steel carport, with a timber double roller door on the front. I could then blueboard and render the sides. If doing this, I would probably also render the frontage of the house as well, so it all matches and would give it a more modern look.

I was just wondering if anyone has done this before, and if you have before or after photos?
What kind of costs would I be looking at?
Would it be a $50k job?

I would just like to know so that when looking at prospective houses I can factor that in to whether a particular house could be suitable.

Thanks!

Read the full thread at RenovateForum.com...