Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by stefan_bonnici View Post
    i have another small question.

regarding concrete..... i have 12 posts to put in..... do you think that i will be ok to use raedy mix concrete to fill them it ? will just concrete around them be enough ? do i need to concrete the fence posts too? is there a need to put anything underneath the posts, inside the hole ?

thanks

stefan
    Decking Stirups
    Don't use rapid set, using premixed concrete you buy in a bag is OK but mix it with water in a barrow first, don't just stick it in the hole and add water. Make sure there is at least 100mm of concrete under the post and you should be right.

Fence Posts
    If they are steel, concrete them in the same as above. Some people like to concrete in timber, others say steer clear of it as it can hold water and cause rotting. I like concrete but ultimately it is your choice.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

thanks for that i think i will concrete all of them and maybe paint the fence posts prior to putting then in concrete !!

now to the hard bit..... removing the old fence posts ....

any idea how ?

thanks

most come out when you dig down beside it about shovel width ...then move em back and forth till they "feel" loose .....then put a pinch bar into the bottom rail hole ...support the tip on a couple of bricks ....and lift

Stefan,
    Fence posts - directly into concrete. Painting them first is also a good idea.
    Deck stumps - use stirrups to support the deck stumps.

Cheers,
    Dr - 307.
    All decks should be stained....black white black white black white.......after all it would match anything!
    All roofs should be covered or tiled.....black colorbond, silver mist, black colorbond, silver mist, black colorbond.........after all, we wouldn't want a mismatch!

gday bloke

not sure the type of fence posts you need to remove - if they are the concrete ones you can't go past an engine hoist to do the job. you can hire one (don't tellem what yer gonna use it for!)

be sure to put it on the 2t setting otherwise you will bend the jib (yes, i speak from experience ) add a metre of chain to the hook; lower the jib right as low as it will go then wrap the bulk of the chain around the base of the concrete stump then return it back to the hook.

once you get into the swing of it you can do 10 metres of fenceline in about 1/2 an hour.

r's brynk
    "Man got the opposable thumb - woman got four opposable fingers." - Rowdy

As you said it was an appartment have you checked with the strata company as you may find that you do not own you garden and that it is zoned exclusive useonly .I would hate for you to build it and have to remove it i went though a hell of a time to get a patio for my appartment .
    rob .
    p.s have you seen / used google sketch up it great for doing plans ? and simple to use and free to down load .

Yes i checked that already but Fourtunatley enough our coutyard is on the title so we own it. The reason why im changing the fence myself aswell is that the fence iss not touching any neighbours but it divides a path way to our back apartment and by the time i go thriugh all body corporate crap ill be better off doing it myself and get it done and over

ANOTHER QUESTION FOR ALL YOU GUYS "Joining Bearers"

I know its been tackled many times, but here is the question i am bolting my beareres to the posts and i know im not gonna find 1 whole length of timber 8M long so which is the best way to join the bearers ? (Bearers are 140X45) over the post using a 'Z' type joint ?

great help is always appreciated.

stefan.

Looking at your plan you can cover the first four stumps (three bearer spans) with a 4800mm piece and the last three stumps (two bearer spans) with a 3600mm piece. Both bearers will 'butt join' over the fourth stump therefore both lengths of timber will share the fourth stump.
    Your stumps need to be housed out to hold the bearers. It's outside so you need galvanised hardware like nuts and bolts.

Do yourself a favour and go to Bunnings and buy the book "Deck and Pergolas" by Alan Staines. You will get a lot of questions answered from this book. Otherwise you will have too many questions and you will be waiting for the forum to answer them. Everybody wants to help but it is difficult trying to explain in writing what a great book can explain in pictures. That's how I built my first one and I've now built close to 20.

Get the book!!!

Dr - 307.
    All decks should be stained....black white black white black white.......after all it would match anything!
    All roofs should be covered or tiled.....black colorbond, silver mist, black colorbond, silver mist, black colorbond.........after all, we wouldn't want a mismatch!

Default Finally Started

its been a while since my last post but i was a bit busy building my small project. The first phase is ready, and i have now a new fence. next will be the deck for which i already have the posts in, and next will follow the bearers, ledger and joist and finally deck the whole lot.

I am attaching some photos on my progress. i am still in doubt if to use 140x45 or 90x45 for the joists and bearers, since clearance from the ground is a bit limited. any advice is appreciated.

Good stuff. Well on your way.
    Just a question, what is the area between your fence and the neighbours fence? Some sort of access is it?

As far as the joists go you have to use the 140 x 45. 90 x 45 to too light for the 1800 span. What type of timber are u going to use for the joists?

Cheers,
    Doc.
    Last edited by Dr - 307; 11th March 2008 at 11:47 AM. Reason: additional info - joists.

THANKS

Yes the space between my fence and the neighbour is an acces path for the next appartment at the back.

as regarding timber i will be using treated pine 140X45 or 120X45 mgp 10 i think it is called.

with 140 i will be very close to the ground at the far end and i am affariad of water being trapped behind the joist.

Quote Originally Posted by stefan_bonnici View Post
    THANKS

with 140 i will be very close to the ground at the far end and i am affariad of water being trapped behind the joist.
    dig a small trench and lay aggi pipe to carry any excess water away if you think it may cause a problem later ...better to put this in now than rip it all up later for repairs

i manage to find some usefull span tables for timber joists used in floors and balconies.

for my deck, joists span 1650mm between ledger and bearers and bearere spans 2200mm between posts and has 300mm cantilever on each sides.

according to these tables i can use 140X45 mgp10 for bearer and ledger and 120X45 mgp10 for joists at 450mm spacing.

hope you all find this file usefull and helpfull

thanks

stefan

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12