Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

MIK,
    Have a great trip - would you be interested in doing a talk in my neck of the woods,
    if time permits? (I know where to get some vegemite )

I am planning to attend your talk at Clint's in Portland (the East Coast one )
    regardless.

Again, enjoy.

Peter

p.s. Make sure you look the right way when crossing the street ...

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Howdy Peter,

I already design flat boats... I don't need to be flat myself.

Can you ask again by email on Monday? I need to sit down and organise the last 3 weeks that have gone a bit "feral" (wild/out of control) but won't get a chance until I get some sit down time at David Graybeal's.

Waiting for my SF flight in the Sydney Terminal now. I am used to the cars coming from the wrong way from Taiwan. But it takes some getting used to still.

At least in the USA if anyone yells at me I will understand what they are saying.

"Look out old overseas person, I am coming through, use your eyes" (I did understand enough Mandarin to get that one, but don't know why another guy was mentioning dogs)

MIK

South Oz, the big smokey bit in the middle

Heard a news flash about some bloke being dumped in Sydney Airport after climbing aboard a flight to America and demanding to know where the Emergency Puddle Duck was

Richard

So... he's off. But I guess we all knew that already

What I meant to say is - The Adventure Begins

Looking forward to our rendezvous at the train station. Have a good flight, a safe trip, and don't get waylaid by any of the lively sheilas you'll inevitably attract along the way with your charming accent and buddha-like demeanor!
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/

Plane ended up being a couple of hours late leaving sydney.

All pics are here.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/boatmik...7622210422731/

But fine flight otherwise. I am a happy Sinophile as my hotel is exactly beside the Chinatown gate. That is it on the right.

On the plane there was a mechandising magazine. Had everything from shoes with 2" long spikes so you can aerate the lawn (presumably without crossing any concrete - imagine doing a whole quarter acre block - geez you would be fit) right through to a fibreglass statue of liberty that you can put cover your water meter with.

Oh, did i mention the device to prevent your dog from scratching the door ... YES a doggie doorbell available in bright colours for you colourblind dog. I guess all these whacky ideas won't work in OZ because our market is not big enough.

Liked these in a Chinatown window. I wake with a little alarm each morning.

SF makes a specialty of classy bicycles, very impressed with the quality, and older people using skateboards and ...

Saw the famous bridge.

And walked back through Chinatown where you can buy the set on the right. Matching Mother, Daughter and Tablecloths.

I am a little addicted to Martial Arts films, so assume the husband can fight of the local triads while mother and daughter can disguise themselves by lying on the tables.

Tomorrow catchin up with Oly from the PDRacer US forum who is a lovely chap. We will be meeting at the SF Maritime Museum.

MIK

You do realise that if you come back with an American accent we're going to force you to design a LAPSTRAKE boat

Richard

San Francisco is a cool town. It's fairly colorful, diverse and liberal politically, with a well known swing towards the gay side of life.

Get down to the water front, say up at North Beach and have a look around. There should be a few AC boats lounging around. If you brought your check book, Alcatraz Island is for sale.

Welcome to the States!

San Francisco is a wonderful place with almost too many choices available to you!

You'll enjoy the Maritime Museum, Aquatic Park, and the Hyde Street Pier. If you get the chance the Marina district is a fun place to spend a few hours.

That pic of the Bay Bridge reflected in the doors is pretty cool.

I'm pretty sure Alcatraz is a National Park and not for sale but if you're in the market for an island in San Francisco Bay, Red Rock is on the market. http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...n104750D63.DTL It has been available for a couple of years - wonder why it hasn't sold?

Enjoy the City by the Bay!

Bob

Default Day 2, Maritime Museum, Alma, 2 goats, steep streets and a lucky fortune cookie

Walked through Chinatown again to go to the Maritime Museum with Oly an internet boatbuilding Friend.

Saw two of my boats there that were built by kids from the less advantaged part of the city. Spoke to Seth (right, Oly is left) one of the teachers/organisers.

He was about to go out on the Alma a famous Scow Schooner cargo boat and several other old boats.

Lots of seals enjoy the wharves here.

Feluccas like this were used by Italian Fishermen before engines were common.

Then we drove through Some of the steep streets of san francisco before going via the Golden Gate bridge to Sausilito.

We saw a sign to a research institute that has a huge model of San Francisco bay.

Finally Oly dropped me back in Chinatown.

I had lunch of Pot-stickers (fried dumplings or Japanese Gyoza) which were delicious. Still second best to Mrs Chen's in Adelaide, but very tasty still. I got a lucky fortune cookie.

Tomorrow I go boating and then catch the train to Portland in Oregon (overnight trip), where I will give a talk on Wednesday.

The full set of pics is here - http://tinyurl.com/nlrqf7

MIK

Alma looks like a thumping great big PDR

With all those photos Mik are you there as a tourist or a spy?

Richard

San Francisco is a magical city. Thanks for those images.

Wish I could join you and Thorne tomorrow, but it is not to be. Enjoy the day, have a safe trip north. See you on Thursday.

Bob

Tip for those unfamiliar with Flickr (as I was) - if you click on 'info' when viewing the slideshow, you get Mik's comments, and they are well worth reading. I was halfway through when I discovered this so started again All I need to do now is work out how to stop the slideshow so I can read the comments

Love those old paddle boats Mik. What is it about paddlewheels that attracts? The connection with the River Murray river boats?

Richard

Or instead of asking for a slideshow click on the first image and you can see the image and comments at the same time.

MIK

Richard,

I use flickr - and didn't know about the "info" you tipped us to. Thanks!

Tomorrow, Mik is going to the Petaluma Rvier Heritage Fair with David, aka Thorne on WBF. Thorne is quite active with his Chamberlin dory skiff and cosine wherry, and will be attending the Timothy Lake messabout in Oregon next weekend.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Boatmik View Post
    Or instead of asking for a slideshow click on the first image and you can see the image and comments at the same time.

MIK
    Yeah, but how do you get to the next photo?

Keep them coming please Mik. You have a gift for chosing photos that create a real sense of the place that I'm finding beguiling.

Richard
    why can't everywhere be exactly the same on this darned internet thingamajig

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast