Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default All Known Suppliers of Traditional Cut Thread Slotted BRASS Wood Screws

I think it's about time we had a knowledge dump of all the known suppliers of brass wood screws. By that I mean the REAL ones; not square/robertson drive, Philips/Pozi, brassed, rolled or anything else. When you're into restorations like I am; only the right fasteners will do. I maintain an inventory of over 220 different sizes in FH, RH, and OH, not counting chromed or nickelled OH, japanned, blued or steel (which I haven't yet tallied up) ranging in size from 00 to 24g in my 'screw room'.

Now you can go to leevalley/vertitas, Woodcraft, Bunnings, Mitre10/Mega or any hardware store for that matter and they might still have a small selection of FH; but its the RH and OH that are the real hard to find ones. I'll start the list with my suppliers (notice there are no local suppliers here):

McMaster-Carr USA Stocks majority of common sizes not stocked locally
    Screwsline UK Good range of brass, nickel, chrome plated and Japanned screws
    Jamestown Distributors USA Bronze, brass and stainless fasteners specially catering to boatbuilding and restoration work
    Lippincott Supply USA Extensive range of brass, steel and stainless fasteners in every available increment (brass 0-14g, steel 0-24g)
    American Integrated Supply An eBay online store with extra-hard to find sizes, notably large gauges up to 18g stocked in affordable quantities.
    Narragansett Screw Co.USA; Goulet Specialties USA, Yushung Metal Products Ltd China, If you can’t find the screws you need these two companies will make them for you (I've had 20 and 24g sizes quoted from them)

If you know any others please list!

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

hi zitan,
    try www.bronzeandbrassfasteners.com.au
    these guys are the australian distributers for yusshung metals. not a huge selection (i think they're just starting up) but very helpful and can get just about any type of screw!!
    i got slot headed brass and i'm very happy with them.
    hope this helps
    smurfn8r

I did get a quote once from Yushung Metal; though their minimum order quantity was about 5000!

The really hard to find ones are the big ones; here's a copy of a quote I got from Goulet Specialties in the US to give an idea:

Item: #20 x 2 SLOTTED OVAL HD BRASS CUT THREAD WOOD SCREWS
    Qty: 400 pce
    Price: $1.50 ea
    Delivery: 3-4 weeks

Item: #18 x 2 SLOTTED OVAL HD BRASS CUT THREAD WOOD SCREWS
    Qty: 400 pcs
    Price: $1.40 ea

Item: #20 x 2 SLOTTED ROUND HD BRASS CUT THREAD WOOD SCREWS
    Qty: 400 pcs
    Price: $1.50 ea

I eventually found some 18g (18x1 1/2 RH, 18x3 RH and 18x2 1/2 OH) screws from American Integrated on eBay which I urgently needed; but if anyone else needs 20g I would consider placing an order and dividing it up to whoever wants them.

cheers

I bought some screws of them, I only needed 32 ( 4 hinges worth ) there was no mention of minimum order?

I didn't ask about minimum order either.

smurfn8r

I think the screws I was after were ones they didn't have in stock; mind you, I don't think anyone stocks 20g or bigger in brass these days. Biggest I've ever seen for sale 'off the shelf' in brass have been 18g (24g in bronze). 5000 20 x 1 1/2 would probably see demand in Australasia right for the next 15 years!

I always buy each size in quantities of 1-200; and restock once a year with any sizes I don't have, since you never know what you might need for a project. Right now I'm looking for about 500 8x1 1/4 OH brass square drive (yes I know, square drive!) for a project dating from 1921 and will more than likely have to get these custom made as well.

Square drive was invented in 1904 so whatever your building or repairing from 27 you should be right. Slot head has been going for about 400 yrs

I just checked their website they have slot head in that size. send them an email mate they were helpful.

Sqr drive is good and I like using them in building work but they just don't look right in finishing work.

I originally talk to Yushung in china they sent me to the distributor over here in Oz

What is the 1927 project?

Sounds like you've read that screw book too! Yes I was surprised to see Robertson drive used here 'relatively' early (all that effort to import them from Canada). I can't reveal the project but it has wheels and was built in Christchurch. Haven't seen any traditional pattern oval head brass square drive anywhere (I have the slotted size in every increment from 1/2 to 2") so I'll see what Yushung in Oz have to say.

Thought it might have wheels was thinking coach building in the size screws you mentioned but there not quite big enough for railways/tram would have say bus probably at a guess truck with bus body.