Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Carba-Tec cyclone

I see lots of talk about building your own cyclone and the benefits of them, but has anyone given one of the carba-tec cyclones a test? For example this one http://www.carbatec.com.au/machinery...-stage-cyclone ? I have enough trouble find time and ability to make things out of wood without getting distracted by trying to make things like cyclone dust systems. Does the carbatec beastie get the dust out and is it any noisier than a standard paper filter setup.

thanks

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

G'day,

Jefferson bought a C/Tec cyclone a little while back, https://www.woodworkforums.com/showth...hlight=cyclone

he might be able to wade in here and let you know what he thinks of it.
    I make things, I just take a long time.

www.brandhouse.net.au

Hi dedward.rocks,

I have one of the 3Hp Carbatec cyclones in your post that I got last year and I've been very happy with it. It a solid unit that is reasonably well made.

I previously had a small 1hp dusty so I don't have a lot to compare it with.

It has plenty of suction and I don't find it noisy compared to the table saw, router table, band saw, jointer or thicknesser that are connected to it. I run one 8 inch connection from the cyclone that splits into 2 x 6 inch PVC runs that go throughout the shed to various machines which are all 4 inch connections.

It is a cyclone separator so I assume the ClearVue / Bill Prenzel designed cyclones probably do a better job but like you I just didn't have the time or skills to make one.

Its a shame you are in Brizzy otherwise you could stop by and have a look.

Cheers,
    Geoff

I guess the 2 hp unit would work ok, but the cone to cylinder ratio (mentioned on Bill Pentz's web page) of the 3 hp carbatec cyclone doesn't look right.

If you don't have the time, inclination or ability to build a cyclone, I reckon you could get some serious bang for your buck satisfaction with a twin bag extractor like the FM-300 (installed outside your workshop) and a home made chip separator plumbed into your duct before the fan made from a spare drum, a PVC elbow or two, a tube of silicone and about half an hours work. It wont be quite as good, but it will definitely be a stack cheaper.

If I was to make one it would be for one main reason to not spend so much money.

My "workshop" is actually a 6mx4m room in the house and I don't really want to knock a hole in the wall or cut a hole in the window to put a dust system outside. A 2HP dusty with a pleated paper filter or the carbatec cyclone seem like the 2 quickly achievable options, but the cyclone costs a LOT more and eventually has the same paper filter at the end of the process. I guess I am finding it hard to justify the cost and size of the cyclone unit over a standard 2HP dusty with a paper filter. I already have a Jet room filter.

Christos & mikm are correct - the Carbatec unit is certainly a lot more expensive that what I paid for one last year.

There is a lot of great info here and on Bills website you can read but at the end of the day I reckon the key factor is the more suction you have the better.

Cheers,
    Geoff

I think it all comes down to how efficient they are ( as Bill mentions on his web page) there are no doubts that most cyclones work, its a case of are you getting the best effect for the money you spend. For most of us we don't have any way of measuring which one is better than the other. That's the advantage of a site like Bill's. At the end of the day cyclones seem to perform their job with less filters and less 'bad' dust.

Default cyclone

Hi dedward,
    If u can afford it buy the cyclone especially as ur only in a room where dust concentration could rise quickly, positive tho is u'll prolly only have short pipe runs, it should work quite well, If u can I would still try and direct the outlet outside or some of it outside (maybe a tee branch before the filters) with a piece of pipe poked thru an open window so then the dusty is pulling hopefully fresh air into the room, just trying to think laterally
    Peter.

Dedward,

At home we have a portable air conditioner. Not much use to you however, it came with a 4 inch ribbed tube which attaches to an oval shaped outlet. This outlet screws onto a plastic panel that is adjustable and designed to fit into an open window. If you have standard sliding aluminium frames, you open the window, sit the plastic frame from the bracket in the window track and close the window on the bracket. It ectends to fully cover the window opening.

This may be an option on either getting fresh air in or dusty air out.

Cheers
    Paul