Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Arrow What tool for improving ladder safety & to avoid gutter damage?

I've got a Bailey dual purpose ladder (used as extension ladder) and I want to purchase a ladder accessory which helps prevent ladder movement and gutter damage when I'm accessing a rooftop

I've narrowed it down to these two very different products:
    1. Ladder's Little Helper - $44 at Bunnings
    2. Laddermate - $59 at Stratco sale

Which one would you buy and why? Please tell me if there's something better out there for similar amount of money. Thanks.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

I assume you are not just using the ladder it around the home.

If you are going on site I would opt for the Ladermate. Firstly it does not put any pressure on the gutter which the other one, Ladder's Little helper, does. Secondly it does provide a better support zone either on the roof or on the fascia boards.

Since I only use ladders on my own property and hence not fussed about ladder length I just buy a standard A frame ladder that gets me on to the roof and no probs re gutter or stability. So I would not buy either.
    I have a total dislike for any form of extension ladder.

Quote Originally Posted by cultana View Post
    I assume you are not just using the ladder it around the home.

I just buy a standard A frame ladder that gets me on to the roof and no probs re gutter or stability. So I would not buy either.
    I have a total dislike for any form of extension ladder.
    Forgot to mention; I'm using it around my single storey home only. The ladder height is 7ft/2.1m (A frame) or 12ft/3.8m (single ladder). My mistake; technically it's not an extension ladder, it's a single ladder.

I only have this one ladder and I use it indoor and out. My gutter is almost 9ft/2.75m high so I can't access my rooftop when using it as an A frame. If I bought a taller A frame ladder then I can't use it indoors.

Thanks for your input.

Charleville is offline Nocturnal and primeval - I fish at night.

I have had a Laddermate for a couple of years. I use it with a very long Bailey extension aluminium ladder for my own (high set two storey) home maintenance.

I have always been very happy with the stability that it offers and would not consider climbing the ladder against a roof without it.

The downsides are...

(a) it does make the ladder top heavy when you want to move it. This is not a real big deal if you have muscles or if the ladder is not fully extended but you just have to be willing to use a bit more muscle than otherwise if you want to move the ladder some distance whilst it is still extended.

(b) Unless you can place the ladder's feet some distance from the wall, even though you will get perfect safety with the ladder mate against the roof, the ladder may still touch the guttering. This can be a real nuisance if you are cleaning out your gutters by hand as it will compress the gutter-roof gap just where you want to put your hand or gutter cleaning tool.

A better solution would be to get a roof hook attachment for the ladder. I have not seen these in Australia but it would not be too hard to make up something for the Laddermate to have it bear down on the roof with a big space between it at the gutter rather than bear against the roof.

Click for full size - Uploaded with plasq's Skitch

The Laddermate is very good for leaning against a wall. It gives a lot of confidence that the ladder will not slip.

Dear fellow woodies.

All of you have it wrong. Non of these are good solutions. I have the best and it's called a son in law. This laddie nhelp does it all otherwise he gets it from his wife. I am a bit scared of hights and will do nything on ground floor. When it comes to hight get the son in law. They are always trying to impress.
    This is caled "Making a plan"
    With kind regards and may the wood chips fly

Islander

Has anybody tried ladder stand off stabilizer that goes on and off your ladder in 10 seconds is called Ladder - Max ? Check this out!
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h16CkzQ7fIs"]YouTube - Ladder-Max Stand-off Stabilizer[/ame]

Quote Originally Posted by Malperth View Post
    I've got a Bailey dual purpose ladder (used as extension ladder) and I want to purchase a ladder accessory which helps prevent ladder movement and gutter damage when I'm accessing a rooftop

I've narrowed it down to these two very different products:
    1. Ladder's Little Helper - $44 at Bunnings
    2. Laddermate - $59 at Stratco sale

Which one would you buy and why? Please tell me if there's something better out there for similar amount of money. Thanks.

Default Ladder -Max Reveiw

A reveiw on LADDER - MAX Stand Off Stabiliser Now in Australia Ladder safety. Clean gutters Safely Avoid damage to gutters.New ladder safety device to Australia.
    Alway`s feel safe on your ladder .
    Ladder-Max Product Review | Window Cleaning Forum Australia