Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 491011121314

Did we send him back with a funny accent???

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Well he still writes yawl not yu'all

I amused Chuck and Sandra every time I put on a fake american accent. They would fall on the floor holding their sides.

MIK

Wandering Wombat, eh? Well, I guess tht's fitting. Hope you're approaching full recovery from all the travel.

I haven't had time to get into your fotos of the East Coast leg of your trip. Am really looking forward to it, though! I keep getting stuck reviewing the time you spent here in Oregon. What a treat it was to have you aboard.

I was disappointed you didn't detour back thru Portland on your way home. I thought if getting your missing gear back didn't entice you, then maybe a quick rendezvous at the New Seasons Market with Lady L might do the trick. Ah well... we'll just have to wait till your next perambulation.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Boatmik View Post
    Well a mind-boggling day today.
    Set is here USA Day 11 - P'land to Astoria Maritime Museum - a set on Flickr

Some of the "Coots" boating group organised a joint trip for four of us to Astoria (named after the Astor Family who made their money in the fur industry a couple of hundred years ago.

We got up early and went to meet Long 龍 at his house and climbed into his car. He has a fascination about Australian Cockatoos, the "bad boys" of the bird world so we swapped stories about them along the way. We were also joined by Jim who was buying a Bolger light Dory along the way.

He bought it off Craig's List. He only had to buy the oars - the boat came for free. He has 10 boats gathered in this way and usually onsells them to someone that likes them at quite small prices.

The logging operations are just mind boggling. Acres and Acres of logs waiting for processing or export. Their woodchips come as byproducts, not from destroying whole forests like in Australia.

The comment from David Graybeal (who worked in the industry as a kid - his parents had a ply mill and he worked along the banks of the river attaching cables to logs being pulled into the river) was that the logs are really small these days.

Once in Astoria we went to a really nice bakery. The lady in the shop when she realised I was from Australia gave me more cakes and buns than I could eat at the time. Really nice too. Particularly the Cardamom buns.

She was very proud it was a "BAKERY and not a FAKERY" - meaning not like some of the franchised breadshops in OZ.

Up the road is the museum. Long is in the lead with David following. There were two cruise ships in town and the museum was full of Japanese and Korean Tourists.

Astoria is at the opening to one of the most dangerous river ports in the world. There are dozens of wrecks scattered around the opening of the port. Each of these boat shapes is a wreck.

Here is the info about number 3.

So the entry to the Columbia River is hugely dangerous as well as being the border between Washington State and Oregon.

Now the really cool thing happened. Long had organised for us to see the storage sheds across the road.

I really, really recommend that you have a look at the full flickr set above if you are interested in boats .. I have commented the photos so you can see what they are about.

I still have not worked out how to get audio up on the net.

Fishing boat

Local Racing Yacht class.

One of several duck hunting boats. They are low to the water so the ducks can't see them.

A Calkins designed Bartender - a type used for rescue.
    I noticed the Bartender in the photo...one of my favorite power boats of all time. My uncle built a 22' er in the mid 70's for commercial salmon fishing. Sadly, he only fished it one season before he passed on from a heart attack in his mid 40's. As originally built, it was outfitted with a 40 hp Perkins so as to be economical to operate. His sons recently hauled it up to Port Townsend for a complete restoration. The hull is in excellent condition, as my uncle was a master craftsman and the boat has been well cared for since. It is being re-engined with a 180 hp Yanmar and all modern electronics. The work should be complete this spring. Really looking forward to seeing it back on the water...it's a beautiful boat. My uncle was a pretty salty guy who knew boats and the sea...both of his sons each have outboard skiffs that he drew up on his kitchen table and built back in the late 50's. Next time I'm over in the Sacramento area I'll get some good pics and post them here, they are really sweet boats.

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 491011121314