Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast

Terrific. Looks good even without the hearts. Just the light and shadows. (I reckon cotton would still be the best thing for stitching them on. Maybe use a thicker string so it comes through the dying and bleaching. I think nylon would look too unnatural and would stay bright. )
    anne-maria.
    T
    ea Lady

(White with none)
    Follow my little workshop/gallery on facebook. things of clay and wood.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Have to agree with TL, cotton or hemp, No smoking or cookies, only to use as ties.
    Instagram: mark_aylward
    www.solidwoodfurniture.com.au

A good edge takes a little sweat!!

art it is
    smile and the world will smile with you

Default MEGA store experience

After mulling over it I decided on Irish linen thread because of it's history more than anything. I'm a little concerned about it holding up under the conditions over time but thought I'd attach a little bag of spare hearts, thread and needle to the back just in case, that'll put my conscience to rest.

In a fingers crossed quest to purchase some I detoured on my way home from work and dropped into a MEGA Spotlight store only to be confronted with a less enthusiastic store attendant who decided that I was better off in the craft section about a mile away to the other side of the store, great!

Isle upon isle upon isle, I couldn't find the Irish linen thread and walked out after buying two wound up balls of satin, 2 ply, midnight blue, 100% cotton thread, why! Because that's what MEGA stores do to you I suppose

The Irish linen thread search continues

I know it's a little wierd, but what about a saddler's store, Spring? I got some linen thread from the local one. it was pretty expensive though Maybe looking for the thread online might yield more results?

cheers
    Wendy

Quote Originally Posted by RufflyRustic View Post
    I know it's a little weird, but what about a saddler's store, Spring? I got some linen thread from the local one. it was pretty expensive though Maybe looking for the thread online might yield more results?

cheers
    Wendy

That's a good thought Ruffly, thanks, it's no more weird than floundering around online and finding out that book binding suppliers maybe the place to get it Yeah it does look like it's going to be expensive though. I'm wondering if the waxed lined thread may be more durable against salt and bleach Don't want to be too precious about it though, after all I'm after a weathered appearance not something clinical if that's the right word.

Default Salt

Just a few steps along the way. Colouring the hollows turned out to be a small disaster but may still give something back. Linseed oil was left to settle in the hollows for a day then a mix of Ultramarine blue oil paint, gum turps and painting medium was pooled in. Now drying out after a soaking in a bleach and salt slurry. Would have been good to use the summer sun as well because that really sets the bleach bleaching.
    Attachment 132872Attachment 132873
    Attachment 132874
    A hearty Huon bleach soup

Quote Originally Posted by springwater View Post
    . Linseed oil was left to settle in the hollows for a day then a mix of Ultramarine blue oil paint, gum turps and painting medium was pooled in. Now drying out after a soaking in a bleach and salt slurry.
    Hey Spring, looking good
    just wondering if you're experimenting with these mixes as you go along,
    or you've this process before?

what if the hokey pokey is really what it's all about?

Quote Originally Posted by underfoot View Post
    Hey Spring, looking good
    just wondering if you're experimenting with these mixes as you go along,
    or you've this process before?
    Thanks Undy, I've experimented on a few sample pieces but kind of new what to expect by observing wear on old wooden boats and painted stuff washed ashore. I do like to leave some things to chance though so I'm still not sure of the result until it drys out then I'll take it from there.

Ahh, a similar system to my own, artwork suprise
    Looking ever more amazing Springy.

Hi Spring,

Is this step - the slurry - is a step of faith as you can't really guess at the end result?

I would think Waxed thread is the way to go, but maybe buying it unwaxed and waxing it yourself might help keep the cost down at little.

Book Binders - Of Course! Doh

cheers
    Wendy

Quote Originally Posted by RufflyRustic View Post
    Hi Spring,

Is this step - the slurry - is a step of faith as you can't really guess at the end result?

I would think Waxed thread is the way to go, but maybe buying it unwaxed and waxing it yourself might help keep the cost down at little.

Book Binders - Of Course! Doh

cheers
    Wendy
    Hi Wendy,

Making the hollows was conceived after initial bleaching and stitching of the pieces. Shaping the hollows for the hearts to lay in exposed unbleached wood, so the slurry was used to re-bleach them for consistency. The thinned oil paint was applied and let dry before the slurry so it sunk into the wood like a stain with the intention of repelling the drying effect of the bleach and salt.

I'd say the wood will crack more with age, there is some intention in that. A few pieces have already cracked and I'm thinking of mending them with a few stitches here and there, we'll see.

My daughter's coming back from England for a holiday soon There's a chance she may bring some thread back with her

Hey Springy, how about "cat gut" not sure if you can buy it anywhere these days but I know where there are heaps of cats!! Jokes aside how about the multi stand fishing line that they use for fly fishing etc I often come across it when I'm scuba diving seem strong and lasts well under salt water at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Claw Hama View Post
    Hey Springy, how about "cat gut" not sure if you can buy it anywhere these days but I know where there are heaps of cats!! Jokes aside how about the multi stand fishing line that they use for fly fishing etc I often come across it when I'm scuba diving seem strong and lasts well under salt water at least.
    Yeah Craw, thanks for the thoughts I thought of "cat gut" for the stitching of the pieces but it seems to be expensive now, apparently sort after for double bass strings but needing about 100 M, that's a lot of strings I bet there's an old tennis racket stringerupperer around somewhere that's got a stash somewhere

I also had a look at the fly fishing 'braid' I think it was called, for reasons you mentioned and the stuff rod makers used to secure the eyelets for the same reason of durability but as Tea Lady said the synthetics have that shiny new look which I wasn't after.

This morning I left it out to dry in the Autumn sun all day, something to build on I think, so far so good with some tussle to go.

Attachment 133124

Attachment 133125

Attachment 133126

Wow, realy looking old and crusty (great) some iron fileings could go well in the recipe Springy, rusty wood!!
    Ok, off to find some cats for you

Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast