Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Thread: Skip sizes

Default Skip sizes

Hey all,

Im doing a yard cleanup ATM and replacing about 70m of old rotton wooden fencing (with concrete posts) with colorbond.

I need to hire a skip to get rid of the old fence and posts and some other crap I have lying about.

Now never having hired a skip before I have no idea what size I would need.

Can anyone give me some dimensions (length, height, width) on some skips, and what you think I would need....

Eg 4m3, 3m3 sizes seem to be the most popular?
    Cheers

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

someone dropped an old fence on a block of land I own. I run a chainsaw though it a few times to make foot lengths and it left. If you need a bin ring a supplier they will tel you what you will need.

if the skip is delivered at 5am :mad: ... and they sometimes do deliver that early ... I suggest you offer any surplus space to neighbours for free to sweeten them up

if the skip is delivered at a sensible time ... make sure that you fill it before your neighbours try to fill it ... an empty skip seems to cry out to all and sundry to be filled. Getting it delivered a few days early when you're not ready for it is asking for trouble. Once your stuff is in then if there is any surplus space you can then offer it to your neighbours ... whether you charge them for it depends how many brownie points you want to earn in the neighbourhood.

Arrange for the skip to be picked up as soon as possible after you've filled it as every cheapskate in the area will take the opportunity to dump their rubbish overnight for free. And if you're really unlucky they will overfill the skip and the skip company will then refuse to collect it till you've adjusted the level .. leaving you the problem of disposing of someone else's rubbish.

Have to say I love skips ... some people throw away perfectly good stuff and I then remove it
    no-one said on their death bed I wish I spent more time in the office!

skips come in three basic sizes.

Not quite big enough.

No where near big enough

Too b$&%#y small.

They always fill up quicker than you think. But they are magic, fill them up a wave of the magic telling bone & poof all gone.

Pace out a 2 meter x 1 meter square on your lawn & stand a tape measure up to the 1meter mark then look at the pile of rubish, size it Up to see if you recon it will fit.
    then it will probably be wise to order the next biggest size.

there is always extra stuff you'll want to throw in it.

I had one in a while back for a general clean up.
    Could have filled it twice and then some.

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by soundman
    skips come in three basic sizes.

Not quite big enough.

No where near big enough

Too b$&%#y small.

They always fill up quicker than you think. But they are magic, fill them up a wave of the magic telling bone & poof all gone.

Pace out a 2 meter x 1 meter square on your lawn & stand a tape measure up to the 1meter mark then look at the pile of rubish, size it Up to see if you recon it will fit.
    then it will probably be wise to order the next biggest size.

there is always extra stuff you'll want to throw in it.

I had one in a while back for a general clean up.
    Could have filled it twice and then some.

cheers
    Ha ha, Those skip sizes listed above is exactly what I was worried about.....
    I take it a 4m3 skip would be the equivalent volume to 4m x 1m x 1m yer?
    Will pace it out and guesstimate was I need.
    Only problem is the fence is still standing so its hard to estimate how much space it will take up .
    Not a cheap thing these skips as I have discovered but it would be a royal PITA without them.

Thanks for the advice all, appreciated from this novice .

I ordered a 10 cubic meter skip at Christmas when we moved house, it is amazing how quickly they fill. I easily filled the thing just from the rubbish in the shed. then got the neighbor to pack it down with his backhoe and filled it again. they are a bit like Doctor Who's Tardis but in reverse.....

Quote Originally Posted by jackiew
    Have to say I love skips ... some people throw away perfectly good stuff and I then remove it
    I have a mate that works for a skip company, he works the Claremont/nedlands/Dalkeith area of Perth (posh) he regularly goes through the bins and is a regular at cash converters, he's found everything from food processors to stacker CD players to bunk beads, so many mag wheels, Tools and a Bang & Olufsen TV in perfect working order.

Dave