Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Removing roots from pipes without replacing pipes

I've got some PCV pipe (90mm) that roots have managed to find their way into. A few larger roots through the middle (half a dozen 5mm to 10mm roots) with the rest of the pipe full of fine roots.

What is the best way to remove the roots, without digging up all the pipes and replacing them, as only sections can be easily replaced. I have removed the offending trees so the roots are no longer feeding anything.

What about something like Caustic Soda?

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

chemicals only do half the job in most cases, you can "kill" the roots, but you still have a blockage it takes forever to decompose.....so that leaves two options (without removing pipes), hire a worm machine from your local hire place ( long flexable cable with an attachment on the end designed for clearing pipes, and driven by electric/petrol motor).....or hire a plumber to do it for you......

if you try one yourself you stand a good chance of breaking the pipe,breaking the machine, or getting really frustrated and breaking both ....these machines are not toys and used by someone trained have great success, used by untrained persons can cause more damage than good ...even I would'nt attempt it ........my best advice ......call a plumber and get the job done properly the first time.

Hi - I am surprised that roots have penetrated PVC. Personally, I wouldn't use a machine as I think it would be too harsh for the plastic, which sounds like it has deteriorated and become brittle anyway. Hate to say it, but it sounds like a job for a shovel and a good amount of swearing
    Steve
    Kilmore (Melbourne-ish)
    Australia

....catchy phrase here

Quote Originally Posted by seriph1 View Post
    Hi - I am surprised that roots have penetrated PVC. Personally, I wouldn't use a machine as I think it would be too harsh for the plastic, which sounds like it has deteriorated and become brittle anyway. Hate to say it, but it sounds like a job for a shovel and a good amount of swearing

The PVC is fine, it penitrated because a larger root lifted the pipe which caused a non-glued join to seperate a small amount - in went the roots.

Quote Originally Posted by Williamstown View Post
    I've got some PCV pipe (90mm) that roots have managed to find their way into. A few larger roots through the middle (half a dozen 5mm to 10mm roots) with the rest of the pipe full of fine roots.

What is the best way to remove the roots, without digging up all the pipes and replacing them, as only sections can be easily replaced. I have removed the offending trees so the roots are no longer feeding anything.

What about something like Caustic Soda?
    Providing the pipe is not overly blocked by the roots, you can use Rootox, which will kill the roots & is available at various locations. Basically, it's a copper sulphate pill & is generally administered on a monthly basis to keep roots out of the pipework. The follow-up use of Actizyme will dissolve all the dead roots & keep the pipe free from a build-up of solids.

...and no, I'm not in any way connected to company that makes these products. I've used them before & they are great.

Here is the company weblink.

http://www.southerncrosslaboratories...u/products.asp
    “I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... Such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything.” - Nikola Tesla.

plumber here uses a high pressure water jet
    first, to clear the fine roots a slug with backward facing water jet outlet forces its way through
    secondly, then a cutter that fits on the end of the same water jet to cut the big stuff.
    havent had a problem with it causing damage to the PVC.... (yet?)

Quote Originally Posted by elkangorito View Post
    Providing the pipe is not overly blocked by the roots,
    Thanks. I will email them for more details. The pipe is just about full (or is full) but still allows a little water through, so not sure how it will go.

just thinking about it .... possibly plastic pipes may actually be better for machining then clay .... will be very interested to see how this one works out!
    Steve
    Kilmore (Melbourne-ish)
    Australia

....catchy phrase here

Quote Originally Posted by Williamstown View Post
    Thanks. I will email them for more details. The pipe is just about full (or is full) but still allows a little water through, so not sure how it will go.
    If the pipe is pretty well blocked, I would suggest you do what another poster recommends - get a plumber with a water jet "cutter". I've used this service before for blocked pipes. They normally have a camera attached to the cutter as well, so they can see what they're cutting etc. If the roots are not too thick, this is a very successful way of unblocking pipes.

After it has been unblocked, you can then use the Rootox & Actizyme to keep it clear.
    “I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... Such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything.” - Nikola Tesla.