Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Boatmik View Post
    One of his tenants who lives in a little house on the land though that my accent would catch all the girls easily ... I said I had not tried so far.

In the afternoon David and I grabbed some pizza and a drink ($3.50 deal) and then went to get bits ready for my talk.

Good thing is my hay fever is getting better - I might have a voice tomorrow night!!!

MIK
    So are we to assume that the hayfever means that you now have a deep gravelly voice with an Aussie accent (sort of a cross between Telly Savalis and Paul Hogan)?

While it still lasts, you go out and get a girl - I don't see why we should suffer while you do not!!! Except of course that a man with a girl would not be free to design boats and help numbskulls like me build them........
    when I work up the courage to buy the timber and sneek it past the Leader of the Opposition....

PS sorry for the hijack, but I was just feeling a bit oppressed....or jealous of a man with the freedom to b*gger off the the USA and do boats....
    Cheers

Jeremy
    If it were done when 'tis done, then 'twere well it were done quickly

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Howdy Jeremy,

I know what you are talking about ... I've spent years wanting to do stuff like this, but never having an opportunity while my friends headed off to India, Europe etc while I was stuck with boat jobs with poor pay or periods of extreme busyness just to survive.

That's kinda part of the reason I am trying to do these posts each time, take lots of pics so as much as possible you can see what I see and I can try to catch the most important bits. I am trying to get it all here in some way or another.

Today I did buy an MP3 recorder and have started playing a bit with my camera's record facility in the last few days. I know the value of posting pics of what I see (in OZ too) because I have spent a lot of time trying to find out what such and such a boat looks like or how it really goes. I will see if I can do something useful with the recorder and video over the weekend and the trip to the maritime museum.

Good fun to try and make something meaningful out of it.

Hope you are enjoying what I am putting up. I really want to improve the quality of content and bring more of the experience out.

Having an article is nice. Having some pics makes it better. A recorded conversation with someone is better than that and a video is best of all.

In a few years it will be easier to do what I am aiming at ... but it is fun to play with the pointy end.

MIK

Just a quick update. Mik's first talk - hosted by Harbor Woodworks, in Portland, Oregon, last night - went off quite well. A small, but knowledgeable, talkative, and inquisitive crowd. We started at 6:30 and were still going strong at 9:30. We might be there still, if I hadn't pulled the plug. Mik's new recorder seemed to work well, and at some point - I'm guessing after the whole trip is done - he'll post this recording (and possibly others) at his website for all to access.

Cheers,
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/

Howdy, I won't be putting the talk up straight away .... otherwise I will have nothing new to say for the rest of the trip!!!!

I will put some conversations up once I sort out the recording and posting aspects.

One of the people at my talk was John Kohnen who is one of the founding fathers of a boating presence on the net with his Mother of all Maritime Links which must be the highest rating boating site on the internet.

http://www.boat-links.com/boatlink.html

He is coming up to Timothy Lake up in the mountains which is where I will be heading tomorrow morning.

Will be back with lots of pics and probably some interviews too!

MIK

Quote Originally Posted by Boatmik View Post

He worked on the FFG frigate project when it built some warships for Australia. He provided the trivia that the beer lockers on the Australian ships were 3 times bigger than on the same ships being built for America.

Given that USN ships are supposed to be "dry", 3 times nothing = ?

keep the pics & stories coming MIK
    enjoying & appreciating both.
    cheers
    AJ

Finally got a ride in a Core Sound 20, Michael?

Quote Originally Posted by PAR View Post
    Finally got a ride in a Core Sound 20, Michael?
    PAR,
    (1) is that q/a addressed to MIK?
    (2) what core sound 20 is that? (owner/builder/hull#)

No, I'm reasonably confidant it was Joe Nelson's CS, # 35. I have feelers out everywhere . . .

