Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Funny that...did you ever think about 'cutting gains'? Anyone else but a boat builder would be looking to make gains, not cut them. But then we're not talking about the clinker of coins are we?
    What caused the Pacific War? A book to read: here

http://middlething.blogspot.com/

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Boatmik View Post
    Was that a procedural problem with the plan Mike? If the change is fair and local it will probably be OK.

For example I could change it to talk about the deck clamps going in first then the deck being shaped.

MIK
    Had a bit of a set back broke an end off an inwhale during test fitting but all is not lost epoxy will disguise things.

Mik I glued the deck clamps after the bulkhead went in what I didn't notice was how much they flattened out the side panel curve.

Attachment 118954

But with some persuasion the curve can be re-established.....hm problem is how do you glue the deck down with all them clamps in the way

Attachment 118955

So I sat in the moaning chair for a bit and suddenly ah maybe the gunwhale will pull things fair.....

Attachment 118956

Yep beauty .....but..... can't glue the gunwhale on till the deck is glued and trimmed. What I have been trying to come up with is a way to push out the side panel without resorting to fitting some extra spreaders under the deck but looks like that is what is required.

Attachment 118957

While ruminating on the panel curve issue I've been fitting the inwhales/inwales or what ever you want to call them. I'm using paulownia and some salvaged roof tile batten stuff for the spacers think it is an asian hardwood of some sort, it is light.

Attachment 118958

BTW thanks Rob for the comments, high praise indeed coming from you.

That's an interesting problem, and you no doubt want a solution that Mik can explain elegantly in the plans. You do have that hatch/hole in the bulkhead and temporary spreaders could be pulled out through there after the deck is on, but before the goo has gone off- if you are using screws or fixings of some sort. The spreaders could be wedged into place and if access was a pain, you could attach a cord to them to pull them away with. But I guess that is not very elegant.

What about temporary srcewing on of a piece of gunwale from the outside? If you still don't get the fair curve, you could make up a piece of greater depth, but with the fair curve cut into the inside edge (so it becomes a concave edge) and a screw or two through it should pull the hull into the concavity till the deck is attached.
    (You've probably gone through these ideas already and all of this agonising is to save the weight of two small sticks....Mik may just say it's worth the extra 30 grams!))

Howdy,

The original plans have the gunwales glued on before the decks are fitted and go inside the sides.

However if using the router method we glued the edge supports in using drywall screws through the side panel from the outside and then clamp the gunwale on temporarily. There is a bump as the the gunwale goes over the countersunk screw heads but it pull everything fair enough. Do a dry run to check it.

MIK

Problem solvered, 2 tempory spreaders employed they sit in place without fasteners because the Paulownia crushes a little but I still should be able to pull them out when the deck is glued down.

I have ended up with a nice transition from behind the bulkhead through to the stem and with a small hollow for the first 6" or so at the stem, very handsome indeed. No pics as it's hard to pick up in the photo.
    Probably have to shape the inner edge of the gunwale now

Must schedule a pox session after a bit more shaping of inwales and gunwales lots of coating to do so I'll need to put aside a day somewhere.

One of the difficult things for me is watching while someone has a problem and maybe gets frustrated as they work it out ... and the best thing is when they see the way ahead clearly and it becomes a "walk in the park" (almost).

MIK

Alright Mike.
    I'm going to demand my money back unless you post some progress soon.
    Or I might just buy cheaper seats.
    Or I might throw Jaffas or jelley babies at the screen.
    Or I might demand to see your doctor's certificate.
    Or something
    Or nuffing
    Or not

Quote Originally Posted by rob540 View Post
    I'm going to demand my money back unless you post some progress soon.
    Or I might just buy cheaper seats.
    I would
    Or I might throw Jaffas or jelley babies at the screen.
    Use em if you got em
    Or I might demand to see your doctor's certificate.
    Would one from the dogs vet do
    Or something
    Or nuffing
    Or not
    Those comments are a very good description of my recent forays to the shed

Now this is where I should insert a glib retort full of wit the trouble is I can't think of one. So this will have to do

Truth is I have builders block and it was only caused by a very minor obstacle a broken inwhale.

But and I say but I can feel a return to work is on the cards any day now especially as the weather has warmed up.

I sensed a blockage.. I'm sure you will push through as soon as mental images of you using the finished boat overcome the feelings of frustration.
    What I mean is, a frustration can sometimes force you to step back, and that makes it easier (eventually) to see the bigger picture...and maybe that connects you to the initial motivation.

What happened with the inwale?

(knowing that talking can be good therapy too. Strangling the designer can be satisfying)

Just canvassing useful suggestions! And ways to make the world a better place.

MIK

Default Look what I done tonight

Quote Originally Posted by Boatmik View Post
    What happened with the inwale?
    MIK
    Well Mik what happened was this wood butcher got impatient, then rough then then ........sawed too far and then tried fitting it and bang well more of a whimpy crack actually.

Attachment 121594

But after much procrastination and delay my son popped in yesterday so I made up the centre spreader, not terribly ambitious just a couple of curves. Then we bit the bullet and coated everything in pox with the view that I will just glue and fill the offending bit in after the inwales or is it inwhales I never know are fitted.

Attachment 121609

Tonight I glued them in along with the beams, filled all the gaps glued the broken bit back in and done

Attachment 121595

Attachment 121596

Attachment 121597

See wasn't so hard after all I hear you say.

Maybe it wasn't so hard.
    But only because you did such a good job with those sculpted beams at each end.
    Multiple curves, in 3 dimensions. Impressive stuff.
    AJ

South Oz, the big smokey bit in the middle

Quote Originally Posted by b.o.a.t. View Post
    Maybe it wasn't so hard.
    But only because you did such a good job with those sculpted beams at each end.
    Multiple curves, in 3 dimensions. Impressive stuff.
    AJ
    Indeedy so. The photos don't do this little boat justice

Richard

What a difference those inwales make to the look of the hull! The edges look more solid, but the interior looks more capacious too.
    You've turned a corner Mike. She looks really fine.

Thanks for the comments they are most welcome.

Now how does the poem go

"I love a sunburnt country, A land of sweeping plains, Of ragged mountain ranges, Of drought and flooding rains"

It was only a couple of weeks ago it was too flamin cold to venture into the shed at night now the pox starts smokin cause it's still 30deg at 10pm.

Anyway enough whinging I seem to have got a burr under the saddle so here is tonights effort.

I rough cut the deck panel ready for glueing. Then a dry fit of the centre spreader flash bronze screws getting a bit carried away I know.

Attachment 121659

Played around with a rudder system I've mounted a lower gudgeon for a pin the top will be supported by the gunwhale.

Attachment 121661

The gudgeon brackets will be screwed to these bracings.

Attachment 121663

I'll make a PDR style rudder box so the blade can kick up the steering will be via endless rope from a yoke mounted on top of the foil.

Attachment 121662

Hopefully tomorrow night the decks will go on.

Mike