Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by BobWes View Post
    Great to see RAID41 sailing! She showed some good acceleration in a couple of spots despite the obviously light airs.

Were you using the water ballast?

Bob
    No formal water ballast, but we could hear something and it seemed a bit heavy by 15 or 20 lbs or something. By the way the boat is really nicely built. It is only epoxied at the moment, but Bryan has done such a nice job I thought it was a first or second varnish coat.

Bryan is really cool too ... he and Phyllis used to live in a bus in a marina with their boat just beside. He has done a lot of "boatbum" work (doing small and large jobs to take care of boats - terrible pay but great lifestyle) around the waterfront like me.

Now he designs fibre optic couplings - nice guy and smart like the rest of you!

He is planning to get the boat varnished in the next while - and he was pretty happy to have a nice calm sail in the boat after his Texas200 adventures.

MIK

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Clint, you might be able to see it in HK ... might be interesting to see how far the censorship extends.

You can get plug ins for firefox so you can see both facebook and youtube in China. That is the big joke of course ... it is very ineffective for those who want to do it.

MIK

So Mik. Have you had any thoughts about what, if any, changes you want to make? Does RAID need a lump of lead on the daggerboard? Any thoughts on the righting issue?
    Cheers

Jeremy
    If it were done when 'tis done, then 'twere well it were done quickly

MIK,

Thank you for extended info
    Aloha!
    Robert Hoffman
    http://robhosailor.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by jmk89 View Post
    So Mik. Have you had any thoughts about what, if any, changes you want to make? Does RAID need a lump of lead on the daggerboard? Any thoughts on the righting issue?
    I think the boat might morph into something else further down the line. There are a couple of lines that are suggestive to me.

But for the current two .. particularly Brian in the UK's - it might be a worthy experiment to see what happens if weight is put on the bottom of (a stronger) centreboard. I will have to have a look at how much would be required - I think it will be less than quoted for the other boats mentioned above.

Bryan had approx double the water ballast specified and the boat would just about self right at that point. Maybe if it has lead to give the same righting moment as that, or a bit more it would tame things. We do know now the boat is a super weight carrier - sails well with two aboard - which is something we did not know before.

So ballast will be somewhat less than that.

Michael

I've noticed since his arrival in the warmth and sunshine of Florida, there hasn't been much by way of pictures. Lounging around in 85 degree water or on the beach, watching scantly clad youngsters prance around is hard work I guess. We have it tough here in Florida.

Quote Originally Posted by PAR View Post
    I've noticed since his arrival in the warmth and sunshine of Florida, there hasn't been much be way of pictures. Lounging around in 85 degree water or on the beach, watching scantly clad youngsters prance around is hard work I guess. We have it tough here in Florida.
    You both have my sincerest condolences Meantime, I'm trying to get a sufficient break in the rain to mow the lawn for a the final time... and to help a friend get his boat tarped for the winter. On the bright side... at least I won't be perpetually distracted by bikinis
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/

I sure like the rig! Someone remind me how the tiller worked in way of the mizzen mast? The mizzen is very nice. I'd like to see it in a yawl rigged GIS. And I like how to sheets to the top of the transom.

Cheers,
    Clint

OK ... I spent all yesterday getting pics up ... only on flickr but I have annotated most of the interesting ones ... there is more to add on my blog, but I can't seem to get enough hours in a day.

So forgive me and look at my flickr site.
    Weird Museums and Close encounters
    USA Day 21 - Weird Museums and close encounters - a set on Flickr

Roswell to Texas
    USA Day 22 - Roswell to Texas - big country - a set on Flickr

Down Home with Chuck and Sandra - Harper TX and his dad's old workshop
    USA Day 23 to 26- Down Home with Chuck and Sandra - and Chuck's Dad's workshop - a set on Flickr

Duckworks, stuff and a tour of Chuck's Caprice
    USA Day 27 to 31 - Duckworks, the Caprice and hangin' round Harper - a set on Flickr

The Alamo and catching up with John Wright to drive to Georgia
    USA Day 32 - The Alamo and meeting up with John Wright - departing for the PDRacers - a set on Flickr

Driving to Georgia across three states to the PDRacer intergalactics
    USA Day 32 and 33 - Driving to the PDRacer worlds across three states with a breakdown - a set on Flickr

PDRacer intergalactics
    USA Day 34 to 36 - PDRacer Intergalactics - a set on Flickr

Driving back to Texas
    USA day 37 and 38 - driving back to Texas - a set on Flickr

I don't know how long those images will last ... Flickr doesn't allow them to be embedded in this way any more.

Sorry about the delay.
    MIK

Hi Mik,
    Quick question how did the duck go with the oval sail......

It went a lot better the day after the racing. The point was to get reasonalbe efficiency with the absolute minimum weight. The oar for steering was because the rudder broke.

During the race it had a bit of form upwind at times - once or twice briefly, but was sailing much better Sunday. He added another "boom" going upwards to control twist a bit more.

It was pretty gorgeous looking on the water.

John Wright is one of the guys who did the Texas 200 both times.

I was really impressed that he sailed such an experimental sail in a real race. Or three real races.

You see lots of people talk about their really great "experimental rig" but they NEVER sail in a real race.

MIK

Quote Originally Posted by Boatmik View Post
    It went a lot better the day after the racing. The point was to get reasonalbe efficiency with the absolute minimum weight. The oar for steering was because the rudder broke.

During the race it had a bit of form upwind at times - once or twice briefly, but was sailing much better Sunday. He added another "boom" going upwards to control twist a bit more.

It was pretty gorgeous looking on the water.

John Wright is one of the guys who did the Texas 200 both times.

I was really impressed that he sailed such an experimental sail in a real race. Or three real races.

You see lots of people talk about their really great "experimental rig" but they NEVER sail in a real race.

MIK

As they say in the classics "real cool man"

Fantastic travelogue and pictures, MIK. I looked at every one.

The Riverwalk in San Antonio is really cool. We had a sales conference there a few years ago and stayed in a hotel right on the river. My one and only time in that town.
    The "Cosmos Mariner,"My Goat Island Skiff
    http://s176.photobucket.com/albums/w168/MiddleAgesMan/

Starting the Simmons Sea Skiff 18
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/37973275@N03/

So any continued thought of coming to New England, Mik....? I looked but haven't found anything about it.

Howdy .. am just stopped on the platform at New Haven this very second.

Tonight I am at Mystic. And will visit Mystic Seaport tomorrow (27th)). Stay in Mystic on Wednesday night too. Then off to Boston (a couple of hours going between stations to contnue up to "the other: Portland - capital of Maine.

Doing a talk there at Clint;s (compassproject's) workshop.

Then back down to Boston to fly out on the 4th.

So tomorrow is the best small craft museum in the world (Mystic Seaport) after one of the best art museums in the world yesterday (MoMA).

Am almost up to date with pics too. Wish I could remember the names of things for more than 17 1/2 seconds though!