Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Wadkin JT Disc & Bobbin Sander

Hey all,

Had a sleepless night last night and ended up grabbing the ipad and scrolling through looking for things for sale. I ended up coming across a Wadking (not Wadkin, I seem to be buying all the misspells) JT Disc & Bobbin Sander.

Disk & Bobin sander, Wadking, machine number JT1378, test number 89682, 415 Auction (0025-5007253) | GraysOnline Australia

I have wanted a wadkin JY bobbin sander for some time now, so I thought 2 for 1 offer. It ended up costing me $710 including fees etc. (which is the most I have spent on a machine yet, I think), but I went and had a look at it in person and the photos do not do it justice, it is in really beautiful condition (rust is just very superficial, only broken part I could find was the large wing nut for the disk cementing press, the two wings have been broken off, couldn't test the motors as it is in a storage unit, but everything turns smoothly with no noise or play so fingers crossed).

It doesn't come with the universal swivel fence (unfortunately), and I think extra bobbins were an add on (only has the one on the machine), but does have the 2 spare disks for different grits and the disc cementing clamp. The main motor for the 30" disc is 4HP, and the bobbin motor is 1 1/2HP, she is certainly no small machine weighing in at just under a ton.

Pickup still needs to be arranged, but they have all the gear to load so that shouldn't be a problem (only problem is where to put it at my end, in-laws are going away for two weeks so might sit over their wile I continue to get rid of some stuff).

This is the brochure:

http://www.wadkin.com/uploads/files/...n%20Sander.pdf

and the manual:

http://www.wadkin.com/uploads/files/...rts%20List.pdf

Anyone got any more detail to share (might help me identify parts etc.)?
    This is the badge, can anyone remind me how to date this?

image.jpg

Cheers,

Camo

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Awesome piece of kit! Just paint it a better color I hate that machinery green.
    …..Live a Quiet Life & Work with your Hands

Quote Originally Posted by DSEL74 View Post
    Awesome piece of kit! Just paint it a better color I hate that machinery green.
    Agreed, I don't know why but I am not a fan of the green either

Default Green

Cam,
    I am applying to the mods to ban you.
    Green! I wouldn't care if it was pink!

Good luck to you and it's just down the road at Toronto.
    This means that when a Barker double disc falls into your lap you'll knock it back?

The clamp was needed because the time it took for the old glue to dry.
    The apprentice scraped the old paper and glue off after soaking the disc in water.
    He then glued up 2 at a time on the clamp.
    3 discs = 1 on machine and 2 to glue up.
    I remember when they started using a contact and if you were lucky on a hot day the disc would peel off ok.
    After a few times the glue had to be removed so scraper and turps then metho to evaporate the turps.

These have been on my wanted list for years but lately due to using one in a smaller workshop I realise I don't have the room now for one so I'm glad I didn't see it. I've jumped in before and 6 months later ### am I doing with this!
    I have a JY bobbin and a Bursgreen BGY disc and belt.
    I have a few 30 inch Wadkin discs and a heavy angle frame plus motor,pulleys and shaft to build a single 30 inch disc but don't know when that will happen.
    Pic of the one from work included will have a look at the handwheel on the back of it when next in there as yours is a very late machine.
    Does yours have the mitre gauge?
    H.P1050007.JPG
    Jimcracks for the rich and/or wealthy. (aka GKB '88)

Quote Originally Posted by clear out View Post
    I'm a little puzzled by the disc guard on the front. Which way does the disc rotate? On my disc sander you work on the RHS as it rotates anti clockwise.

Default Disc guard

Quote Originally Posted by DSEL74 View Post
    I'm a little puzzled by the disc guard on the front. Which way does the disc rotate? On my disc sander you work on the RHS as it rotates anti clockwise.
    The disc rotates clockwise.
    You work on the RHS side as the downward rotation of the disc presses the work onto the table.
    Do it the other way and the work can be lifted off or flung out of the way and your pinkys become red and shorter.
    H.

The disc rotates clockwise.
    You work on the RHS side as the downward rotation of the disc presses the work onto the table.
    Do it the other way and the work can be lifted off or flung out of the way and your pinkys become red and shorter.
    H.

Cool mine is in reverse.

Cam,
    I am applying to the mods to ban you.

I am sure my wife would be happy to sign a petition for that.

