Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314 LastLast

Yap ... I am meeting up with him on Sunday. Wonder if it will be a good sailing day.

MIK

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Boatmik View Post
    Yap ... I am meeting up with him on Sunday. Wonder if it will be a good sailing day.

MIK
    Did it happen?
    Cheers

Jeremy
    If it were done when 'tis done, then 'twere well it were done quickly

Quote Originally Posted by jmk89 View Post
    Did it happen?

The boat dumped Mik overboard, leaving him swimming while the boat is at present on a course for South Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Rick_Tatum View Post
    The boat dumped Mik overboard, leaving him swimming while the boat is at present on a course for South Australia

First Phar lap and now Mik. That's the last time we send you Yanks one of our national treasures
    Cheers

Jeremy
    If it were done when 'tis done, then 'twere well it were done quickly

They don't want to keep me or nobble me (so far) - you guys are in such a rush - it is only Monday Morning and I uploaded the video last night.

Am in Dallas Airport now waiting for a flight to Florida.

So Brian's boat is pretty cool but he hasn't had much of a chance to sail it since the Texas 200. It looks pretty high sided on the trailer.

BUT ... we went for a sail yesterday on a lake near the city. Surrounded by a big park with lots of cyclists and walkers. A group of Chinese students having a BBQ had a couple of members who were very interested to see us rigging up beside the lake. One kept coming over and asking questions so my crappy Mandarin got a bit of a workout.

Anyway we headed off two up. Bryan steering and me crewing. Wind was about 6 to 12 knots with a couple of shortlived gusts coming through maybe just under 15.

Boat pointed well and in the low chop had no problems knifing through wakes from some of the other boats. It is noisy the forward compartment acting like a drum but bottom is stiff and progress unimpeded. Tacking is "stately". There is no doubt she will, but doesn't flick round like a sloop.

Bryan was steering and I was handling the mainsheet. I was really enjoying the bank of Brian Pearson style rigging adjustments all lead back to the front of the cockpit. Downhaul, outhaul, kicker/vang. See the thread "Lug rig heaven" on this forum.

At one stage a bit of a gust came down the lake so we went onto a beam reach and I eased the outhaul to put a lot more fullness in the mainsail (you can go up to 1:7 on a reach when the flow is attached) and with the wind increase the boat jumped up on the plane doing the same cush cush sound that BETH makes at the front as the foam gets spat out the sides.

Some Flying Scots came over for a closer look and waved.

Running, the boat goes faster and faster without much sense of "planing" but it is truly above hull speed.

After a couple of hours gallivanting we started to go in and Bryan suggested I go for a short single hand. I said ... yeah.

So dropped him off on the wharf and he went back to the car to get my camera and I sailed around for a bit while he took photos ... I made one reach across the lake and back and in about 7 to 9 knots the boat was planing happily and a couple of gusts made her really pick up pace. I tacked and headed back. About half centreboard down reaching and running - all down when working.

By this time Bryan had identified the video function ... so there is about 3 minutes of me spinning and sailing in the moorings. There wasn't really enough wind to make the boat difficult to sail, so it wasn't really a test of that side of things at all. But those sides are pretty tall.

So here it is ...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6aBw_-kmuc]YouTube - RAID41 home made wooden boat by Michael Storer[/ame]

MIK

Don't forget to visit the site and rate the video.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6aBw_-kmuc"]YouTube - RAID41 home made wooden boat by Michael Storer[/ame]

MIK

WOW!!!

Thank you!

I like it! I have a question - is she really twitchy more than your BETH or GIS?
    Aloha!
    Robert Hoffman
    http://robhosailor.blogspot.com/

Hello,

I second Robert's question...

Best regards, Joost

Great to see RAID41 sailing! She showed some good acceleration in a couple of spots despite the obviously light airs.

Were you using the water ballast?

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by BobWes View Post
    Great to see RAID41 sailing! She showed some good acceleration in a couple of spots despite the obviously light airs.

Were you using the water ballast?

Bob
    Yes, good to see her in action!
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/

Show off!

She looked good out there, I didn't get the impression the sides were too high.
    The "Cosmos Mariner,"My Goat Island Skiff
    http://s176.photobucket.com/albums/w168/MiddleAgesMan/

Starting the Simmons Sea Skiff 18
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/37973275@N03/

She showed some good acceleration in a couple of spots despite the obviously light airs.
    She accelerating as a rocket

I didn't get the impression the sides were too high.
    For me too
    Aloha!
    Robert Hoffman

Here in China the people cannot see Youtube....it is blocked by the government! So is Facebook.

I'll see the video when I am back in sweet America! We leave for HK tomorrow!

Clint

Quote Originally Posted by Compass Project View Post
    Here in China the people cannot see Youtube....it is blocked by the government! So is Facebook.
    Clint,
    Sorry for it...
    If anybody likes that awful system ...tell him about it...

This clip is very fine! The Raid41 is light and fast in light air and really fine accelerating in light breeze
    Aloha!
    Robert Hoffman

Quote Originally Posted by robhosailor View Post
    WOW!!!

Thank you!

I like it! I have a question - is she really twitchy more than your BETH or GIS?
    There was not a lot of wind. But with two aboard she was very comfortable to sail, even in the gusts.

With one aboard she felt quite stable as long as she was heeling to leeward or on the level I don't think she heeled much to windward during my solo sail which was just at the end of the day. I had about half centreboard down most of the time when reaching and running and in that video I had it down all the way because I was too busy just steering and trimming the sails.

I think that there is a bit of water somewhere in Bryans boat. It seemed to weigh around 135 to 150 lbs and you can hear some moving around. So that might have helped keep it more stable than Brian has experienced. Also was a light wind and very smooth water - which always helps.

It was way more fun sailing with two crew than I had imagined ... much better than Beth for that. You can sail that way with BETH but the performance reduces - but the RAID has pretty much the same performance - though it doesn't stop planing on a reach when there is only one aboard and a little more wind than in the clip

MIK