Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question Rafter to beam connection at an angle - approx 100 degrees.

Hi guys,

Have a dilemma. May be building a deck and pergola for a friend and the opposite boundary of the pergola from the house isn't parallel to the house. I reckon it's around about the 10 degree mark off parallel to the house.
    Joist / rafter hangers are normally used when the pergola has opposing fascias or beams parallel to one another and their rafters run perpendicular to the fascia or beam.
    Is there a hanger that is adaptable to angles? I don't want to skew nail.
    For the deck it's not an issue. Joists will sit over the bearer and I'll string line and trim them at whatever angle I want.
    At the house the rafter will run off perpendicular to the house's fascia so standard hangers will be used. The rafter to the opposing fascing beam connection is the issue.

So, is there some method of connecting rafters to fascias or beams at an angle other than skew nailing?

Your help would be appreciated,
    A pondering Dr - 307.
    All decks should be stained....black white black white black white.......after all it would match anything!
    All roofs should be covered or tiled.....black colorbond, silver mist, black colorbond, silver mist, black colorbond.........after all, we wouldn't want a mismatch!

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Use multigrips. Like a trip-L-grip anchor but you can bend it a bit to the required angle. Check out pg 22 in the Pryda catalogue.

Mick
    "If you need a machine today and don't buy it,

tomorrow you will have paid for it and not have it."

- Henry Ford 1938

Thanks for your reply Mick.
    What about if my rafters are going to be 190 x 45? I took a look and what you suggested are on the small side. I could use two per side but isn't there a hanger of some sort?

Doc.
    All decks should be stained....black white black white black white.......after all it would match anything!
    All roofs should be covered or tiled.....black colorbond, silver mist, black colorbond, silver mist, black colorbond.........after all, we wouldn't want a mismatch!

Use a plain metal angle to support the load and either multigrips or cyclone tie to hold it in place. Or you could use a cyclone tie around the other way to hold it up and one in the normal way to hold it down. But the metal angle is the better option.

You mean nomal metal angle at whatever size I think I might need, pry it open to whatever angle I require and bolt it into the side of the rafter?

No, I think he means sit the rafter on top of the heavy metal angle (this takes most of the downwards load) and fix the multi grips to the side to stop it canting over and also further fix it.

Mick
    "If you need a machine today and don't buy it,

tomorrow you will have paid for it and not have it."

- Henry Ford 1938

How about I run a ledger along the beam, house out my rafters to sit on the ledger and then slam a couple of nails in. I know I said I didn't want to skew nail but with the rafter sitting on the ledger I think it will look neater and cleaner and of course be structually sound.

Doc.

Use the ledger and the multigrips. Most of the time there is an problem with ledgers so I went with a metal angle option. If the ledger will work then use it.

You will need tie downs so I would use the multigrip instead of the skew nails.

Question Ledger

> Use the ledger and the multigrips.

OK!
    I know what Multi-Grips are.......

The LEDGER,
    Is that like a thickened Facia Board?

Please be gentle and answer in ONE syllable words
    Navvi

Whats wrong with skew nailing it then strapping it with some hoop iron?
    Regards, Bob Thomas

www.wombatsawmill.com

Hoop iron - I think that will look a little rough, but I appreciate the suggestion.

Ledger - I was going to try and explain it but thanks to resident decking expert 'utemad' a picture will explain it perfectly.

That smaller section piece of wood screwed in at the bottom edge of the larger one that's bolted in to the brick is the ledger. See how he's housed out his joists? It allows the joist to sit soundly if you weren't using joist hangers. He showed us this example as an idea for getting around having to use stainless steel hangers around pool areas which can get expensive. What is also important when using this method is that you don't remove more than 1/3rd of the width of the timber. What he's done is perfect.

That's what I will do to the rafters at the correct angle of course ....... and for piece of mind (and fear of no one helping me again if I don't take their advice ) I will use multigrips to tie it down.

Happy to help and thanks for the help guys ,

Dr - 307.

DR, the ledger will work fine. It won't do anything but position the rafters for you.
    If there's no roofing [pergola not verandah etc] then the skew nailing will be sufficient. - no uplift to take into consideration.
    If the area is to be sheeted then you need to look at some form of 'triple grip' setup to provide for uplift & the nailing requirement will be governed by the roof area, spacing of rafters & the 'design wind gust speed'.
    Peter Clarkson

www.ausdesign.com.au

This information is intended to provide general information only.
    It does not purport to be a comprehensive advice.

OK.

Explain this then. How about when I see sheeted pitched (gable or hip) verandahs and they've used - no ledger to support the rafter and no multi or triple grip to fasten it.
    How do they do it? Are they simply skewing a couple nails in or using some other method we don't know about. And I don't mean in backyards either. I'm talking about in parks, council / public areas. I can't remember seeing a joist hanger or grip of some sort used anywhere.

This roof will be lined with a combination of steel and polycarb sheeting. I thought that by using the ledger to take the weight then 3 x 4" nails would do the trick. Triplegrips won't work either because they won't sit on the ledger and get fastened to the rafter and beam properly. In regards to multigrips, I've always looked at them as being a flexible / more adaptable solution to the triplegrip because I thought that the split in the multigrip was a weak point and therefore would not be suitable to a 'two face' connection.

More information......pleeeease .

Dr,
    You got the answers with your first replies, use multigrips/triple grips.
    Support the floor joists on an angle.

"Is there a hanger that is adaptable to angles? "
    If you really want to use joist hangers cut the things in half on the bottom. Fix each side and wack in a couple of decent teks underneath.
    Even use two to make one, that way you have a full lap at bottom. P.O.P.

Cheers
    Bill

3 x 150mm bugle screws should do it, screw from the side beam into the rafter ends ensuring they dont split, talk tour your building inspector assuming you have a permit. As an engineer what would your opinion be on that method dvdhntr ?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast