Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What are your thoughts.

Just wondering what peoples thoughts are on the set of Carbide tipped lathe tools below.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/301406942...84.m1423.l2649
    Shane

Still trying to fit a square peg into a round hole.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

I wouldnt buy them.

If you were on a budget or wanted to try carbide to see how they go they may be okay, but if they were not to work well or chip easily it may give you the wrong impression of carbide tipped tooling.

You need to make sure that the tips are available freely rather than a special.

The L & R hand tools may be useful but the other 3 I think dont serve any greater purpose than filling the box,if you rotate the L & R tool you can achieve the other shapes.

I would suggest to look at other brands of tooling.

I dont think the tips look to be overly well supported by the tool holder.

I wouldn't buy them either, if you are just wanting to try carbide, then look for inserts that will turn and face, like wnmg, and get the corresponding holder.

Ray

Here's a better alternative, 12mm CCMT https://www.daletools.com.au/turning...sclcr-1212-h09

Ray

I am astounded by those prices Ray... I have started to notice a few local traders now not applying the "Australia tax*" to goods so I am more inclined to buy from them, then overseas, even if slightly more expensive..

*The Australia tax being the mark up applied solely to Australian consumers simply because the trader things he has a captive market and can get away with it.
    Light red, the colour of choice for the discerning man.

Shane

Hi Shane,

What size does your tool holder take, the first ones you linked to were 12mm that last one is 16mm?

If you go for WNMG or CCMT style inserts you can turn and face without removing the tool or changing anything, that's a better choice. The others you need to change between turning and facing.

Ray

Hi Ray, I have a quick change tool holder, it will take 12mm and 16mm tools.

here is a link to the 12mm ones the same guy has.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/12mm-exte...item3f40b5d5b6

Cheers Shane
    Shane

Quote Originally Posted by Auskart View Post
    Just wondering what peoples thoughts are on the set of Carbide tipped lathe tools below.

I would not buy these Chinese tools. Looks too much like junk to me. The seller has another set of Chinese insert tools, and I would not buy these either because they use a mix of proprietary insert sizes.

What I can recommend are the sets from Glanze (made in India). For home use these are IMHO a good compromise between cost and quality. But make sure you buy these with a set of quality Swiss made torx screws, not with the standard soft cheese screws. The good quality high tensile M2.5 Torx screws do cost about $1.5 to 2 each, justifying a set of 6 tools costing about $12 more. I know what I am talking about: if you use the cheap soft screws, they will stretch sooner than you think and ruin the female thread in the toolholder, and then you can toss it all away. By the way, the shank of these tools are not hardened. I also have genuine Mitsubishi toolholders for the same CCMT inserts, and these are not hardened either despite costing 3 times more than the Glanze ones. The main difference is that the pocket for the inserts is machined visibly more precisely on the Mitsubishi's than on the Glanze. But Glanze are in turn finished visibly better than the low cost Chinese ones from above. You get what you pay for, no free lunch with such commodities.

Once you buy your indexable toolholders, make sure everytime you swap insert you very carefully clean the insert, the insert pocket, the female thread and the torx screw, before reassembling it. I use compressed air and WD40 spray. Others have reported success using "blue tack" to clean metal powder out of the insert pocket.

Re inserts, those that come "free" with the toolholders are often cheap and brittle no-name crap. Get two types of inserts, for steel CCMT and for Aluminium/Plastics/Brass/Bronze etc CCGT-Alu or equivalent (TCMT and TCGT if you rather go for triangular inserts).

Quote Originally Posted by cba_melbourne View Post
    I would not buy these Chinese tools. Looks too much like junk to me. The seller has another set of Chinese insert tools, and I would not buy these either because they use a mix of proprietary insert sizes.

What I can recommend are the sets from Glanze (made in India). For home use these are IMHO a good compromise between cost and quality. But make sure you buy these with a set of quality Swiss made torx screws, not with the standard soft cheese screws. The good quality high tensile M2.5 Torx screws do cost about $1.5 to 2 each, justifying a set of 6 tools costing about $12 more. I know what I am talking about: if you use the cheap soft screws, they will stretch sooner than you think and ruin the female thread in the toolholder, and then you can toss it all away. By the way, the shank of these tools are not hardened. I also have genuine Mitsubishi toolholders for the same CCMT inserts, and these are not hardened either despite costing 3 times more than the Glanze ones. The main difference is that the pocket for the inserts is machined visibly more precisely on the Mitsubishi's than on the Glanze. But Glanze are in turn finished visibly better than the low cost Chinese ones from above. You get what you pay for, no free lunch with such commodities.

Once you buy your indexable toolholders, make sure everytime you swap insert you very carefully clean the insert, the insert pocket, the female thread and the torx screw, before reassembling it. I use compressed air and WD40 spray. Others have reported success using "blue tack" to clean metal powder out of the insert pocket.

Re inserts, those that come "free" with the toolholders are often cheap and brittle no-name crap. Get two types of inserts, for steel CCMT and for Aluminium/Plastics/Brass/Bronze etc CCGT-Alu or equivalent (TCMT and TCGT if you rather go for triangular inserts).
    What are your thoughts on these,

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/281302234...84.m1423.l2649

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/271668598...84.m1423.l2649

Cheers Shane
    Shane

Hi Ray, I have a quick change tool holder, it will take 12mm and 16mm tools.

here is a link to the 12mm ones the same guy has.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/12mm-exte...item3f40b5d5b6

Cheers Shane
    Hi Shane,

I'm not a big fan of no-name carbide inserts, they might be ok?, better to buy a known brand of insert and reduce the risk..

You could buy brand name inserts and a holder cheaper than the price of that one on ebay.

Here is a tool holder and Mitsubishi inserts from CTC, you pick the tool holder size and the material, Al, steel, stainless.. http://www.ctctools.biz/servlet/the-...d-lathe/Detail

Ray

Shane,

I cannot comment on the first link with 16mm shank. Simply because the largest lathe tools I used in the last 35 Years are 12mm shank.

The second set looks good to me. TCMT1102xx are easy and plentiful to get. The seller does not mention if the screws are high tensile. Hence they are most likely not, as this is a sales argument that other sellers would emphasize. Not a deal breaker, you can easily buy good screws from a brand name toolholder maker. It is the first time I hear about "Lifeng Deskar" brand inserts. they may be ok, maybe not.

I just ordered yesterday a couple boring bars for TCMT1102xx from HongKong. Possibly same maker, but with a pack of free Mitsubishi inserts. I will know more when the stuff arrives.

Not only would I not buy those holders in the OP's link, I wouldn't buy anything from a seller who offers such crap.

I bought a similar set but have since changed to ISO inserts and holders. your welcome to the tool-holders if you want them
    BETTER TO HAVE TOOLS YOU DON'T NEED THAN TO NEED TOOLS YOU DON'T HAVE

Andre

Quote Originally Posted by welder View Post
    I bought a similar set but have since changed to ISO inserts and holders. your welcome to the tool-holders if you want them
    Hi Andre, was trying to send my full address by PM, but get the following message..

"welder has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space."

Shane
    Shane

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast