Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Bob,

Great to hear all things are working. To be honest i wouldn't expect to hear the relays as they are small and that combined witht he noises around my cnc i cannot hear them either. lol. I'm with you on the reverse thing, i doubt i'd ever use it...although my spindle was running in reverse when i first set it up, but that was easily fixed by switching 2 leads of the phases.

Daniel

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Bob,

Sorry, but i didn't read that you based it upon my document.
    I had issues getting the upper and lower limits to read close to the VFD output as well. I've not investigated this issue yet, but it could be due to a number of issues.

Post anything you find which helps tune the upper/lower range. Keep in mind you have 1023 steps to play with to achieve the desired range outputs.

/Michael

The attached PDF file has all the listings for my setup. So does the Word file.
    I tried to just put it all into the body but the browser doesn't like it.

Bob

EDITED

See post 39 for Attachments
    Bob Willson
    The term 'grammar nazi' was invented to make people, who don't know their grammar, feel OK about being uneducated.

Thanks Bob,
    In a month or so I will use this to set up an exact copy of your system (C10 and DC-03) with 1.5kw air cooled spindle and 1.5kw Hyuangang (spelling ??).
    I am glad you and Mike have taken the time to document the connections This sort of information will strengthen the value of this forum.
    Cheers,
    Rod

Bob,
    That settings PDF is great as it will save people having to read through all the dribble i wrote. Just as a side note, i would highly recommend adding a button to your mach 3 screen, like i have, that is pre-programmed to run a spindle warmup sequence for the first time you use the spindle on the day. This frees up the grease and makes the spindle last longer. It doesn't have to be excessive but i do run it and it makes alot of sense. Well worth the effort. It simply just runs the spindle on a low speed for a few minutes, ramps up to a mid-range speed for a few more and finally on high for an extra couple.

Just an idea.
    Daniel

As simple as adding this vb to a button/macro:

CODE "M3" 'start spindle clockwise
    CODE "S6000" 'Set speed 6000 rpm
    CODE "(Spindle Warmup - 6000RPM)" 'Display Message
    CODE "G4 P240" 'dwell 240 seconds
    CODE "S14000" 'Set speed 14000 rpm
    CODE "(Spindle Warmup - 14000RPM)" 'Display Message
    CODE "S20000" 'Set speed 20000 rpm
    CODE "(Spindle Warmup - 20000RPM)" 'Display Message
    CODE "M5" 'stop spindle
    CODE "(Spindle Warmup Complete)" 'Display Message

I hope this is right, don't have a copy of my screen set on laptop to check but it is very close, also the status messages aren't required but i do like them to keep me reminded.

Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by twistedfuse View Post
    As simple as adding this vb to a button/macro:
    Daniel
    That easy eh? How do you add an extra button to the screen?

Bob
    Bob Willson
    The term 'grammar nazi' was invented to make people, who don't know their grammar, feel OK about being uneducated.

Alrighty Bob,

4. Finally the trimpot is the last setting and is used for attenuation of the output voltage. This is basically to reduce the voltage to what the VFD limit is for the scaling voltage. On the Huanyang VFD this is 10v. This will need to be set later using a multimeter.
    Daniel

Hi Daniel

I have so far been unsuccessful in my attempts to trim the voltage to a particular level. At which terminals are you measuring the output? I have twiddled and trimmed like crazy but the results have been less than optimal.

Bob
    Bob Willson

A thought to share.

While looking for a place to mount the DC-03 board I looked at putting it inside the VFD. There is heaps of room inside if the top half of the VFD is removed. It is held on by four screws and a couple of clips at the rear.

My own thoughts were to put it in there, upside down beneath the top circuit board.

The standoffs that Peter Homann sends with the board could be used with some small screws, but a better way would be to get some double ended stand offs and use them. That way, there is no screwing just drilling. It would be a snap.

This would also mean that you could use a bit of ribbon cable to join the DC-03 to the VFD terminals. Much neater all round. The only drawback would be that it is then a little inaccessible. But then again,when it is working properly, why would you want to accessorise it anyway?

Bob
    Bob Willson

Bob,

I guess its not that easy, but compared to some of the other things i've seen i guess its easier. lol. To add a button you need to use screen 4 which is part of mach folder. Then its a matter of opening the screenset you like and using the tools i the program to setup a button. It can be a bit tricky but it is possible. Then add VB code to button. Mach website has some great info on screen designs and also some nice user made screensets to modify.

As for the voltage trim, from memory i think i setup everything, left off the analogue output to the VFD but had the supply and gnd connected and then measured the output when i sent the command of 24000RPM. I then trimmed it to be 10v. This gave me very close to the full 24000RPM display. This is definitely something that needs to be elaborated on int he manual as i do remember having issues too.

As for locating it in the VFD, i did think about that, its a great idea. The only thing i didn't like about it, is for me, i like the ability to be able to quickly troubleshoot if need be, so seeing the LED's flashing and such really helps. Maybe similar idea to yours but mounting it to the out-side of the top cover, this way you can see it and its close but that also then depends on your mounting of the VFD.

Keep it up and it won't be long till you have a fully functional and accurate setup there. Just hope i've been of some help to understand alot of this.

Daniel

After much twiddling and twirling of trimpots, the best speed that I can get is about 21k.

Does this mean that my 5 volt power supply (Adjusted to provide EXACTLY 5v) is not doing its job or what?

I also tried to cheat a bit by adjusting the trimpot speed down to 12K and then telling Mach that I was using a 1 to 0.5 pulley ratio, reasoning that this would then encourage Mach to put out twice the pulses or at least to allow me to speed up the motor to double that of a slower machine. Mach is not so easily fooled.

Bob
    Bob Willson

Bob,

Try sending peter an email for information, maybe i am missing something with the trimpot, but i know its possible. Your 5v wouldn't be the issue as it just runs the 5v logic on board and it wouldn't run at all if underpowered. It definately has something to do with the scaling of the 10v that the VFD is seeing as the VFD is the thing that is displaying the spindle speed. Good news at least is you'll never run the spindle max, same as you wouldn't drive you car at the highest rev as it will lead to quicker breakdown, i think fastest i will ever run the spindle is 22k so 21k isn't far off. Alot of chip loading calculators can be configured so you have same loading but lower RPM and lower feed.

I'm sure its something simple. When you tried cheating, what was the max RPM you got then?

Daniel
    P.S Just thinking about, someone that has the huanyang manual on hand could help, but maybe there is a max speed set in there under one of the PD menu setup.

Success.

I t would appear that if instead of using a zero (0) in PD070 I use a one (1) then this tells the VFD that I am only using a 5 volt control voltage. From here it is a simple matter to adjust the trim pot until the VFD display shows 24000 exactly.

I hope that I have this right as other wise something bad may happen.

Bob

New Word and PDF setup documents attached

EDITED

See post 39 for Attachments
    Bob Willson

Awesome news that it is up and running. There shouldn't be any issues running it as a 5v scaling voltage especially when there is a specific setting for the VFD to do so. Knew it would be something silly, i'm sure its a matter of one of the other settings causing the 10v not to work but doesn't make any difference anyway as you have it running.

Well done and i hope it works well for you.

Daniel

Bob,

A lot of chip loading calculators can be configured so you have same loading but lower RPM and lower feed.

Daniel

Thanks for the congratulations Daniel. My trials and tribulations should make it all a lot easier for the next person in the line.

So what is your PD070 set at then Daniel? Is it at 0 or 1 or 2 or
    Bob Willson

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast