Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Hi Bill - RayG should have finished the pre grinding by this point, the heat treating is close. It will be late January before heat treating is done and it will be April before the grinding is done. That is all the news I have at this point.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Hi TS, are things still on track to finish grinding in April? And can you indicate what has to occur after the grinding has been finished?

Ray

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

RayG I have been talking in the last two days. He will deliver items to the heat treater within a week. It has taken him longer then expect to get it this far. It will take about a month for the heat treater to do their job. So it looks like we will not make March. I will get back to you when I know more.

RayG has finished the preliminary grinding. Last week the items were delivered to Surface Technology for heat treatment. Only to be told that they no longer offer the salt furnace heat treating service. I am now making calls for another company to take over the heat treatment. I will have something early next week. Heat treatment is fast about three week turn around. Then its back to RayG for clean up and postage.

I spoke to Gary from Hills Heat Treatment this morning. They are happy to take over the job. They charge $16 instead of $12 that Surface Technology charges. Gary says it will take them about a week to heat treat all the items.

At this point we have a cost overrun on the steel and heat treatment. I will chase up a dozen blokes who have not paid yet. As we will be needing the money for the heat treatment asap.

This means that RayG will deliver the pieces to Hills Heat Treatment sometimes soon, and we can get the ball rolling.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppReXyktaZ4"]Heat Treating Bayswater Hills Heat Treatment VIC - YouTube[/ame]

EDIT

PM's have been sent out to those blokes who still over money. If you still need to pay can you do so asap, as we will need to pay the heat treatment asap.

SPARE ITEMS

We have a whole set of pairing chisels and the following plane blades up for grabs from blokes who have dropped of the face of the earth. We will need to find homes if we aim to pay for all expenses related to this batch order. If you are interested in them PM me.

We have the following items still up for grabs:

• 1 Set of Firmer Chisels - 6 mm, 9 mm, 12 mm, 15 mm, 20 mm, 25 mm, 35 mm & 45 mm with sockets and handels. Per Item: $60 Total Cost: - $480 plus $11 postage.

• 1 Set of Paring Chisels - 3 mm, 4.5 mm, 6 mm, 9 mm, 12 mm, 15 mm, 20 mm, 25 mm with sockets and handels. Per Item: $60 Total Cost: - $480 plus $11 postage.

The following plane blades are available:

• 1 @ 40 x 4 x 100 mm @ $45
    • 2 @ 50 x 4 x 100 mm @ $45
    • 1 @ 54 x 4 x 180 mm Spiers Smoother Style Plane Bade @ $45

RayG has told me that the items have been deliver to the hear treater. I will call them in the morning to confirm that everything is proceeding according to plan.

Thumbsucker What are the handles made of on these 2 sets? Gumbungle

The paring chisels will be QLD Maple. The Firmer chisels is not set we were thinking about osago orange. But we will see what we can find that is hard and durable. Spotted Gum is a good choice.

TS put me down for 1x 40mm blade and 1x 50mm blade.
    I'll flick you a pm to confirm
    Those were the droids I was looking for.
    https://autoblastgates.com.au

TS,

Can you please put me down for the other 50mm blade?

Regards,
    Polie

I spoke to Hills Heat Treatment, they are fished with the heat treatment, they have sent me the invoice. I am waiting for a few people to pay up and I can pay Hills Heat Treatment, and RayG can pick up the items.

The owner of the firmer chisels has stepped up and will pay for them. I am not willing to break up sets it makes life to complex and its not worth my time.

The blades are gone, I need to send pm's to those who picked them up.

I have transferred $1287 to RayG. RayG will take this money and pay Hills heat treaters. I will post information when RayG has picked up the items. Hopefully we will also have some photos.

Default Spare Paring Chisel Set

Hi TS,

If the set of Paring Chisels is still left, I'll take it. I sent a PM also... Please let me know...

Thanks,
    Tony.

Hi All,

Check the plane blade thread for an update.

Regards
    Ray

I have been asked for an update on the batch order.

RayG is moving along finishing off the turning chisels at the moment. He says that The Plane blades for wooden planes are being setup ready for the grind. The paring chisels will be done thirdly and then the firmer chisels lastly. The reason for this order is the smallest and simplest jobs are done first the more complex and larger jobs is done later.

RayG has made not at this point started on the paring chisels. In our talks he has been thinking about how he is going to grind the chisels. He bought this expensive surface grinding jig from the USA. That will allow him to grind complex sides bevels even on the very thin chisels. As soon as I know more I will post back.

In the mean time:

• The water jet cutter cut random extras of random items, filling in random space on the sheet. So we may have some extra paring chisels up for grabs. I however do not know what they are at this point.
    • RayG is thinking about how to grind the edges of the pairing chisels. He would love a real life sample to work from. Does anyone have a fine paring chisels he could borrow?
    • We need to find some more wood for the handles. I need to go through what I have and sort it all out. I have a whole slab of Qld Maple. However I feel I will need more.
    • Then we need to cut the wood into handles blanks (????would anyone be willing to help out with this job, I do not have access to machines at the moment????)
    • I would like to get feedback on the handle design. The first batch were a little small for my liking.
    • The handles need to be sent to the turner. The last commercial turner we used did a reasonable job, but he did not sand the handles to any great extent. I am thinking of posting in the turning forum, asking if anyone want to take on the job of turning the handles for us.
    • I have been calculating the short fall that we have due to extra cost of the M2 steel and the water jet cutter. I will send out a PM in the coming week, as everyone involved in the plane blades, firmer, and paring chisels batch order will need to put in about $4 extra per item.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast