Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How do you get Super Glue of your car paintwork?

Wife is a teacher and some ######## put super glue on the bonnet of the new car. Any suggestions?
    The world is a comedy to those that think, a tragedy to those that feel.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

acetone works but it will also ruin the paintwork

how bad is it? a photo might help

ie is it a large area or just a quick squirt.

This is hard not being able to see how bad it is but using CA on woodwork and as a filler it comes to mind

if its thick and a small area I suggest use a fine edged scraper but tape the area around it and very fine shave. shave the the offending bit back but not all the way, then use 600 wet & dry or even 1200+ wet of course with soap then a good quality cut and polish.

I'd try a hairdryer first. The heat may soften it enough to peel away. Or, it may remove enough that a quick wipe of meths may surfice. There is also a superglue remover available at Bunnings, but I am not sure what it would do to paint - try some in a paint area that will not be seen (try thinners next, then lastly acetone).

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Visit www.inthewoodshop.com for tutorials on constructing handtools, handtool reviews, and my trials and tribulations with furniture builds.

Arhh, the youth of today!!
    I'm not young enough to know it all.

Try this
    Their might be places in Perth that stock similar.

Quote Originally Posted by billyt View Post
    Arhh, the youth of today!!
    So the youth of yesterday never did anything disrespectful, damaging or stupid?

Sorry to hear about the car yowie.

If its a new car I'd be taking it to a car detailer.
    Cheers, Glen

Quote Originally Posted by yowie View Post
    Wife is a teacher and some ######## put super glue on the bonnet of the new car. Any suggestions?
    Quite frankly, I wouldn't touch it. Being a new car, your wife obviously has insurance and I would therefore take it to a crash repairer, who should know what he is doing. If the car was damaged whilst it was parked at her work place, ie school, she may be covered by the school's insurance policy as well, which would hopefully avoid the excess problem.

G'Day Yowie,

Don't know if it works but makes sense, read it somewhere
    ''Option 1:

Dry ice. Yup, the cold stuff made of CO2.

You'll want to apply the dry ice over the area with the glue (small areas at a time) and metal around it. The differential in the coefficient of expansion (contraction, in this case) will cause the glue and the metal to shink at slightly different rates. Assuming there was any wax on the car at all, the glue should release as it cracks such that you can nick it off with a fingernail. Some of it should come off of its own accord, and with any luck at all, you'll never get to #2. This is a somewhat modified version of the old "dent remover" trick.

Option 2:

As we have NO idea what kind of paint and wax (if any) has been used on this car, the "nail polish remover" / acetone solution could be dicey. One thing for certain, it'll remove every last lick of wax, so you'll need to be prepared to lay on another coat ASAP after removing the glue if this works.

Have a look at the front of the drivers's door frame around the front hinge area (inside where nobody ever really looks). Assuming the insides of the door frame are painted with the same material as the car, take a Q-Tip loaded with the polish remover and rub it fairly vigorously. See if this begins to soften the paint or if color begins to come off on the Q-Tip. This area of the vehicle won't fake you out by dropping a load of oxided paint on the Q-Tip as an area on the exterior of the car might, and has probably never had any wax applied to it, so it makes a fair test. This will give you an idea of how fast you have to work in the event that you attempt to use the nail polish remover on the glued area of the door -- or for that matter, if you want to take that approach at ALL. If the paint so much as softens where you're working in the door frame, you'll want to avoid this technique -- it'll show up big time on that nice, flat door surface.''

Cheers
    Bernie

Your next problem is how to avoid it happening again, sorry to be negative.
    woody U.K.

"Common looking people are the best in the world: that is the reason the Lord makes so many of them." ~ Abraham Lincoln

nail polish/acetone is likely to remove the paint on the car too
    Regards, Bob Thomas

www.wombatsawmill.com

Thanks for all the ideas fellas, shall try a few tomorrow and see how we go. It's only about 20c size but right on the bonnet. Have already tried turps.
    I'll let you know how I go

Sincerely
    Yowie
    The world is a comedy to those that think, a tragedy to those that feel.

Quote Originally Posted by echnidna View Post
    nail polish/acetone is likely to remove the paint on the car too
    True. The stuff i posted is acetone free. Should do the trick. Even some vinegar might be worth a go. Try it on some paint work that isnt seen.

I would try the insurance method myself
    I use CA glue and sometimes if I make a mistake I use my debonder .If the CA is well set it takes a few goes,keeping it wet.But I wouldn't take a chance on my new car.Hit the school for it and off to a panelbeater .PM if you need to know where to buy Debonder,but should be available from any ball bearing supplier shop
    M68DB Debonder

AVAILABLE SIZES: 2oz pump
    DESCRIPTION: Mercury M68DB is a debonder especially formulated for Mercury CA adhesives. It is a clear liquid with a relatively low evaporation rate that attacks and dissolves cured or uncured Instant Superglue (cyanoacrylate).
    APPLICATIONS: Can be used to debond misaligned parts or clean up excess adhesive. It also is useful for removing spilled adhesives from work area. Debonds accidentally bonded skin.
    USEFUL HINTS/NOTES: Mercury M68DB Debonder works best under repeated applications rather than one excessively large application. Apply debonder, allow it to dissolve hardened superglue and repeat as necessary. Use in an inconspicuous area for testing. May attack certain plastics and remove paint or varnish.
    Click here for MSDS
    Click Here for Technical Data and use instructions
    Back To Car Building & All The Sawdust.

I've used acetone on my car paint work before with no ill effects. You have to make sure you get it all off quickly though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast