Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Hallam View Post
    She's not home yet but visitation rights granted. She is a bit of a gift, sort of all the things i was looking for in a restorer in one neat package. Makes me glad i did not take on some other projects i had the chance to take up as they had some aspects i was not looking for in a boat. I have been polishing the bronze port holes and fittings to get me into the project. The bloke i bought her off was hoping for someone who would take on the job with a passion for finishing the job that his father started 25 years ago but due to illness could not finish. Sort of passing on his dad's dream, so i do feel something special about this.
    That's great Hallam. I'm sure you will be able to document and pass on the previous story of the boat; the old bloke's dreams etc, when your time with the boat is over too. I look forward to seeing her in all her ragged glory .
    What caused the Pacific War? A book to read: here

http://middlething.blogspot.com/

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by rob540 View Post
    Drop dead gorgeous. How much does she weigh do you think?
    Had a chat to Jo Pompei on the weekend and he estimates the bare Jarrah hull and Oregon deck etc would weigh just under two ton.
    giz·mol·o·gy also gis·mol·o·gy n., pl.giz·mol·o·gies. The scientific study of, or the body of knowledge pertaining to, gizmos.

giz·mo also gis·mo n., pl.giz·mos. A gadget, contraption, contrivance, or other mechanical device or the parts thereof, the name of which is forgotten or unknown.

Less than I thought...how will you move her?
    What caused the Pacific War? A book to read: here

http://middlething.blogspot.com/

Looking at two options at the moment. There is a mobile crane at Horsham already organized for the job of lifting her onto the trailer or low loader. So the quest i'm on at the moment is to hire a large boat trailer to do the job. I have seen a good trailer down Sorrento way pull a 32 Ft fiberglass boat out of the water for it's annual maintenance and i know this trailer has transported wooden hulled cray boats from Robe to Melbourne in the past. Adria, being around two ton, the weight is no probs. One issue is the width, at just under 10 Ft, there will need to be a permit and possibly flashing light or flags on the trailer. Also there are restrictions on the Roads to be used through Melbourne and the time of travel.
    The other option is a low loader behind a prime mover though this is the more expensive option. I'm hoping to have it organized for the school holidays as i have 3 weeks off and would like to do the move during this time.
    giz·mol·o·gy also gis·mol·o·gy n., pl.giz·mol·o·gies. The scientific study of, or the body of knowledge pertaining to, gizmos.

giz·mo also gis·mo n., pl.giz·mos. A gadget, contraption, contrivance, or other mechanical device or the parts thereof, the name of which is forgotten or unknown.

Is there any way of finding out what happened to Adrian ?.
    Does anybody know ?.
    Rob J.

Hopefully Hallam will have more photos for us.
    Rob J.

Quote Originally Posted by dopeydriver View Post
    Hopefully Hallam will have more photos for us.
    Rob J.
    The project has been on the backburner for quite a while as circumstances in life often dictate. I am happy to report full steam ahead as we have compleated a move back to the Mornington Peninsular. Here are some pics of the transport of the hull.
    The first pick is of Adria being lifted onto a trailer in Horsham.
    The 2nd is at Mully's Boatyard in Sorrento and the third is in our yard infront of the shed.

Oh , isn't she a beauty !!!!!.
    I'm looking forward to the day that she graces the water !.
    In fact , I'll make sure I be there !.
    Regards Rob J.

Quote Originally Posted by dopeydriver View Post
    Oh , isn't she a beauty !!!!!.
    I'm looking forward to the day that she graces the water !.
    In fact , I'll make sure I be there !.
    Regards Rob J.
    Thanks Rob. It would be great to have you here for the launch.
    .........makes me think of how much work I have to do, and my father's advice, make lists, break down to small manageable jobs and plan ahead. Anyway the work has begun.
    A few planks will need replacing as they are cracked along where the wet well was plugged, the deck and some deck beams will need replacing. She has been re ribbed but this needs finishing from the engine beds aft., and new timber floors need to be fitted. There are welded angle iron ones loosley nailed to the keelson but i will give them a miss and use timber.
    At the moment she is outside the shed as I have do raise the flat roof and extend it a bit.

Its a pity you don't live over here , I'd gladly give you space in my shed !.
    I think your father has given you good advise too.
    Have you any photos of her up in the shed ?.
    Regards Rob J.

I was born in Portland and my father , Port Fairy. He told me he would often visit the Haldains when they where building the Tecoma.
    Here ius a pic of Adria outside the shed waiting for the room to move in. She arrived last Wednesday.

She reminds me of a beautiful full bodied woman , with all the curves in the right places.
    Regards Rob J.

Good luck wth the restoration Hallam.As a big boat owner I look forward to regular up dates.
    I was only talking to the Admiral last weekend about putting our motor sailer in the back yard for 12 months so she could have some much needed TLC (The boat not the Admiral). It is not going to happen as camping on a trailer sailer mooring minder apparently is not an option.
    Ian L
    "Wavedancer"

HAllam,

Correct me if I'm wrong but in the last Pic, it looks like the keel has deformed just to the left of the coloured drum in the fore ground.

Was she sitting for a long period and incorrectly supported??

A nice project I expect it will take a while , Good luck with her, and i will watch as you restore a lovely old boat to her original glory.

Jeff

Thanks Wavedancer. What type of boat do you have? Thanks for the well wishes, I will need all the luck I can get and a fair bit of advise from those who have restored a similar boat. There are a few around here that work profesionaly on wooden boats so I am seriously thinking of having one involved to help out at critical stages and to provide their professional opinion so I stay on the right path so to speak.
    Hi Jeff, yes she has a hog in the keel for sure. I have seen it on other older boats and as far as I know can happen as they age. The Alma Dopel had a fair hog in the keel when I was lucky enough to help the shipwright do some work on her hull in the early 90's. The way Adria was propped and supported over the years she has been out of the water was ok. From what I have been told the drying out process doesn't help though.
    The bottom piece of jarrah in the keel has been added after the hog developed and was cut to fit the bend and give a straight bottom edge to the keel, and this was done while she was still a working boat.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast