Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default WARNING: 36V DeWalt Battery drill chuck problems.

My 10 week old, or so, 36Volt DeWalt Battery drill chuck just exploded in two!!!!!!! Check out the pic.
    Was only screwing in a YZP batten/cyclone screw through yellow tongue flooring and into pine and 'C R A C K'.

Took it into the shop to make a claim on the warrantee and the guy says 'Oh. The chucks not covered by the warrantee'

I then says quite loudly "F^%$IN BULL%$#@ IT'S NOT COVERED BY WARRANTEE! YOU GIVE ME THE REPS F&%$IN' NUMBER RIGHT NOW!. I ONLY BOUGHT THIS A FEW WEEKS BACK! TRUST ME THIS IS GETTING FIXED FOR FREE!!!"

What would they be saying if it wasn't covered? That a $2 hex bit is stronger than the chuck or that you are actually getting the chuck for free when you spend $$$ on a drill. C'mon, give us a break.

Then another salesman couldn't help but hear and commented on the fact these drill have indeed got bad chucks and they are replacing them. Apparently 99.99% of drill chucks aren't covered by warrantee. But this is a dud, so look out. Up to 2 weeks to get fixed. D'oh.

Funny thing was I was telling an apprentice the day before I have never had to make a warrantee claim before ever!

Anyway, just warning ya's.
    <!-- / message --><!-- attachments -->
    www.myspace.com/carpenterrific

Looks like I'm going to keep blaming my tools because:

"Poor tradesmen blame their tools. Rich tradies just go and buy new ones..."

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Looks like it was baked too long. If 'they' try to give you the run around, key phrases are 'not suitable for use', 'not of merchantable quality', 'Department of Fair Trading' along with 'Current Affair/Today Tonight' or other TV scandal rag.

DoFT will say it is the retailer's problem - repair, replace or refund AT YOUR OPTION. The retailer then has to slug it out with the distributor.

one word

"DEFAULT"

Quote Originally Posted by CarpenTERRIFIC View Post
    Apparently 99.99% of drill chucks aren't covered by warrantee.
    Yeah, that's actually not true. As mentioned the Trade Practices Act 1974, and other States legislation provide for "fitness for intended use", "merchantable quality", and various other provisions relating to those terms. It is also an offence for them to state that they don't cover something that actually is or should be covered or that gives you a false or misleading impression of your rights.
    Semtex fixes all

And the drill/chuck is made where???

Hey all thanks for the advice. It really isn't right that a brand new chuck is not covered by warrantee. The hardware that sold it to me wasn't the authorised repairer for DeWalt. The seller was helpful in finding the account reciept then I took it to the local agent, who is now fixing it for no cost. Armed with what you guys have said might come in handy one day.
    It seems highly likely that it was made too brittle during the toughening process.
    They said the chuck is made in Germany (Didn't say anything on the chuck at all though) and you've gotta wonder if they are going to replace it with the same one. Definately hope not! Although it was very nice to use etc ( I was quite impressed with it) it wouldn't be worth it if it breaks again. Hope they get it fixed quickly. Missing it heaps.

Got the drill back this week. Same chuck. Hoping it doesn't do it again. It functions really well, one of the easiest to use. It's good to have it back. The grunt it has is ridiculous.

Pleased to hear it. Let's hope that all is well.

Just in case,

Take a few moments to document all that has happened including who you spoke to , dates and times - unfortunately, necessary should something else go wrong.

Enjoy your drill.

Regards,
    Bob

Yep a good idea Bob. Give it a few months of other dramas and hassles in life and evrything about this chuck will have blurred beyond my memories abillity. If I don't write things down I forget. Thanks.