Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: B.C Rich Build

Default B.C Rich Build

Hey guys, been looking around the forums for long enough and I'm finally starting my own guitar build. I'm making a B.C Rich Beast, not to perfect scale or shape but close. Finally got my template for the body shape sorted out and will start laying it onto MDF tomorrow.

Also will hopefully get out to Lazarides tomorrow and get a nice piece of wood for it. I'm planning on using QLD Maple but am wondering if something else would be better to handle the pointy bits. Hopefully I can get some advice when i buy unless someone here has any advice.

Will keep everyone updated as i go.
    -Chris
    Last edited by ChPLAT; 3rd March 2009 at 11:52 PM. Reason: Spelling

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

You be carefull when you are making that guitar, make sure you wear safety goggles so you don't poke your eye out.

Good luck

Jim

umm have i gone blind, or is there no thread here about a bc rich build?

It was there a minute ago....what happened :|

WEIRD!!!!!

lol what the hell.....

it shows up on the music section main menu when i float my mouse pointer over the thread title.... but its not in here!?!?!?!?!?!?

mods? help please?

I arrived at work ... brewed a coffee ... and decided to check a couple of guitar building sites before getting stuck into the real stuff.

My first build was a bit BC Rich influenced so I was looking forward to seeing what this thread was about.

Nothing ... lol !!!!!!

Let's see if the mystery is resolved.

Quote Originally Posted by dadovfor View Post
    I arrived at work ... brewed a coffee ... and decided to check a couple of guitar building sites before getting stuck into the real stuff.

My first build was a bit BC Rich influenced so I was looking forward to seeing what this thread was about.

Nothing ... lol !!!!!!

Let's see if the mystery is resolved.

exactly....
    i was defenetly not impressed when i found no thread....
    this is one thread that im very interested in, since i like bc rich guitars,
    and the bass im about to build may be along the lines of a warlock/beast inbred mix thingo (maybe, havnt decided yet)

hopefully it gets corrected some time today so i dont go insane .....

oh and good to see you back dadovfor, you dissapeared for a bit

Snap ChPLAT!!!!

The Beast was the main BC Rich model that we started with in mind for our first build. But we mixed it up a bit during the design phase and ended up with the Batocaster.

I used plantation Mahogany from Gilet for the body and an evil-bay neck ... maple and rosewood. The points are not razor sharp ... they are very slightly rounded and they're holding up perfectly.

And Andy B ... I have two networked computers and a laptop ... but I have four kids and a wife. So competition for the internet around here is fierce ... and I generally lose

Quote Originally Posted by ChPLAT View Post
    Hey guys, been looking around the forums for long enough and I'm finally starting my own guitar build. I'm making a B.C Rich Beast, not to perfect scale or shape but close. Finally got my template for the body shape sorted out and will start laying it onto MDF tomorrow.

Also will hopefully get out to Lazarides tomorrow and get a nice piece of wood for it. I'm planning on using QLD Maple but am wondering if something else would be better to handle the pointy bits. Hopefully I can get some advice when i buy unless someone here has any advice.

Will keep everyone updated as i go.
    -Chris

looking good so far

qld maple is alright....
    anything is alright.... could do a mix of qld maple and some other wood....
    up to you and depends what available in your price range

neck thru? or set? or bolt on? (thru sounds good to me lol)

paint?colour? natural? different coloured bevels?

trem? hardtail? tom? what colour hardware?

humbuckers?

hey dadovfor
    you should let it be known who pays the bills, and if you want the net, you will get the net, otherwise no one will
    hahaha

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew_B View Post
    hey dadovfor
    you should let it be known who pays the bills, and if you want the net, you will get the net, otherwise no one will
    hahaha
    Yeah hilarious ... are you trying to get me killed?!?!

You obviously don't have a wife and kids!

Got some wood today after a long drive. A piece of 200 x 50 QLD maple. It's rough cut so I'll have to try and get to uni and use the thicknesser and jointer. But from there should be smooth sailing. I also cut the template out of MDF which just needs a buzz on an oscilating sander.

Probably gunna paint it a dark red colour with black hardware. As it's my first guitar it will be a bolt on neck, don't know i'f i'll make my own or not. Also twin humbuckers will be the go.

Spend some time getting your templates perfect. If you don't, you'll be chasing the imperfections at every stage of the build.

And the template provides a good (and cheaper) opportunity to make sure you are going to be happy with the shape and feel ... before you rip into your real stuff.

Also, have you decided what your doing with the neck? My preference would be to do the neck pocket and fitting first ... and then cutting out the body from that. I find it much easier to line up the body to the exact fitting of the neck ... as opposed to cutting out your body and then trying to align the neck pocket so that you run dead centre.

Neck pocket ... then body ... bridge ... pickups ... cavities ... jack ... then lots of sanding!!!

Good luck ... you're on your way now ... keep us posted

yes keep us posted,

and i agree... spend some time on the template....
    if you do the template perfect you will spend alot less time screwing around with your guitar, sanding and stuff....

personally i like doint the bridge last... but i use hardtails....

if you were using a trem its a lil hard to do the bridge last

centre lines are the key

Don't worry i know i have alot of work, that's only the rough cut. Just found out my lecturers today so i should be aloud to use some uni facilities. I was going to line everything up *pickups, rear cavities, bridge* directly onto the template and cut em out before touching the maple. Otherwise i'll make a smaller template for them later. Also need to get a neck off the net soon.

i forgot about is build lol

hows it doing dude?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast