Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Flush chisel recommendation

In the middle of slowly setting up a workshop and am now in the market for chisels. Hoping someone can point me towards a chisel that will sit flush on the work. The only one I have found is Chisel HDC — Hultafors. Anyone used these? Is the steel any good? Any others out there?

and in general is it better to hunt for some old bergs or bacho or something and clean them up, or go new? There is a lot out there with a huge price range .. Bit tricky for a newbie.

Doing cabinetry and furniture mostly.
    Dont mind paying for good tools and getting them slowly rather than a buying a cheaper set

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Hi,
    To cut flush with the work or pare any chisel can be used if the blade is long enough to get at the job. Paring chisels have extra long blades for this.
    Narex Wood Line Plus Paring Chisel 6 MM | eBay
    I have an old titan that is about 10'' long so can clean out a 20'' long trench. The other chisel is a cranked chisel.
    Narex Wood Line Plus Cranked Neck Paring Chisel 25 mm - Fine Tools Australia
    I have been on the lookout for an old one of these for a long time but manage to get by without it. Good name brand old chisels are great and can sometimes be found quite cheap but can take a while to find what you want. The Narex brand are quite good for the money and a lot of people on here have some. Reports have been quite good.
    I favour old chisels but sometimes have to buy new when I cant find what I am after.
    Regards
    John

Thanks for the pointers john. I happened to come across narex in my travels, their manufacturing technique is interesting, https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TF4CzzQaZDo

There was a black handle Bacho that was flat, but no longer made unfortunately.
    Might get a couple of common sizes in narex and see how they go.

Default Where to buy tools Sydney.

If you are in the Sydney area the TTTG tool sale on the 28th at The Brickpits Sports Stadium, 1A Dartford Rd Thornleigh will have a good selection of all sorts of hand tools for sale from the 60 or so tables.
    I personally have a set long Japanese paring chisels which are slightly cranked so the blade is flat on the surface and the handle is angled up at a few degrees.
    Having used western style long paring chisels for the previous 30 plus years I find these very good to use.
    H.
    Last edited by clear out; 10th February 2016 at 05:04 PM. Reason: More information thanks rusty nail.
    Jimcracks for the rich and/or wealthy. (aka GKB '88)

Quote Originally Posted by Rich5 View Post
    Thanks for the pointers john. I happened to come across narex in my travels, their manufacturing technique is interesting, https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TF4CzzQaZDo

There was a black handle Bacho that was flat, but no longer made unfortunately.
    Might get a couple of common sizes in narex and see how they go.
    I got a set of the mortice chisels a few years back. Looking to make a set from old finds would have taken too long. I based my choice on the good reviews on this forum and others plus the price was good. I was not aware of how they were made so thanks for posting that clip. They sharpen up well and keep the edge reasonably well. For those that like good crisp corners on the blade these are the ones. I have cut myself on them so gave then a lite rub down the corners with fine sandpaper. I left the last inch as is and I cant see me using that much of it in my lifetime.
    Regards
    John

Thornleigh.

Tool sale sounds great. Thanks for the heads up. It's always nice to hold a tool before you buy it.
    I wondered about the Japanese chisels. I think I will cherrie pick till I figure out what I like and use most.
    Sharpening will be my next mission to get ontop of. Might need a bit more than my granddads old shaving stone and sewing oil I reckon.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich5 View Post
    Dont mind paying for good tools and getting them slowly rather than a buying a cheaper set
    I came across this by searching for 'offset chisel'

Cranked-Neck Paring Chisels - Lee Valley Tools

Looks like what you were after.