Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 37 12345611 ... LastLast

Default Paring Chisel Batch Order

The idea of Pairing Chisels arose during the Stanley Plane Blade Batch Order 01, and now with the Stanley Plane Blade Order coming to an end. It is time to start the ball rolling on the set of eight Fine Pairing Chisels made from M2 in the following widths: 3 mm, 4.5 mm, 6 mm, 9 mm, 12 mm, 15 mm, 20 mm, and 25 mm.

The chisel blades will come in two length blades, either 150 mm or 250 mm long blades, the thickness will be 3.3 mm, the optional handles are 140 mm long. The look of the chisel are inspired by the Blue Spruce chisels and the dimensions are taken from the Blue Spruce or the Robert Sorby Long Paring Chisels. These chisels are intended only for light pairing work and are not intended to be struck. These chisels will be ideal for pairing the likes of dovetails, furniture joinery, and musical instrument making.

The Pairing Chisel blades will be manufactured out of M2 HSS triple tempered to Rc 62 - 64. The steel will be supplied by Bohler in Melbourne, The chisels will be waterjet cut, then heat treated in a Salt bath furnace by Surface Technology a.k.a. Sutton Tools. Milling and grinding will be undertaken by Alcol Precision Engineering. Each chisel will be supplied with a matching set of brass sockets, and a figured hardwood handle which will be turned on CNC lathes. This means that the chisels will come as a complete package with all necessary component requiring only assembly and sharpening.

Dj's Timber has agreed to do the running around for this order, since he enjoys visiting and seeing 3rd party service providers, I have offered to reimburse Dj with a set of chisels for his time and expense.

Handles

Handles will comes with options with 5, and 6 only.

Since many members either do not have the time, inclination or a lathe to turn their own handles, I have opted to bundle handles manufactured on a CNC lathe, as this will produce better quality, more uniform and consistent handle at a lower price then what could made by any individual. I will be offering the handles in three different figured hardwood species. If you have any preference, make it known and we will have the handles manufactured out of the three most popular species selected by members.

Since these chisels will not be struck and due to the socket design virtually any timber could be used for the handles. I would be opting to procure the most attractive, and figured boards possible. Some possible species include:

Australian:

• Yellow Box
    • Silky Oak
    • Sydney Bluegum
    • Tasmanian Blackwood
    • Myrtle
    • Qld Maple
    • Claret Ash - Via Dj's Timber

Exotics

• Chinese Camphor Laurel - Cinnamomum camphora
    • American Rock Maple - Acer saccharum
    • African Zebrano - Microberlinia brazzavillensis
    • African Padouk - Pterocarpus soyauxii
    • African Bubinga
    • African Wenge
    • African Koto - Pterygota macrocarpa
    • African Danta - Nesogordonia papaverifera
    • Indian Laurel
    • PNG Rosewood - Pterocarpus indicus
    • Makore - Tieghemella heckelii

See Attached PDF's of CAD Drawing of Handles and 3D renderings.

Options and Cost's

Prices have not been finalized, and the figures supplied are based on the quotes given to me, almost six months ago by various 3rd party manufactures, however they should be pretty firm. Members will have a options to which level their chisels are finished to.

Set of Eight Chisel Sizes come in the following widths:

• 3 mm, 4.5 mm, 6 mm, 9 mm, 12 mm, 15 mm, 20 mm, and 25 mm

Chisels Comes in two Blade Lengths:

• 150 mm long Blades comes with Options 1, 3, and 5
    • 250 mm long Blades comes with Options 2, 4, and 6

Brass Sockets/Ferrules are included with Options 3, 4, 5, and 6
    Chisels Handles are included with Options 4 & 5.
    Options 1, and 2, come with no bevels and are NOT ground Flat
    Options 3, and 4 comes with both edges bevels but NO primary bevel, it comes with a brass socket, You will need supply your own Handles
    Options 5, 6 comes with both edge bevels ,the primary bevel, a brass socket, and a wooden handles in a choice of three timbers

OPTION 01: This is 150 mm long Blade Chisel. The chisel is cut out, and heat treated, you will need to do everything else yourself, this option is only viable for those who have access to a full metal shop or at the very least a sturdy linisher. The cost of a Option 01 chisels will be about $17. You will need to supply your own ferrules. This makes the total cost of a Option 01 set is about $136 plus $10 for postage. Difficulty Level: HIGH

OPTION 02: This is 250 mm long Blade Chisel. The chisel is cut out, and heat treated, you will need to do everything else yourself, this option is only viable for those who have access to a full metal shop or at the very least a sturdy linisher. The cost of a Option 02 chisels will be about $19. You will need to supply your own ferrules. This makes the total cost of a Option 02 set is about $152 plus $10 for postage. Difficulty Level: HIGH

OPTION 03: This is 150 mm long Blade Chisel. The chisel comes with both edge bevels, but No primary bevel. Option 04 comes with a brass socket. You will have to supply own handles from your own timber. The cost of a Option 03 chisels will be about $42. This makes the total cost of a Option 03 set is about $336 plus $10 for postage. Difficulty Level: MEDIUM

OPTION 04: This is 250 mm long Blade Chisel. The chisel comes with both edge bevels, but No primary bevel. Option 04 comes with a brass socket. You will have to supply own handles from your own timber. The cost of a Option 04 chisels will be about $45. This makes the total cost of a Option 04 set is about $360 plus $10 for postage. Difficulty Level: MEDIUM

OPTION 05: This is 150 mm long Blade Chisel. The chisel comes with both edge bevels, primary bevel, and brass socket. Option 05 comes with turned wooden handles in a choice of three timbers. This is the most complete option, and your chisels will only need assembly and sharpening. The cost of a Option 05 chisels will be about $56. This makes the total cost of a Option 05 set is about $448 plus $10 for postage. Difficulty Level: LOW

OPTION 06: This is 250 mm long Blade Chisel. The chisel comes with both edge bevels, primary cutting bevel, and brass socket. Option 06 comes with turned wooden handles in a choice of three timbers. This is the most complete option, and your chisels will only need assembly and sharpening. The cost of a Option 06 chisels will be about $58. This makes the total cost of a Option 06 set is about $464 plus $10 for postage. Difficulty Level: LOW

Price Comparison

In regards to price comparison for comparable chisels, a Bluespruce will set you back $100.98 AUD each, (a set of 8 would cost $800 AUD), and a LN will set you back $104 each, (a set of 8 would cost $832), and Harold and Saxon Chisel will set you back $120 each (a set of 8 would cost $960 AUD). A nasty Chinese chisel from much poorer and unknown steel will set you back about $45 each from Bunnings but you do not get the same size range but you get a plastic handle.

The following Members have expressed interest in a set of Chisels

• thumbsucker
    • Kevjed
    • HarryR
    • DJ's Timber
    • Sawdust Maker
    • Brendan1152
    • KevM
    • Ray153
    • gimjam
    • Pops
    • Brent Beach (Canada)
    • Kapex
    • GoGuppy
    • dunnp
    • johnc
    • rat52
    • Toolin Around
    • kman-oz
    • NCArcher
    • Jack E
    • yjnb
    • indy70
    • jmk89
    • Old gunnie
    • funkychicken
    • Bobl
    • Chrystal (ANU)
    • Rhys (ANU)
    • Andrew (ANU)

Post back or PM, to confirm your or alter your order.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Default Paring Chisels

Hi Thumbsucker

Please add me to the list for 150mm length - Option 6 - handle preference - Myrtle.

What a great idea, congratulations for thinking of it and undertaking so much preparation & organisation.

Cheers

Jim

G'day Helmut,

Another journey begins. I would like a set of option 5.

Would the price you've mentioned include any compensation to DJ or yourself? I am asking because I just want to make sure I have the budget for it. I don't expect the price to be fixed but if it goes up 25% or more, I may have to reconsider.

During the last Stanley Blade batch order, I pulled out of the chisel orders because of commitments then. This time round, I don't want to come down to that but if it does, I would rather pull out early so as not to disrupt the orders.

Also, I believe you'll organise a batch order for wooden plane blade in the near future which I have participated.

Hope you understand.

Cheers

GUNN

Like Dynoforce, I needed to choose between the plane blades and chisels the 1st time around, and dropped my chisels. Now that the blades are paid for, I'd be interested in getting back into the chisel order, option 4.
    Last edited by switt775; 3rd July 2009 at 09:39 PM. Reason: .

I've just wandered in here .... maybe I can be permitted a comment on redgum for handles? I use a lot of it for turning tools but it moves. You can have a nicely fitted ferrule in winter that falls off in summer.

Course you could always centre punch it but on this calibre of tool that'd look yuk.

Good luck with the project Helmut. Great idea.
    Cheers, Ern

dynoforce & switt775, I have added you.

Five Thumbs, I assume you mean option 5 not option 6. Since option 5 is the 150 mm while option 6 is the 250 mm blade.

Quote Originally Posted by dynoforce View Post
    Would the price you've mentioned include any compensation to DJ or yourself?
    Dj, gets a free set of chisels, I should get part of my chisels covered. I have added the 3% safety margin. Prices should be fixed. Since I got quotes for everything when we started the Stanley order, so it should be about the same, and if their is slight difference the 3% margin should cover it.

RSSER thanks for the comment on Red Gum, I just pulled out a list of species that I know we can get in Melbourne that would be durable enough for handles.

If anyone can recommend a species that we can get in Melbourne, and that would be good for chisel handles, please post. We will get the most popular ones for handles.

It was either Hans or Stu who was selling repro chisel handles a while ago; they looked like Boxwood but were something else ... cotoneaster? Prob the wrong shape for paring but maybe a chat to the crowd that does them might be profitable.

Oh, and I dunno bout steel and the like Helmut but ww machinery prices have gone up substantially in the last while.

K, I'll shut up now.
    Cheers, Ern

Put me down for an option 5.
    thanks
    TM

Hi Helmut,

I'm interesting in a set of chisels. Are you able to tentatively put me down for a set? Got a couple of questions mate:

- is it postage to anywhere in Aus?
    - I would like to turn my own handles but am not too keen on grinding a primary bevel; is there a way to get option #5 with a primary bevel ground & ferrule, but no handles included? Sorry to be a pain, but I thought I might as well ask! That is, I'm most interested in option #3, but would be great to get the primary bevel done.
    - What is the timing like on this order, mainly for financial reasons. Will have to confirm with the MRS about it and it would depend on timing.

Thanks for organizing this Helmet and sorry to be a pain
    Cheers,

Will

I tend to agree with Ern here on prices regarding steel and labour.

I've seen it jump up 50% in some places and you need to remember that most places when quoting, only guarantee that price for 3mths or less.

We saw this with Ivan when he ground the Plane blades, he said he'd honour the price but would need to put the price up for the next lot if we did another order, and we need to assume that this includes the chisels as well.

Before we take the next step we need to get all the suppliers to confirm if the prices they quoted last year will still be the same or if they'll be 10% or 25% or whatever it be more than originally quoted. I don't think the 3% margin is enough to cover any shortfalls. We found that wasn't the case with the Plane Blades so we shouldn't assume it'll be the case this time around either.

As for the timber handles, I've got some Claret Ash here that has been air drying for about 5 or 6 years and I'll be happy to donate that towards the production of handles for those that want handles as part of the order. Pretty sure I have enough to cover it.
    Cheers

DJ

ADMIN

Steel Prices have collapsed due to the shrinkage in the Chinese economy, combined with the 0.20 cent increase in the Australian dollar in the last six months, means that the cost of steel has gone down.

We will need enough wood for 200 chisels, so we will need a timber in a large consistent quantity.

jackliveshere - postage is anywhere in Australia, via a 3 kg pre paid postage bag, it is the cheapest way to go. You may want to consider postage insurance. it would only be $2 or so more dollars.

jackliveshere - I have given six options, to try to meet everyone needs. If I give people options, I would have ended up with 12 options which would just be a nightmare. But I maybe able to do a one of for you.

jackliveshere - ETA is three months, is that OK for you?

TermiMonster - I have put you down for option 5.

TermiMonster, dynoforce, have you got any preferences for timber handles?

Dj's Thanks for the offer of Claret Ash. Would you be able to get us anything interesting from Bowerbird?

I will confirm prices.

The prices quoted for the Turned Handles, Timber, Steel, and Brass Sockets/Ferrules, were confirmed last week. I will call Ivan at Alco and Rippon for the milling and grinding. So milling and grinding is the only unconfirmed quote.

Helmut, count me out unfortunately. Just had a chat with SWMBO and the upcoming baby is more of a priority financially Maybe next time if there is ever more orders.

Bugger bugger bugger....I know I am going to rue not getting these chisels...
    Cheers,

Will

Helmut

Put me down for Option 4.
    Cheers

Jeremy
    If it were done when 'tis done, then 'twere well it were done quickly

jmk89 - I have put you down for option 4.

Jack, that's no problem, maybe next time.

I have sent an email to Alco and Rippon, will call them on Wednesday to get prices.

Quote Originally Posted by thumbsucker View Post
    TermiMonster, dynoforce, have you got any preferences for timber handles?
    G'day Helmut,

I am happy with any of the timber you've listed.

Cheers

GUNN

Page 1 of 37 12345611 ... LastLast