Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Thread: Cyclomatic vfv

Default Cyclomatic vfv

I have been searching high and low for a small dust extraction unit and in my job as a wood trades lecturer the subject of dust comes up all ways in JSA,s and WMS so after working mainly without any dust extraction as a chippy I felt that it was nessessary.
    after several months of searching i have aquired a Cyclomatic Cyclone the rough at this stage measurements are 1750 from base to inlet and the outside diameter of the cyclone section would be around 800mm approx the filtters are in bag form cloth with 3 layers about 50-70mm apartand approx 1000 high with a 44 gallon drum diameter sawdust bin about 350 deep which by the use of a lever allows the collector to roll out from under the supports.Inlet diameter if 150mm the fan appears to be around 400mm diameter
    The moter is 3 phase and will have to be replaced with a 240v moter which i already have.
    my question is how long a run of 150mm duct would be considered advisable,the approximate run I think I would need is 8mtr with perhaps 3 outlets to a radial arm saw, thicknesser and a combination machine so not too excessive but i machine ceder windows and rebate with a groove cutter 35x10 size which chucks out considerable dust etc.
    Anyone heard of this brand it has been in a shed for 20 years unused, and would the fan be up to 8mtrs draw (for the lack of a better word)
    regards
    Barry Treleaven

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Bazz8, if you haven't by now the best thing you can do is look at the Bill Pentz web site to learn as much as you can. By the sounds of it the unit you have shows promise. But take the time and read what Bill has to say before you do anything. Particularly if you are teaching others.

Default More Detail on cyclone

OK I have spent several days considering ducting and being shocked of my socks with the price of pvc 150 $77-85 6mtr length and the average fittings $27-30+ dollars which sadly is beyond my budget.
    The unit has a 185- 150 reducer on it as bought, Idecided to run 2x100mm runs of stormwater gd for piping, the local plumbing supplies shop sold me the 100mm pipe for $15 .00 ea as they were rejected by plumbers with slight scratches and I small dent which is no big deal buying the remainder of fittings as follows
    3x100x45 junctions
    4x push on caps
    3x 88deg bends
    150x100 lit taper
    pipe x 2x6mtr
    6x saddle clips
    with gst added total-----------------------------------------------------------------------------$117.64
    In Adelaide I went to Leda Machinery bought
    5 mtr of 100mm flex duct
    5 connecters
    with gst added total-----------------------------------------------------------------------------$ 93.50

Material cost : $ 211.14

Next step clean up the darlek 1700 high and 800mm diameter with almost 2 million screws holding it together!
    the moter is 3 phase 2880 rpm with a fan of 400 mm with 130mm fins
    when i pulled the moter out it was recessed in a cone 350 diameter and 300 depth
    which isolates the moter from the sawdust area( very clever me thinks)
    saw on moter the facility to run 415 and 240 v wondering how in the hell do you do that then rang around to find out it would cost a round $500-600 for an inverter plus wiring ect(eeeeeeeek) so on monday a new moter is going in rough figure over the phone
    $200-300 with the $100 that I bought the unit for still way under $1000 which suits the budget much better.
    The filter system is a canvas white sort of bag 750 diam then looped up then down under a wire frame then back up again this time 600 diameter then over the frame again and down then up to the underside of the cyclone with a inside finished diameter of 500 mm,unravelled the filter is almost 3 mtr in length,BTW Ialmost died cleaning the dust of the bag and can almost believe that it was such a pig to clean that my effort was the first
    I am looking forward to getting this setup in operation as for the best part of my working in the trade 35 years was a combination of setting the bench up with your face away from the wind and just allowing the dust to be blown away, and in my shed doors wide open with the largest fans available.
    Pictures to follow.
    Bazz8

If your motor was 3 phase and turning a 400mm fan, chances are you will be up for more than $300 for a single phase unit ( unless it is second hand) starting a fan that size will take a good quality single phase motor ( eg: one of a air compressor) that is suited to starting under load, worth checking out.

yes that looks like the damage the unit is worth the trouble
    here are some pictures

Interesting looking unit, if you are keeping the bag idea then put the whole unit outside under cover. Otherwise you will be just breathing the fine dust that you are trying to catch. Also the pipe size you have choosen will collect chips but not all the dust. You might want to make larger bends ( on your 90 corners) by using multiple smaller angles and small pieces of pipe. You are going to some trouble so these changes would make it worthwhile. Not perfect, but better.

been wondering about that bend I have the room to form a larger radius at this stage all the joints are press fitted so not to much trouble to use several 22.5 deg fittings and pipe.

Buzzard is offline Manufacturer of High Quality Splinters

Wink

It looks great but I can't help but wonder if you are using a blast gate or not. Your photo shows the convoluted hose going straight into the ducting. What do you do when you are using another machine using the DC? I guess you are pulling out the hose and replacing it with a plug or something. Blast gates are a lot easier and not all that expensive either. I love blast gates! I've bought heaps of the damned things. So many that I'm sure my wife thinks I must be up in the shed doing erotic things with them!

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzard View Post
    It looks great but I can't help but wonder if you are using a blast gate or not. Your photo shows the convoluted hose going straight into the ducting. What do you do when you are using another machine using the DC? I guess you are pulling out the hose and replacing it with a plug or something. Blast gates are a lot easier and not all that expensive either. I love blast gates! I've bought heaps of the damned things. So many that I'm sure my wife thinks I must be up in the shed doing erotic things with them!

Rick
    Hi Rick i,m not sure to be honest the original owner said to leave as many openings wide open as to ensure full air flow, his comments not mine I would realy like to use 150 and if this is not succesful gates may be the answer.
    I have a new moter which is easily fitted in the cone of the unit except the capacitor box which is about 155 square and 50-60 deep I may have to stretch the cone in two areas to ensure clearance .
    The 100mm pipe I bought 5 pvc caps for sealing of the pipe at what point i choose
    when i start the unit up i will then check the airflow,can,t wait.

Buzzard is offline Manufacturer of High Quality Splinters

Struth! I can't really see his reasoning behind that! I have 100mm PVC and a 3HP DC which works brilliantly when only one or two gates are open but drops off quite noticably when 3 or 4 are open at the same time. 150mm would be great but the pipe and fitting prices are through the roof. Plugs work great as long as you are prepared to pull 'em out and bung in the hoses each time you use a different machine. In fact, I have found that the plugs actually seal better than blast gates. That's quite an admission coming from me! So far I have 18 of the suckers! Carba-tec must love me!

Rick

Yes Itend to agree with you but tomorrow will be the test day after Imove 5 ton of rubbish that has acumilated in the area I want to fit the unit.
    will keep you posted

Default Update re new moter

Well after every possible diversion (inlaw with dbl nemonia) that much rain the gutters flooded(go figure have not overrflowed for 24 yrs) storm comes along with horrendous winds, blows a large tree across my driveway and 3 saterdays later still cutting the darn thing up!
    Well finally plugged the thing in and does it goit hovers have not taped any of the joints just press fit and left the caps on using the open pipe to test on some loose sawdust woosh up the pipe it went I figure if the semi moist dust gets sucked up with a 100mm pipe when it is fresh sawdust will be no problem at all,when i lowered the pipe to 100mm over thesawdust there was 2 pieces of cwood about 120x30x16 nearby and both of those was sucked up in no time flat.Grabbed them both quick smart did not want them to run into the fan
    So its a goer now where can i aquire an airflow guage? any advise please
    regards
    Bazz8