Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Rifle Cartridge Pen kits

The initial series of kits has now been completed, but there will be more to come.

I have added some pictures to show the first kits, 3 different calibre bottom barrels and 2 different top kits.

The 270B kit uses a solid copper bullet.

The 2 top kits can be added to to the 3006B and 270B kits.

The 308B kit is ready for you to add your own top or make make one using Kit 308T2P, the 2 part kit.

Kit 308TSB is not suitable for adding to Kit 308B as is, this is because of the part tube sticking out, needed to hold the transmission. If it was pushed all the way in or cut off, it would be too short to take the transmission.

You can however make a pen using Kit 308B and 308TSB, but you will need to add a Slimline or Streamline centre band, or one of your own making. Be aware that the Slimline/Streamline centre bands will need to be reamed out to slide over the exposed tube on 308B.

Please note these kits have been polished only (also called "Army"), no lacquer or powder coating clear has been applied applied. You can of course decide to do this yourself. Kit 308T2P is left unpolished. this needs to be done after you add your blank.

For all these kits you need to add your own Slimline/Streamline kit.

Please email me for price list and order form.
    Last edited by Big Shed; 3rd January 2012 at 07:56 AM.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Thanks Fred, order sent, Amos
    Good, better, best, never let it rest;
    Til your good is better, and your
    better, best.

Default Top Barrel for 30B Kit Tutorial

Finally got around to doing another tutorial, this time to make a top barrel for the 30B Bottom Barrel kit.

The one shown here uses one of my camo blanks with a Rifle Clip in Copper from David at Timberbits.

There are endless possible variations, the barrel above overlaps the tube by 5mm to clear the part tube sticking out of the bottom barrel.

This can also be done by using a centre band, in this case the blank can be trimmed flush with the end of the top barrel tube.

The centre band has been drilled out to 7mm to clear the bottom tube.

Kit is a Streamline in Gold, the blank is Dymondwood.

Last edited by Big Shed; 3rd January 2012 at 08:00 AM.

wow very nice. Where did you source your diamond wood from?? IT looks hot
    bye Toni

Default Cartridge pen kits

G Day Fred PM sent kits look awesome.
    Cheers Gerry

Quote Originally Posted by lubbing5cherubs View Post
    wow very nice. Where did you source your diamond wood from?? IT looks hot
    bye Toni
    Thanks Toni, some time ago Carbatec was selling out of their Dymond wood blanks. I bought a whole swag for quite a low price, some forum members managed to pick them up for half what I paid.

Never did much with them, but happened to come across the blue one whilst playing with the bullet pens and as they say "the rest is history".

Have done a dark red one as well and it looks good also, in fact may have lost that one to SWMBO!

Still need to take a photo of that one, as well as some others. When I do, I will put it up here.

Well done Big shed, nice to see you making these available to members that may not have the facilities to produce these pens on their own ,I know its a lot of work to take a shell from scratch and prepare it for use as a pen ,I do my own after getting a few from "pasho" to try .I am always surprised by the reaction these pens receive and are always good sellers,seems a lot of shooters out their in spite of our draconian gun laws ! cheers ~ john
    G'day all !Enjoy your stay !!!

On to the next lot of pens, this time using the 2 part top barrels, kit 308T2P.

It is basically a 308 cartridge, drilled to 7mm, parted off on the lathe and an 8mm tube installed in the neck so that a 7mm slimeline/streamline tube fits without any further modification.

My first design of this kit did not have the small piece of 8mm tube in the neck and it made for a much harder turning job.

I have attached a revised tutorial for this kit, so if you downloaded version 1 (now deleted) please download the new version.

This kit works best on the 30B Bottom Barrel, if installed on the 3006B or 270B kit, the pen becomes a bit long if using the full length of the slimline tube (53mm).

Later on I will be showing how to overcome this and use this kit on the 3006B and 270B.

Here are 2 complted tops made with the 308T2P kit with a 308B Bottom Barrel and transmission.

Blank is one of my homebrew blacks (goes really well with the brass IMHO), clip and finial from a Timberbits slimline kit, 308B bottom kit.

Camo blank (homebrew) Rifle Clip Gold from Timberbits, finial from a Streamline kit (Carrolls), 308B Bottom Barrel.

Last edited by Big Shed; 3rd January 2012 at 08:05 AM.

Default Solid Brass Top Bullet pens

Finally, we can make bullet pens out of 2 complete casings/cartridges. These are the simplest to make, as the 308TSB kits. These kits only need a clip and finial installed to be reay to use on a bullet pen. The neck of these casings/cartridges has been modified with an 8mm tube so it and then a 7m tube is soldered in for the total length of the cartridge.

I have attached a short description of the process, I hesitate to call it a tutorial.

This shows a 308 Bottom Barrel with 2 308TSB tops, left one uses centre band, clip and finial from a Chrome Streamline kit. The one on the right uses the same centre band and finial but a chrome Rifle Clip from Timberbits.

Here they are both fitted to a 308 Bottom Barrel

Copper kits work well with the all brass bullet pens, here we have Copper Slimline (Timberbits) fittings, shown with a 270 Bottom Barrel.
    The right one uses the same finial but with a Copper Rifle Clip (Timberbits), again on a 3006 Bottom Barrel.
    Last edited by Big Shed; 3rd January 2012 at 08:10 AM.

Default Bullet pens

Hi Fred
    I'm joining the committee of [WOODWORKERS OF THE SOUTHERN PENINSULA INC ] after two years of sitting on the fence, we have 11 lathes & all the other woodwork equip, i think our members would be very interested in your bullet pens, i've printed your tutorial & will show at the club as quite a lot of pens are turned at the club .
    I would apprecieate a copy of your supply list & prices,availability,time-line, postage
    in lots of 10-20-50 i haven't worked-out how to here yet but i'll get there
    Thank's Kerry

Hi Kerry,

I've taken the liberty of deleting the quoted part of your reply as it make your reply rather long and hard to read.

If you PM me your email address I'll send you a price list by return "mail".

Thanks for the kind thoughts.

Just a quick update to remind people that I now also have the Rifle Cartridge kits in the .303 calibre.

Bottom kit in .303, 303B

With the .303 cartridge as a top kit, 303TSB.

With the 2 part top kit, 303T2P

With only the the bottom part of the 303T2P and a Euro clip and finial.

I can now also supply all the bottom kits, 308B 3006B and 303B, with the slimline transmission already fitted, at additional cost.

The 270B kit will be discontinued when current stocks are exhausted, not may left.