6th Sep 2010, 06:20 PM #1
Retaining wall built as raised garden bed
I've been looking into landscaping my back yard. I really like the idea of those retaining walls at the back fence to give the garden different height and dimensions. I've read through the retaining wall section of the forum and found out that its not a good idea to build a retaining wall again your fence as the fence isnt strong enough to hold the dirt. Therefore I've decided to build a raised garden bed right next to the fence line so it 'looks' like a retaining wall. Does that sound like a good idea?
I want the raised garden bed to be about 0.6m high x 2m wide x 10m long. I am planning on building it out of treated pine, and then putting blueboard on and rendering it. Iwant it to look like something like this:
I just need to ask a few questions:
1. Do I need to think about drainage for this? I was told by a friend that I dont need draining as the water will just flow to the earth. But I wanted to make sure.
2. What materials do you suggest I use in terms of what size timber to buy for post and sleeps?
3. Would I need to put any waterproof sheets on the inside of the wall?
4. Would it raised garden bed be strong enough to hold the soil
5. Is there anything else that I should be aware of before I construct it?
Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you thank you!!
Read the full thread at RenovateForum.com...
6th Sep 2010 06:20 PM # ADSGoogle Adsense Advertisement
- Join Date
- Advertising world
By Reno RSS Feed in forum BRICKWORK, CONCRETING, PAVING, RENDERING, etcReplies: 0Last Post: 3rd May 2009, 04:00 PM
By Reno RSS Feed in forum BRICKWORK, CONCRETING, PAVING, RENDERING, etcReplies: 0Last Post: 5th Apr 2009, 02:00 AM
By ubeaut in forum BRICKWORK, CONCRETING, PAVING, RENDERING, etcReplies: 0Last Post: 27th Feb 2009, 09:10 PM
By Liz5264 in forum LANDSCAPING, GARDENING, OUTDOORSReplies: 15Last Post: 22nd Apr 2008, 03:55 PM
By bennylaird in forum TIMBERReplies: 19Last Post: 7th Nov 2005, 09:50 AM