Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Building an Auk

I think your blocks should be at least 3 times as long, perhaps from one inwale spacer to the next and maybe half again as deep. That should give you plenty of surface to spread the loading. M2CW
    Mike
    "Working to a rigidly defined method of doubt and uncertainty"

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Thanks for the advice Mike. I have a bit of Huon Pine under the bench which is ear market for the job. Just ordered some bronze row locks and brackets from Ross Lillistone so will have to make the "blocks" a bit ornate instead of just a lump of wood, and then of course I will have to match the forward blocks as well, does this re work ever finish
    Ian L

Could not bring myself too chop up any more Huon Pine so stuck a bit hoop pine to the side of boat drilled a hole in it and called it a rowlck block. I will worry about re building the front blocks when they fall off.
    Just for you Coiln some pictures of the "misile guidance sytem". I have changed Iian's design to "flip up tiller" as I think this will make it easer to slide around the boat if I ever get to sailing stage. The big lump of Huon Pine will be wittled down to some thing that should look a bit more ornate.
    Daddles you still about?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Rudder fittings and rowlocks look great and those blocks should handle the power unleashed in the next tender race.
    (Something like the 500 hp talked about going into PAR's boat in the other forum section.)

Did about 10 miles of sea trials over Xmas and Ripples preformed pretty well (even with the dodgy poly tarp sail).
    One issue arising from the trials is that I am to old and fat to reboard after a capsizeIAN RIPPLES 3.jpg.
    Also once righted the dingy is too low in the water to bail out (dagger board case is below water line) so will have to put in about 100lt of flotaion. I am thinking of some sort of blow up air bags (easy removable) lashed under the thwarts would do the job. Any Suggestions would be appreciated. The dingy is going on the back of the ute to the Tawe Nunnugah 2013 raid ( finishes at the AWBF) latter this month and the powers to be may not allow me to go to far from the beach if she "sinks".
    Had a ball sailing around the morrings in Pitwater and the comments and looks were great from all the locals in ther shinny floating plastic gin palaces. I would have done a lot more miles but every time I looked some of my cruising club mates were disapeering over the horizon in my boat. Also had the pleasure of giving one of our members young son his first sailing lesson, look on fathers and sons face was priceless.
    Attached photo of me waiting for wind, should be plenty of good photos Ripples acutaly moving at a pretty good rate to follow

Hi Ian,
    Looking good with neat sail.
    Was in Tassie for christmas and went down to the RAID country for another look. Wind seems to average 20 knots at some time every day in the passage, dead calm at others. Nothing like a bit of variety. Have fun.
    Bouyancy rules!

Colin

Have decided to duct tape half a dozen noodles together and tie them to floor board for a quick fix, idea is to get ripples floating high enough when full of water and me aboard so the centre case is above water line. More sea trials planed for Aus Day weekend. Sail on order from local bloke down Terry Hills way. Colin what is happening with the Phoniex, launched it yet ?
    Ian L

Hi Ian,

Was ready to go when I discovered cracks between the treads on my 9 inch trailer tyres. I'm told that makes them technically unroadworthy and any traffic insurance issue a dodgy prospect. Will have to hunt down new ones later in the week.

Noodles do seem to have hundreds of uses.

Default Floatation option

Quote Originally Posted by wavedancer View Post
    Have decided to duct tape half a dozen noodles together and tie them to floor board for a quick fix, idea is to get ripples floating high enough when full of water and me aboard so the centre case is above water line. More sea trials planed for Aus Day weekend. Sail on order from local bloke down Terry Hills way. Colin what is happening with the Phoniex, launched it yet ?
    Ian L
    Check these inflatable boat rollers out at Whitworths
    https://www.whitworths.com.au/main_i...tAbsolutePage=

I purchased a couple a while back which were Grey they say colours vary in the product description.

Good to see another Oughtred boat on the water.

Paul

Good idea Paul.

By coincidence I have been looking at those boat rollers too.
    For me it's a matter of what to do with a 100kg+ of boat, on my own with just a small 2WD car, when the ebb tide leaves 20 metres of sand at the bottom of the boat ramp.

Your suggestion means they would never be wasted.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345