Paul - You are correct, as usual. Mik got to sail on the CS20, and he got to race the GIS against her. I was with Joe on the CS, and we could almost keep up with Mik.Impressive sailing by young Mr. Storer, I must say.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/

Default Bob Wes' Excursion to Timothy Lake

Wednesday, September 16: I picked up the rental car without any real issues. There were no compact cars available so they upgraded me to a Ford Fusion. I ran a bunch of last minute errands, grabbed some stuff out of storage and took it all home to pack.

Thursday, September 17: Out the door by 0600 for fuel and coffee. On the road by 0630. The 545-mile trip broke into five segments: Sacramento to Redding, Redding to Weed, Weed to Klamath Falls, Klamath Falls to Bend, and Bend to Timothy Lake. Each of those segments has distinct landscape and scenery and the entire trip was visually impressive. Some segments had several different “looks” to them but the transitions from high desert to piney forests certainly tied those together. Since I didn't remember everything I needed on Wednesday, I needed to stop a couple of times during the drive to pick up what I was sure I needed. I arrived at the lake shortly after 1600, and was greeted by one of the COOTS – Casey, aka Dirt Sailor, and his 8 year old son, Blake.

I set up camp and then prepared and cooked a meat loaf in the Dutch oven. It took longer to cook than I expected, but tasted fine later that evening. One of the key discoveries of the weekend for me was parchment paper liners for the Dutch oven. They really made clean up much, much easier.

Thorne arrived well before dark, launched his boat – a Chamberlin Dory Skiff.

Once the boat was launched he set up camp. Thorne camps in style.

Another of the COOTS, David – aka Babbles – arrived with his 14' Dutch designed Flying Tern.

Friday, September 18: The lake was mirror-glass smooth as the sun came up but a wind soon filled in and Thorne and I took his skiff out for a sail. We were seriously overpowered sailing across the lake under full sail, but Thorne found a sheltered spot for us to reef the main and swap out the normal jib for a smaller one. The boat was better balanced during the ride back to camp.

More people and boats arrived. Joe with his Core Sound 20

Dan with his 21' power boat in a functional mode but really less than half complete.

David Graybeal and Michael Storer arrived with David's Goat Island Skiff and his PDRacer.

It soon became difficult to keep up with the new arrivals.

Michael Storer had an audience as he rigged the GIS.

Watching and listening to him was very instructional. This weekend will certainly help me as I build my Goat and get it ready to sail.

Here's Mik sailing David's Goat on Friday afternoon... light winds... Mt. Hood in the background.

Default BobWes' Excursion to Timothy Lake - continued

Saturday, September 19: Clouds in the morning promised the rain that had been forecast for the day. While it did rain on Saturday, it did not rain hard enough or long enough to drive anyone inside.

Michael sailed the Goat a lot and took folks for rides. Despite the rain Saturday was turning into a very good day. Lots of looking at boats. Lots of talk about this detail or that detail. Lots of sharing of information.

Michael had the opportunity to sail the Goat side by side with Joe's Core Sound 20. The consensus was that the Goat is faster in lighter conditions, but in heavier air the CS20 is faster. However, a lot of boat speed and performance comes from how well the skipper performs. Michael told me later that he seemed to be reading the wind, reacting to the gusts, and taking advantage of what the wind was doing a little better than Joe did that day. So, in the hands of identically experienced skippers, the CS20 is faster in some conditions but not in all conditions. Put another way, the GIS is faster than a CS20 in some conditions.

Jerry – David Graybeal's Goat building partner – decided to take Morgan, the wonder dog, for a sail. Jerry rowed the GIS out away from the shore and went forward to raise the sail. As Jerry went left, Morgan moved to the same side and – in slow motion – the Goat capsized! Several folks on shore watched it happen. Some of them caught the capsize with their cameras. But nearly as soon as Jerry hit the water, Dan and Greg were under way with their power boats to assist.

It all turned out to be fine with possibly Jerry's pride being the only injury of the day. With the goat on the beach, Michael and David set about bailing it out.

Michael re-stepped the mast and re-rigged the boat for sailing. He and I took off for a sail.

The Goat is sensitive to crew weight and movement but through a running commentary Michael gave me a short course in sailing the Goat. I had my GPS with me and at one point on a broad reach we hit 7.7 mph (8.85 knots!). Shortly after that I heard Michael declare, “I've lost steering, the pintles broke.” Then after a short pause, “And the oars are on the beach.” We got the sail down and the boat turned toward camp. We had a favorable wind and were making slow progress in the right direction. But, Joe was out in his Core Sound 20. They passed us a tow line and sailed us back to the beach. So there were two “rescues” that afternoon, and both involved the GIS. The verdict on the pintles was that had they been through bolted instead of installed with wood screws they would not have failed.

By Saturday afternoon there was an impressive collection of boats on the beach or on the water for the messabout, including the following:

A Yankee Dory
    Chamberlain Dory Skiff
    Blue Canoe (small lapstrake canoe)
    Flying Tern
    Goat Island Skiff
    Core Sound 20
    A Michalak A4
    4 PDRacers
    John's “Pickle” (can't remember the design)
    Gregg's power boat (can't recall the design)
    Dan's power boat (can't recall the design)
    Dan's craigslist row boat

Saturday's dinner was a crawdad boil using the catch from the “home-made crawdad pot competition.” Crawdads, sausages, corn, and potatoes were combined in a large pot and cooked with a mix of spices. When it was done, the whole thing was poured out on the table for a serve yourself buffet feast. The Dutch oven apple dump cake I had made earlier in the day was dessert.

More campfire conversations about boats and boat building finished off a fun day.

Sunday, September 20: I was up early – probably because it was get-away day and I knew I had a lot to do. One thing I did was to bake another dump cake. Somehow David G and Michael did not get any dessert the night before. Dan watched me put the cake together. As a former pastry chef he was impressed by two things. One, how the cake goes together – just dumped into the Dutch oven without mixing. Two, he was impressed with the Dutch oven cooking process. While the cake was baking I began to break camp and load the car. I walked the cake over to David and Michael's campsite and served them a sampling. They were delighted with it and had seconds. I stayed and chatted. After a bit, John Kohnen pulled up a chair and joined in the conversation.

As I was saying my good-byes, I was invited to return next year – a sure sign of acceptance to me! I was also invited to come the the COOTS' Depoe Bay event in April. I will have to look into that and mark the calendar.

The return drive was long but uneventful. However, seeing the scenery from the opposite direction was fun. I was completely unprepared for the approach to Warm Springs on Thursday. It was stunning. But on Sunday, even knowing it was there, it was just as stunning because it looks different from the opposite direction. Next year I'll stop for pictures!

South Oz, the big smokey bit in the middle

Who's this 'Michael' character ... and why didn't Mik get a mention (he's in the photos)

What have you done to Mik's floppy hat? It doesn't look right him wearing a beanie

Now, this 'dump' cake - you just bung in all the ingredients at random and the cake fairies do the mixing in the old camp oven eh?

Richard

Well, I am back ... and will get this big post sorted before getting on and checking the other threads.

MIK

Well, I'm not sure when the transition took place... my guess is that he was introduced as Michael Storer at the beginning of his presentation last Wednesday in Portland. Mik answered to Michael all weekend so, you know, if it ani't broke don't fix it. There's plenty of time for him to tell the rest of the country he prefers Mik...

The makings of the dump cake do indeed just get dumped into the Dutch oven - but there is a bit of order to it. Dice an apple or two into the bottom of the oven. Pour a jar of applesauce over the diced apple. Pour a box of yellow cake mix over the applesauce; spread the cake mix out evenly if you want but don't stir the ingredients. Cut a stick of margerine into little pats - maybe 10 or 12 - and lay those on top of the cake mix. Cover, place coals under the oven (or place the oven in a bed of coals) and on top. To help the cake fairies, turn the oven a quarter turn and the lid a quarter turn in the opposite direction every 15 minutes to minimize the effects of hot spots. Check on the cake after 30 minutes - less if you use a lot of coals for more heat.

This was a great weekend. Watching Mik rig and sail the Goat was a treat and all of that will help me with my Goat.

Bob

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast