Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default New Member Intro - A Bluenoser

Hi,

I just joined the Michael Storer forum here, after lurking for awhile to get a feel for group. I'm a "Bluenoser", a moniker applied to anyone from Nova Scotia, Canada. I discovered the group quite accidently finding a reference to someone I know who lives in the same Town (Berwick) and who had been very active in another forum. Steve McMahon, who several years back built a Pooduck Skiff.

Anyhoo, I wanna build a boat, but right now tossing around my options. Steve very kindly offered to help supervise a Pooduck build and he's got a lot of stuff to get me started, frames and jigs and the like. Not wanting to worsen the poverty of any naval architect, I'd certainly respect copyright and buy my own set of plans.

Right now, the Pooduck may be a little ambitious for me, both in terms of skills and commitment. If I'm honest with myself, I'd probably sail a dozen times in a season on nearby inland lakes. A cartopper is thus alluring to satisfy an impulse when it happens. An easy, relatively cheap build is also attractive. It would be just me and sometimes my wife. Sail first, row a bit second.

We've both got some sailing experience, but that was a couple of decades ago. Albacore, Laser, Bluenose, Hughes 31. The cruising bug bit us but it didn't last. I most enjoyed the small boats.

I just picked up Mik's OZ Racer plans and his supplemental plan for the balanced lug rig. I told him that his exuberance and ongoing engagement with everyone in the group played a big part in exploring his forum...and his plans.

Can't start for quite awhile as I've got to redo all the trim moulding in my house first. But I might putter for an hour here or there once I decide on a boat. I'm intrigued by Son of Goat and perhaps by the time I'm actually ready to go, the plans might be ready to go.

Anyhoo, kudos to members in this group with your collected encyclopedic knowledge, friendly nature and good humour. It's quite special, IMHO.

Bob

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

I agree ... it is a great group with a wide range of sailing and building experience.

I am continually impressed by the range of discussion and my thinking and designing is much better for it.

MIK