Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Perspex Anti-Static Treatment

I have made a timber manifold for dust extraction on my double router table. It has three outlet fixtures at the top. So to keep an eye on what is goilng on I made the top for the manifold out of 12mm perpex.

I have done a search of the site but can't find any post with details on an anti-static treatment for perspex.

As we all know everthing sticks to perspex so I don't want to end up with basically an inspection plate that is blacked out by the dust it attracks from the use of the dust extractor.

Does anyone have any hints/knowledge about products for the treatment or a coating that can be applied to perspex to stop the attraction nature of the material.

Perspex is great to use but its nature in attracking everything is sight is a difficulty.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

PEN

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

I googled it, and got a lot of hits. Here is one, and another. Plenty more on google.
    Chris
    ========================================

Life isn't always fair

....................but it's better than the alternative.

Thanks Chris,
    I will google the subject myself and check out the products.

I had in the back of my mind that there was an earlier post on the site that discussed this issue, but could not find it in the search I did.

Always a solution or an answer on here.

PEN

Hi Pen

Bill Pentz talks in depth on his website about the risks and remedies for static build up in plastic ducting. Besides the annoyance of things sticking, there is a much more serious risk from a spark and fire. From memory (often faulty these days) Bill's solution was to run a length of copper earth wire the length of the duct.

Cheers

Graeme

Graeme,
    You may have misunderstood my original post.
    This is not a duct per se, it is not a tube etc but a manifold 1000 x 150 x150mm high. The perspex cover to the manifold is 1000 x 150mm and is screwed to the timber frame- an inspection lid by any other name.
    The twin router table can be seen in this thread:
    https://www.woodworkforums.com/showth...t=75424&page=2
    Post 24 has pictures of the router table.
    What I am doing and it is discusssed in the post, is putting a manifold across the two rear outlets that will also pick up the dust from the overhead fittings.
    The idea of the perspex cover is so i can seeany blockages as they may occur.
    I am after an anti-static treatment to stop the static build up from the perspex cover.
    PEN

No, Pen, I did not misread your post.

The key issue is the build up of static electricity in plastic components. The issues are identical.

Cheers

Graeme

Graeme,
    I have just had a look through Bill Pentz's site and not for the first time as I am in contact with Bill independently of the site.

I noted in Ducting F-Static Electricity the comments by both Bill and Dr Cole. Dr Cole's article is enlightening if you read it on this topic, especially the view of the fire inspector. My problem raised there is that I have thinners in my shed.

I will take up the help provided by chrisb691 and get the products that I also found through the google search.

I drive and I walk on the streets of Sydney everday and am prepared to take my chances with the trucks and the buses. They haven't got me yet and neither will my dust extractor!

PEN