Page 20 of 33 FirstFirst ... 10151617181920212223242530 ... LastLast

Thanks Arthur,

Appreciate your comments. Hope you didn't get too wet or blown away last week.

Regards

Keith

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

I mistakenly called the valves I was making Blowdown valves. They are actually stop cocks that release condensate from the cylinders. I have been working on these for a couple of days. I also made up 2 more coupling chains for the front of the locomotive and also the rear hitch point where the tender will connect to the locomotive. Also connected copper tube from the lubricator at the front of the loco. Fitted all these components. Happy with how it is all coming together. Ignore that the coupling rods are not totally in line from front to rear wheel. Still need to align when I shorten the axles. A couple of days off now, taking Cathie to visit her auntie. Have to do these things to stay in good books

Regards

Keith

Back hitch.jpgDrain cocks.jpg

Looking truly magnificent Keith.
    I'd say "well done" but it would be an understatement!

Cheers
    Trev.

Quote Originally Posted by Repliconics View Post
    Looking truly magnificent Keith.
    I'd say "well done" but it would be an understatement!

Cheers
    Trev.
    Thanks for your comments Trevor,

Still lots to do. Once the loco has been dismantled, repainted and then permanently put together I will start on the tender. The tender will be a challenge. It is more intricate than you would think for something that services the loco. There is also a brake assembly on it which will be quite fun to build. I might also give the Gold Leaf a bit of a go again. It's great building this loco.

Regards

Keith

The Loco is looking good Kieth have not been on latley as my poor computer died and is away being repaired just hope it can be done as most of my woodworking photo's are on it. Using one that has been given to me. Now to catch up on any posts I have missed.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalboy View Post
    The Loco is looking good Kieth have not been on latley as my poor computer died and is away being repaired just hope it can be done as most of my woodworking photo's are on it. Using one that has been given to me. Now to catch up on any posts I have missed.
    Great to hear from you Derek.

Sorry that your computer failed.

Hope you can get it fixed soon and more importantly that you are well.

All the Best

Keith

Hi All,

Today was crunch day !!. Trying to get the Firebox, Boiler and Smokebox assembled permanently. Yesterday I shortened all the axles to correct length and aligned the crank and coupling rods.
    I took a photo without the boiler in position just to show the underneath drive mechanism.
    I screwed the Firebox to the boiler at correct height (at last don't need to use timber to sit underneath to show correct height).
    I used one of Cathie's old brooch chains to connect to the firebox cover, (so the fireman won't get burnt opening the cover to stoke the fire). The control panel is now glued and secured in position. When this was completed it allowed me to make a bottom cover which totally enclosed the Firebox.
    Some minor adjustment was needed to position the smokebox in position. This is now glued and doweled in position.
    Still need to secure the wheel splashguards - riveting these into position and then secure the footplate and handrailings. Then I need to make the support brackets to support the boiler, smokebox and Firebox. These are on the original loco but won't be securing anything on my loco - only for looks.
    The challenge will now be to make the "LION" signs on the sides of the loco. Photo of original is shown below.
    Soon it will be onto the tender. Happy with today's outcomes.

Regards

Keith

Drive mechanism.jpgAssembled.jpgDriver view.jpglion sign.jpg

crowie is online now Life's Good, Enjoy each new day & try to encourage

Quote Originally Posted by Dalboy View Post
    A good lesson for all of us thank you Derek.... we need to do "hard drive data backup's very regularly".... cheers, Peter

Absolutely beautiful and master class craftsmanship. Every time I think it can't,,, it does get better.
    Paul
    S.E. Washington State, U.S.A.

My scrolling: https://imgur.com/a/f2Fj8

Quote Originally Posted by crowie View Post
    A good lesson for all of us thank you Derek.... we need to do "hard drive data backup's very regularly".... cheers, Peter
    Thanks Peter,

That's a great thing about the Forum, if you put your Work In Progress photos and script in you have a really good account of how you progress with the photos. Also great comments and suggestions from members. Sort of a backup as well I suppose.

Regards

Keith

Hi Guys,

Today I worked on the "Lion" signs that are on the sides of the locomotive on the original. I calculated from photos that the sign is 0.188 of the total boiler length. On my model that makes it 62mm long. I then used a photo off the Lion Historical society website and imported it into Word. I then made the sign the exact size (62mm long) for my loco. I then printed it off on photographic paper. Then using Cathie's extra sharp quilting scissors - she cut out the letters L-I-O-N for me - twice. I am not allowed to use her scissors - she reckons I blunt them. She's not allowed to use my bandsaw, lathe etc. either. Once cut out I used needle files to smooth the letters. I then spray painted the letters in gold enamel. I made up the backing plate out of MDF. The "rivets" are 1mm brads with heads painted black. Once the letters and backing plates were dry, I secured the letters with 5 minute araldite. Very finicky getting them all lined up. Then made up a press out of timber to make sure the letters were flat. Then used 4 coats of High Gloss enamel to finish off the sign.
    Also started work on the boiler support brackets. These are being cut out using the bandsaw.

All the Best

Keith

Sign support.jpg

Name plates are looking great you both have done a great job on them.

Keith,
    I have spent the last few hours looking at 20 pages of miracles. There are no words available to describe your skill and dedication which haven't already been written. Know that watching it all come together is an education for those who think their own skills are adequate. I now know mine are not. Congratulations,
    Gus

Quote Originally Posted by xpro View Post
    Keith,
    I have spent the last few hours looking at 20 pages of miracles. There are no words available to describe your skill and dedication which haven't already been written. Know that watching it all come together is an education for those who think their own skills are adequate. I now know mine are not. Congratulations,
    Gus

Hi Gus,

Thanks for such kind words - you flatter me.

I believe I have a lot to learn (including patience and attention to detail) when you see the beautiful, skillful work that is being carried out on this Forum. There are indeed lots of dedicated brilliant people out there - who are only too willing to help.

The skills by others on this Toymaking Forum is breathtaking.

I have widened my horizons by looking at the Boxmaking Forum, Scrollworkers Forum and Pyrography Forum - Brilliant.

I think we all need to just be really happy that we are doing the best we can do and improve with experience as we go from one project to the next. It is really important that you don't put yourself down.

I have found that you need to work on projects that are your passion - I love Steam Locomotives. Hopefully Stephenson's Rocket - my next project will be an improvement on this one.

Again thanks for your kind words and if I have made you happy with you looking at my thread - I am so pleased.

Best Regards

Keith

Well it's getting a bit sad, the locomotive section of my build is nearly complete. I still have to fit the handrail sections and then the back firebox supports. Then it will be onto the tender - really looking forward to that. Think it will add a lot to the locomotive. After that it will be onto the rails and sleepers.
    Today I completed the boiler and smokebox supports along with fitting the Lion signs. I am really happy that the signs line up to almost the exact spot to that of the original Lion in Liverpool Museum.
    Hard to tell how long to completion. Things go faster and slower than you anticipate. I think Cathie wants me to spend less time in the shed as well.

Have a good weekend

Regards

Keith

Loco nearing comp.jpg