Thanks for the details on the clamp, any recommendations on what paper/adhesive to use these days, and possible sources (I have never had to source paper discs that big before). Obviously it depends on what you are sanding etc, but what would you recommend as an all around grit size?

Unfortunately no mitre guage, I am guessing that I am probably unlikely to come across another one anytime soon. I would love to see some pictures and get some measurements if you have one. I saw this other one that sold in 2011 Wadkin 30 inch disc sander with bobbin sander, JTA420 400v (Type B Asset) Auction (0105-3000290) | GraysOnline Australia which had a picture of the guage on the table (which helped explain the holes in the table).

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

I definitely think my one is a late machine, I am fairly sure it was the first 2 digits of the serial number is the year, so that would make it 1989 build, I have looked over the manuals and other machines on the Internet, and apart from the colour, one of the handles and the switches, etc. I think the castings are the same as the older ones, (but then I have never been very good at spotting differences).

I also got a Wadkin bursgreen DM/V chisel morticer from the same seller (
    Chisel Mortising Machine, Wadkin, Bursgreen, machine number DM/V 851065, se Auction (0027-5007253) | GraysOnline Australia

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

It's no MF, and just a chisel, no chain, but again it is in really good condition, everything felt smooth and tight (according to the seller it came out of a naval training department, so probably didn't see much work). It has a 2hp motor. This is the manual and brochure for it:

http://www.wadkin.com/uploads/files/...List%20NEW.pdf

http://www.wadkin.com/uploads/files/...20Mortiser.pdf

Cheers,

Camo

Default Mitre gauge

Cam,
    The mitre gauge is adjustable and sits on a piece of 19 x 12mm steel bar about 150mm long.
    It can slide on this bar so the wear on the paper isn't too localized.
    The bar has two steel dowels which locate it anywhere on the table you want to put it.

We had a dozen or so aerosol cans of disc cement the last bod had bought.
    By the time I left it was getting very splotchy coming out of the can.
    I used a Bear disc contact in my own shop earlier but don't know if this is still available.
    The best I believe is the latex shearers disc glue used when they would be sharpening the combs in the sheds.
    A mate and myself bought a quantity of this years ago but from memory I didn't use my half quickly enough and it went off.

The paper we were using is Norton 60 grit the yellow stuff about 900 wide.
    Also cut the bobbin paper from this.
    I may have some of this or I do have a stash of precut discs in a few grits somewhere on the racking in the back of the shed.
    Your welcome to a few when you get down here.

That mortiser looks very nice, the chain and chisel ones are monsters I forked one out of the Cabbys shop at work and now Arch has it in the wood studio.
    There was also a DR36 and a disccabobbular like yours, they knocked down the building during the Xmas break so what happened to them I'll never know

I have an instruction book for the Disc & Bobbin plus one for a DM mortiser.

I noticed on the Gray's link re the Disc and Bobbin sold in Sunshine Vic in 2011 that there was also a Wadkin Pattern mill auctioned.
    What are going to do when another comes up
    H.

Cam,
    The mitre gauge is adjustable and sits on a piece of 19 x 12mm steel bar about 150mm long.
    It can slide on this bar so the wear on the paper isn't too localized.
    The bar has two steel dowels which locate it anywhere on the table you want to put it.

We had a dozen or so aerosol cans of disc cement the last bod had bought.
    By the time I left it was getting very splotchy coming out of the can.
    I used a Bear disc contact in my own shop earlier but don't know if this is still available.
    The best I believe is the latex shearers disc glue used when they would be sharpening the combs in the sheds.
    A mate and myself bought a quantity of this years ago but from memory I didn't use my half quickly enough and it went off.

The paper we were using is Norton 60 grit the yellow stuff about 900 wide.
    Also cut the bobbin paper from this.
    I may have some of this or I do have a stash of precut discs in a few grits somewhere on the racking in the back of the shed.
    Your welcome to a few when you get down here.

That mortiser looks very nice, the chain and chisel ones are monsters I forked one out of the Cabbys shop at work and now Arch has it in the wood studio.
    There was also a DR36 and a disccabobbular like yours, they knocked down the building during the Xmas break so what happened to them I'll never know

I have an instruction book for the Disc & Bobbin plus one for a DM mortiser.

