Quote Originally Posted by Fossil View Post
    Remember to take a very deep breath Yonnee
    Thank you Fossil...

...in...

...out...

...in...

...out...

Nup... didn't work!
    Last edited by Yonnee; 6th August 2009 at 06:46 PM. Reason: Had enough! Can't argue with people who dont read all the posts

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Yonnee... you are presumptious in deed. you know little of my background........you make assumptions about my background.......I may have worked in the transport metal working trade, I may have close family with current engineering and transport industry background, I may have close friends who have substantial engineering qualifications and resources that I call upon and discuss such matters as a matter of habit, I may have a very good understanding of engineering principles, I may also have the ability to read a specification and a manufacturers application instructions.

all the above are true.

you will find.. as I warned.. on this board particularly there are a great deal of people who have considerable understanding and experience outside of their declared occupation.

on the one had you espouse an elitist attitude, saying that one should be qualified to give advice... on the other hand you seem to favor your experience over the declared and published specifications of manufacturers.

If you can only sprout your opinion without evidence.. it remains just that an opinion.
    I have given my opinion and backed it with evidence from two sources that I would be happy to go to court with......how about you.

So you claim to have specific training and or experience, A great many people claim likewise.......well you are the one claiming to have superiour qualifations....are you a transport engineer, or perhaps a coach and body builder or something equavalent...if not you are no more qualified than I

If your opinion was bassed on reaserach how come you are not aware of the two credible sources that I quoted.

Now those who have been on this board a while will know, I generaly check my facts. And away from here have a reputation for asking hard questions.......many times I have checked what is widely assumed to be fact......by going to the source the manufacturer or regulator have found the truth to be otherwise.

Do not turn you nose up at google.....it is simply an index....and unlike years ago... a great deal of quality engineering data is available on line.......no longer do we have to depend on what we are told......in many cases we can check the facts for ourselves quickly and easily.............note I have only quoted manufactures or wholesalers sources and not unqualified reference sites.

as for the engineering decisions being bassed of rim size norms of the past........I dont see anything has changed......the engineering will be bassed on total wheel and tyre diameter... besides the vast majority of trailers will still be fitted with the same wheel choices of 20 years ago. In particular the Vehicle components specifications are made on total wheel diameter.
    A 15 or 16 inch 4wd rim and tire remain considerably heavier and much larger in diameter than a standard 13 or 14 inch pasenger wheel & tire typicaly used on trailers... the engineering considerations remain the same.....the relivence to original post remain the same.

The argument for derating for total wheel diameter remain the same.

I dont know about your state but the tyre size on a vin plate or tyre plackard are more specific than a minimum.....from my understanding any substitute wheel should retain the same total wheel diameter within a certain tolerance.........further wheel tyre substitutions on most self driven vehicles will not be as drastic as proposed here....( i'll check the details with my local inspectors as time allows).......should there be an axle failure and it goes to court......where do you stand.

Now remember it is not I that turned this into a pissing contest.

The real question that we should be asking is.....why is there a varation between manufacturers on their published considered engineering opinion, on axle strength and the wheel size consideration.
    We should be questioning why, not arguing over who is right.
    Any thing with sharp teeth eats meat.
    Most powertools have sharp teeth.
    People are made of meat.
    Abrasives can be just as dangerous as a blade.....and 10 times more painfull.

Yonnee is offline Trailer Bloke & Mild Mannered Moderator

OK, I'm done.
    Too many projects, so little time, even less money!
    Are you a registered member? Why not? click here to register. It's free and only takes 37 seconds! Doing work around the home? Wander over to our sister site, Renovate Forum, for all your renovation queries.

Well if I want advice about trailers I'll ask Yonnee coz he is a professional trailer builder.

Why on earth would I want to consult a hi-fi man about building a trailer?

btw if soundman has a friend who is a dentist that doesn't mean soundman is capable of pulling teeth
    Regards, Bob Thomas

www.wombatsawmill.com

I keep going back to manufacturers published specifications and application information.

Who are you going to believe......the manufacturer who has to stand by what they publish in court should there be an engineering failure.......... or anybody on an internet chat forum... me included.

we live in an age where litigation and public liability expectations are a given....especialy should an insurance company become involved.

anybody constructing a trailer would be wise to have and keep documentary proof justifying why they made the engineering decisions for that trailer, especilay on such items as running gear, couplings and brakes.

should the worst come to the worst and you have to stand up in court, what are you going to say to defend yourself..........the guy at the trailer shop told me this........this is what some guy told me.......this is what I was taught as an apprentice.........or this is what a company I used to work for did.... or.......These are the brands and models, and I sourced the items from these suppliers and here are the manufacturers specifications and the items were used according to these specifications and the application recomendations.

Anybody had to stand up in court recently.........they don't care how smart you think you are or how much you know..............they don't want to hear your opinion they want proof................and they will say........a prudent person would have done............ .such...........which will be a very conservative outlook.

if you are an engineer, you had better be able to fully justify your engineering...... because you can bet your boots the insurance company opposing you will have plenty of money to spend on a more prominent and more ellequent engineer than you.......

the best you can hope for is to lay the blame for the component failure at the feet of the component supplier.....the only way to do that is documantation supporting your use of those components according to manufacturers specifications.

I used to do some work for an insurance company auctioneer some time ago, and I used to get talking to the mechanic who ran the impound.........they had a horse float that was held as evidence in a matter of a disputed claim.....seems there was a problem with the coupling not being right.........they held this float for many years.......because that is how long the dispute went on...........and we are talking the possible refusal of the total claim.
    The trailer, the towing vehicle, livestock and anybody and anything involved.........the owner could have been potentialy ruined, having to bear all liabilities of the accident and all court costs.

remember this is the internet.... I do not depend a single thing that is not supported by some form of varified information or that I can otherwise prove myself.

The prudent person uses internet chat boards as a pointer to reliable information and nothing more.

when we undertake to build or modify a trailer, we are buying into a minefield of litigation and possible financial doom........the big trailer manufacturers have a company and public liablity insurance to stand behind.....those of us that build in our own right stand on our own poor and naked before the law......so we would be wise to be exceptionaly carefull.

Now
    If anybody has an argument with the referenced manufacturers information I have posted please by all means bring that argument forward, and either bring your engineering justification or your manufacturers technical notes.

If anybody has an argument with recommendations I have made or opinions that I have given, please post your reasons and preferably your reference information you have found.

If however you think you can play the man and not the ball, or simply try and tell me you are smarter than me, or know more than me.....think again.....

This is or at least was a friendly forum, known for its robust but friendly discussion, discussions aimed at improving the understanding of all.

best wishes and cheers to all.

Oh BTW.....if soundmans brother was a dentist, he would probably have a fair idea of the causes of tooth decay, and be perfectly qualified to express opinions concerning dental hygeen and post links to internet sites, from dental experts on dental matters.

cheers
    Any thing with sharp teeth eats meat.
    Most powertools have sharp teeth.
    People are made of meat.
    Abrasives can be just as dangerous as a blade.....and 10 times more painfull.

Sodomising Flies.
    Thread Closed.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123