I noticed on the Gray's link re the Disc and Bobbin sold in Sunshine Vic in 2011 that there was also a Wadkin Pattern mill auctioned.
    What are going to do when another comes up
    H.

Henry,

You are a wealth of knowledge, and I really have to get down your way!! I posted my purchase on the Canadian forum yesterday and Jack tuned in and it turns out I got lucky with the morticer. I wasn't sure, but it is looking like it is definitely the DMV and not just the DM, which means Vibrating head (100 times a minute), should help with the chiseling process!!

I have not yet had the chance to stand next to a DR36, but they either used small people in the catalogue photo shoots or they are monsters..

Cheers,

Camo

Hi Camoz,
    Boy you know how to make a guy jealous.
    The only times I got to use these beautiful machines was at tech during my apprenticeship, as I recall the holes in the table we used them to sand round disk's for pattern parts, wind the table out from the disk install rough disk on a pivot dowel in the hole then wind the table in till makes contact then spin the disk wind in more and repeat till precise diameter is reached you could also tilt the table to also give you taper to the edge to draw from mould.
    Regards Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Gilbert View Post
    Hi Camoz,
    Boy you know how to make a guy jealous.
    The only times I got to use these beautiful machines was at tech during my apprenticeship, as I recall the holes in the table we used them to sand round disk's for pattern parts, wind the table out from the disk install rough disk on a pivot dowel in the hole then wind the table in till makes contact then spin the disk wind in more and repeat till precise diameter is reached you could also tilt the table to also give you taper to the edge to draw from mould.
    Regards Rod.
    Rod,

Thanks for the insight, I am like a kid waiting for Christmas(collection day). This machine will be going straight into service (after checking the bearings and a clean up), that is once I find a source of sanding paper (haven't called anyone yet, but I have not found anything listed online). I went to the woodwork show today and thought it doesn't hurt to ask, everyone I asked thought I meant 30cm instead of 30 inches. I am going to have to call around tomorrow.

Cheers,

Camo

Default Big sandpaper discs.

Cam,
    I have discs here, happy to give you one when you come down.
    Alternately if you have time we could duck into the Uni and cut one from the roll.
    You can see a disc and bobbin in use and fondle a DR36
    The glue would be my concern at the moment,I will ring my mate Gerard the guitarmaker and see what he is now using. Go you halves if a its still a decent quantity to be bought.
    H.
    Ps do you have the steel handles that screw into the disc so you can lift it off the machine?
    If not I'll check the thread (be Whitworth for sure) and chase up some big old bolts.
    To change it this way you need a fit helper,to do it on your own you can use a decent 'G' clamp and your engine crane after taking the Al guard off.
    Thinking why take it off
    I guess I've found winding the table out and removing and cleaning off the old disc a pain in situ.
    As for positioning the new one with contact on it, even using lengths of dowelling and a helper it's dodgy.H.

Cam,
    I have discs here, happy to give you one when you come down.
    Alternately if you have time we could duck into the Uni and cut one from the roll.
    You can see a disc and bobbin in use and fondle a DR36
    The glue would be my concern at the moment,I will ring my mate Gerard the guitarmaker and see what he is now using. Go you halves if a its still a decent quantity to be bought.
    H.
    Ps do you have the steel handles that screw into the disc so you can lift it off the machine?
    If not I'll check the thread (be Whitworth for sure) and chase up some big old bolts.
    To change it this way you need a fit helper,to do it on your own you can use a decent 'G' clamp and your engine crane after taking the Al guard off.
    Thinking why take it off
    I guess I've found winding the table out and removing and cleaning off the old disc a pain in situ.
    As for positioning the new one with contact on it, even using lengths of dowelling and a helper it's dodgy.H.
    Hey Henry,

I am getting more and more excited about this visit every day. We definitely have to go and have a look at the sander and DR36 (do I have time....I will make time). If you can look into the glue that would be great (I have done a bit of a search and mixed feedback on different glues, so it would be good to see what the professionals are using). The guy gave me one handle (should be two, and the actual bolt looks to have been snapped before and welded, I will probably use the engine hoist to lift it out (like you said G clamp or sling over two replacement bolts), I am sure I read somewhere they are 125 pound each.

Cheers,

Camo

Hey cam I know when I can't sleep I also find the need to buy a Wadkin JT Disc & Bobbin Sander
    DANGER!!!!
    I'm Dyslexic Spelling may offend!!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast